do I have to use the optical output for sound or is there another alternative?
I have many albums on my IPAD and just bought an apple TV. I would like to play the music on my stereo system which is a Yamaha receiver but it is an older system and it dosen't have an optical audio input. Is there a way to connect the apple TV to the receiver without the optical audio cable ?
- Asked by Harris S from Sedro Woolley
- Mar 27, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (do I have to use the optical output for sound or is there another alternative?)
2 Answers from the Community
You'll need some kind of conversion for the audio signal, either an analog audio output from your TV (which might convert the digital audio that it receives over the HDMI cable), or a little box that converts the optical audio signal to stereo RCA signals. The converter box is about the size of a deck of cards, costs about $40.
One caveat here is that the cheapest converter boxes will only convert stereo, not the 5.1 or 7.1 dolby. You have to pay up $ if you want a converter box to do more than stereo. This means that movie sources that don't let you opt for stereo audio might not work with the cheap converter box. That might work if you rely on your TV for movie sound.
- Answered by Matthew J from Ann Arbor
- May 10, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Buy something like that:
Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to R/L Stereo Audio Converter
Find by google (canonot post link here).
- Answered by Mario P from Scottsdale
- May 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Is it possible to record tv sound on an iPad or iPod? There are an optical digital audio and 2 x RCA output sockets on the TV.
- Asked by Eric B
- Sep 1, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to record tv sound on an iPad or iPod? There are an optical digital audio and 2 x RCA output sockets on the TV.)
- Asked about: Apple Composite AV Cable
Is there a way to access both optical and analog audio outputs simultaneously?
- Asked by Ed T from Locust Grove
- Jun 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to access both optical and analog audio outputs simultaneously?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express