Display Port - HDMI
On the use of the Sharp with a new Mac Pro, on the Sharp end I understand the Display Port connector can be used. What about on the Mac Pro end? Does it connect to the sole HDMI connector or to one of the Thunderbolt connectors (leaving the HDMI untapped)? Does a separate connecting cord need to be purchased? One other question, is the Mac Pro HDMI connection output only or input-output? Thanks!
- Asked by Scott B from Arlington
- Jan 9, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Display Port - HDMI)
2 Answers from the Community
You can run a Thunderbolt cable to the Sharp 4k display (up to 3) or to an Apple 27" Monitor (up to 6). You'll notice the the Mini Display Port connector looks the same as the Thunderbolt cable. I have read that the cables are not backwards compatible (you can't use a mini display port cable with a thunderbolt i/o). This leaves the HDMI free. You will need to purchase a Thunderbolt cable if you do't have one already as the only thing included in the box with the Mac Pro is the power cable.
Whats in the box
- Answered by Scott D from Chino Hills
- Jan 9, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
If you are using the DisplayPort cable, connect the mini DisplayPort end to one of the Mac Pro (Late 2013) Thunderbolt ports.
Search for Apple support article HT5918 for more details on using multiple displays with the Mac Pro (Late 2013).
The HDMI port is an output for video and audio.
- Answered by Anthony T from Wilmette
- Jul 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I plug this into the HDMI port on my Retina MBP and then into the hdmi port on my external monitor to use as a display?
- Asked by Sam L from Virginia Beach
- May 28, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I plug this into the HDMI port on my Retina MBP and then into the hdmi port on my external monitor to use as a display?)
- Asked about: Apple HDMI to HDMI Cable 1.8 m
Does the Thunderbolt Display have HDMI port, or can an adapter be used to change HDMI into thunderbolt
- Asked by Orlando M from Lakeland
- Nov 19, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Thunderbolt Display have HDMI port, or can an adapter be used to change HDMI into thunderbolt)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
CONNECT MACBOOK AIR TO HDMI
- Asked by Peter I from South Croydon
- Mar 3, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (CONNECT MACBOOK AIR TO HDMI)
- Asked about: Mac