Can the new 21” iMac’s USB power it?
I have checked G-Technology’s website, There is a note:
“** NOTE: G-DRIVE mini is bus powered when attached to a 6 or 9-pin FireWire port. The USB port on some computers may not supply enough power to reliably operate G-DRIVE mini systems larger than 320 GB. An optional power supply is available for use with G-DRIVE mini if your system does not have a FireWire port or your USB port does not provide adequate power.”
I want to ensure that the new 21” iMac’s USB port have enough power to use this drive without using the power cord. I want to use it for Time Machine. I hate power cord, i want less cable on my desktop.
- Asked by Chung-pui K
- Dec 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new 21” iMac’s USB power it?)
2 Answers from the Community
Not a problem!
The new iMacs feature USB 3.0, which will provide more-than-enough power for the drive. Because the drive is bus-powered, you will not require an external power source!
- Answered by Teij S from Chilliwack
- Mar 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
It SHOULD work, considering you plug it in directly to your iMac, not through a USB hub.
- Answered by Dedrick S from New York
- Jan 7, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
need cable to connect external backup to new iMac 21.5 usb port. Present cable to large to go for usb port
- Asked by Cynthia C from New Smyrna Beach
- Mar 11, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (need cable to connect external backup to new iMac 21.5 usb port. Present cable to large to go for usb port)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Can I use the new Apple USB Superdrive with my iMac?
- Asked by Evan H from Dublin
- Nov 19, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the new Apple USB Superdrive with my iMac?)
- Asked about: Apple USB SuperDrive
can a 2009 21" iMac use as a second monitor for a new macbook pro?
- Asked by Ka-pan T from Cupertino
- Dec 15, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can a 2009 21" iMac use as a second monitor for a new macbook pro?)
- Asked about: Mac