can I use this as a time machine for two iMacs and a Notebook Pro at the same time
We have two iMacs and a Notebook Pro all running OSX Mountain Lion and Windows 7 is it possible to partition the drive on the LaCie into three (or six). How many USB ports does it have?
- Asked by Bill T
- Oct 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use this as a time machine for two iMacs and a Notebook Pro at the same time)
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, can be used as a Time Machine volume for multiple machines by sharing the LaCie disk over a network (wired or wireless) via a AirPort Extreme Base Station.
You need to:
1. Have an Airport Extreme Base Station connected as part of your home network (read above);
2. Plug the LaCie drive into the USB port on the Airport Extreme;
3. Use 'Airport Utility' application to set up the LiCie unit as a shared drive;
4. Back in the Finder, select your Airport Extreme in the sidebar of a folder window to mount the LaCie (network) drive;
5. In System Settings / Time Machine, select the LaCie (network) drive as one of your back-up drives;
6. Repeat items 4 and 5 above on your other Macs and they will all utilise the same LaCie drive as Time Machine volume.
[This works reasonably well but is much slower that directly connected Time Machine drives (via FireWire or USB2/USB3, etc. The initial full back-up of each machine may therefore take several hours but after that it's not so noticable.]
The drive can be partitioned, however that does not mean that it can be simultaneous connected to multiple machines (via USB) other than as a network share, as outlined above. Windows 7 should also be able to the available network shared disk, but I'm not certain how well this would work.
Since USB does not support daisy chaining, USB external drives have only one USB port to connect to. [This can be seen in the photos of this model in the Apple Store – see photo of backplane showing USB port (rectangle with blue centre) and power adaptor connection (circular port on RHS).
- Answered by Matthew C from Carseldine
- Oct 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this drive be used by two computers at the same time
- Asked by Jason S from Bowling Green
- Feb 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this drive be used by two computers at the same time)
- Asked about: PROMISE Pegasus2 R8 32TB (8 by 4TB)…
Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?
- Asked by Josh H
- Jun 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB