Prominently features "turns itself down when you're not home" but what is the definition of "not home"? iDevice not in range?
* If "not home" is defined as certain times of day, this is no better than existing programmable thermostats, just (maybe) easier to program.
* if "not home" is defined as certain times of day - except when the iDevice it's paired with is near, that's slightly better than a traditional thermostat.
* if "not home" is defined as "whenever the paired iDevice is not near" then it's actually a fail, because if some household members don't have an iDevice, or don't pair their device, then the thermostat is set wrong when people are present (maid, babysitter, housesitter, nanny, children, grandma).
3 Answers from the Community
It actually has nothing to do with any other devices. The Nest has a proximity/motion sensor system that detects movement above waist-level or so (so that pets do not trigger it.)
- Answered by Christian L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The Nest thermostat has a built in motion sensor, if there is mo motion detected for 2 hours it defaults to "away" mode. I have mine set for 65 degrees when nobody is home. It also has a built in setting where it will not allow the temperature to drop below 45 degrees.
Pets will not set off the motion sensor either.
- Answered by Andrew J from Milwaukee
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Actually if all else fails this feature can be disable.
- Answered by Jacques D from St Catharines
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Does the multi-touch feature include traditional mouse button capabilities?
- Asked by Jay H from Branson
- Jan 3, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the multi-touch feature include traditional mouse button capabilities?)
- Asked about: Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Tablet -…
which iDevice is good for a 13 year old
- Asked by James A from Phoenix
- Jan 26, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (which iDevice is good for a 13 year old)
- Asked about: iPod
What is the range the Express Base?
- Asked by Ricardo H from Thornton
- Dec 8, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the range the Express Base?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express