Can the nest run on a 230 AC circuit
- Asked by Joachim W from Duncan
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the nest run on a 230 AC circuit)
2 Answers from the Community
The Nest Thermostat cannot be wired directly to your heating system since it is using lower voltage (12V vs. 230V) and would be irreparably damaged if connected that way. It uses a transformer to lower the voltage to a lower level.
In the US boilers also use a lower voltage and as a result of this Nest can be connected directly to provide boiler control. In the UK and Europe we use 120-240v boilers. For these types of boilers an additional piece of hardware is provided called the Heat Link. This connects to the boiler and turns it on and of at the Thermostats (or your) request.
Using Heat Link to control your boiler allows you to put the Thermostat where you’d like - it can be where you have an existing wired Thermostat installed or in a new place. So if you don’t have Thermostat wires in the wall or if the existing Thermostat was poorly placed, you can still install Nest in a good spot.
- Answered by Ken Y
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Currently the Nest Thermostat is 24v AC only.
- Answered by David K from Santa Clara
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Is this product 120v (US version) or 230v (UK Version)?
- Asked by Mark E from Whiteley
- Aug 16, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this product 120v (US version) or 230v (UK Version)?)
- Asked about: Nest Protect: Smoke + Carbon Monoxi…
How long will the Pro 1500 run without ac power?
- Asked by James M. C from Beverly Hills
- Jan 7, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (How long will the Pro 1500 run without ac power?)
- Asked about: APC Power Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500