Does this unit support 5.1 digital surround? I do not see input or out put for digital audio.
- Asked by Steve R from Toronto
- Sep 12, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this unit support 5.1 digital surround? I do not see input or out put for digital audio.)
3 Answers from the Community
No. I asked Elgato and they say they have no plans to include anything better than stereo audio to any of their products now or in the future. I'm a recording engineer and I've spent thousands of dollars on my listening environment, and yet I can't find a single Apple supported product that records Dolby Digital or DTS. I understand that there would be a licensing fee, but I for one would be glad to pay extra for the ability. I know one person who bought an M-Audio firewire recording interface and he uses Pro Tools and FCP compressor. But that seems like so much work just so I can record videos to watch on the way to work. If anybody does know of a video capture solution (that will work with a Mac Book Pro) that records AC3 or DTS please suggest it here. I'm sure there are many of us looking for something that'll do it. Thanks! And to Elgato...what the heck is wrong with you people???
- Answered by Shaun F from Toronto
- Mar 2, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
EyeTV will record 5.1 audio if you use a different box like the HDPVR by Hauppauge. The only problem is the software cannot change channels thru the other box. So using it as a DVR is not possible. There are IR blaster workarounds but I cannot vouch for them as I've never tried one.
- Answered by Justin A from Rockville
- Mar 16, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
- Answered by Dc H from Philadelphia
- Jan 27, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Is this compatible with my 5.1 home theater speaker?
- Asked by Emard M from Orem
- Sep 15, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this compatible with my 5.1 home theater speaker?)
- Asked about: Apple Composite AV Cable
what is the audio output through optical when playing iTunes or pandora? 2 channel digital or 5.1?
- Asked by James B from Bethlehem
- Nov 22, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the audio output through optical when playing iTunes or pandora? 2 channel digital or 5.1?)
- Asked about: iPad