can I use thnderbolt to Firewire cable on this drive to move data to a firewire device.
Son's school has MACs with Firewire for film editing stations, his laptop is MacBookPro Retina w/Thunderbolt, want fastest drive to move media files in between. Would think Thunderbolt from Laptop to/from drive but REQUIRE Firewire to get to the editing stations in class. Thank you
- Asked by Kenneth D from Saint Charles
- Jan 14, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use thnderbolt to Firewire cable on this drive to move data to a firewire device.)
1 Answer from the Community
No, you can not connect this to a mac with firewire. The adapter you are referring to only work in the other direction. A device with a single Thunderbolt port can only connect to a computer or other device connected to a computer via thunderbolt. A device with multiple Thunderbolt ports connects one to a computer or device connected to a computer, and the other(s) are for connecting more devices to the computer.
I recommend getting the thunderbolt to firewire adapter and just plugging the firewire drive into the 2nd thunderbolt port, or using this drive via USB on the stations in the class.
- Answered by Russell K from Severn
- Mar 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
External Thunderbolt drive to older Firewire Mac adaptor???
- Asked by Tom W from Salt Lake City
- Jul 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (External Thunderbolt drive to older Firewire Mac adaptor???)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…
how do you connect a macbook to firewire device?
- Asked by Jason W from Janesville
- Nov 17, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (how do you connect a macbook to firewire device?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter