I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library
I am about to purchase a Mac Mini which I intend to use as a home server. My iTunes library is currently just shy of 3TB (includes Movies & TV Shows) so I will need to connect an external drive which iTunes will point at.
Ideally I would like to leave the Mac Mini and external hard drive on all the time and for them to wake when required to avoid wear on the hard disk.
I know that this should be very straight forward but I have read that there are some issues with Mountain Lion whereby external drives are ejected when the machine wakes from sleep.
I will be using iTunes with Home Sharing enabled so that any member of my family can access the library from their iPad or the Apple TV we have in the living room.
Does my proposed set up sound correct and will there be any issues I should consider?
- Asked by Christopher B
- Nov 28, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library)
2 Answers from the Community
I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. It works fine but occasionally there is a slight delay when using iTunes as the external drive spins up.
- Answered by Gavin M
- May 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have this drive for my i tunes only and it works excellent!!!
- Answered by Neil W
- Mar 16, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I am wondering if this would make a good external drive from an iMac for a iTunes Library?
- Asked by David D from Glen Ellyn
- Jan 29, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (I am wondering if this would make a good external drive from an iMac for a iTunes Library?)
- Asked about: LaCie 500GB Porsche Design P'9223 U…
Can I play music off a Mac Pro laptop using Time Capsule as my iTunes library storage source, wirelessly?
- Asked by Bill C from San Francisco
- Dec 12, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I play music off a Mac Pro laptop using Time Capsule as my iTunes library storage source, wirelessly?)
- Asked about: Mac
what can i use to move my big itunes library onto a drive of some sort
- Asked by Scott M from Falls Church
- Jan 12, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (what can i use to move my big itunes library onto a drive of some sort)
- Asked about: Mac