Connection to cable line or cable box?
I simply cannot get a clear read on how this thing works. Does it only work through a cable box or can I hook it up directly to my incoming cable line? At first I interpreted the description to mean that I could connect it to my existing cable line, but now I am wondering if it only gets channels through a cable box. Can someone clarify this for me before I open the box? I think I made a major mistake in misinterpreting how the connection actually works and since I have not opened the box yet, I don't want to commit until I am clear on this issue. Thanks.
- Asked by Marlene H from Bel Air
- Dec 14, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Connection to cable line or cable box?)
2 Answers from the Community
It connects to your video source (cable box) via Component, Composite, or S-Video cable. It does not have a built in tuner and cannot be directly connected to your incoming cable. It has an IR blaster to remotely change the channels on your cable or satellite box. This device still requires a Cable box with component output (for HD) and a Mac in close proximity with a Core 2 Duo or better processor. Basically all this unit does is takes the output of your cable box and feeds it to a Mac via USB where it is then viewable in a window.
- Answered by Jerry M from Seattle
- May 6, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
cable box. it has the ir transmitters to change the channel on the cable box. works pretty well doing that.
- Answered by Dc H from Philadelphia
- Jan 27, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
What cable can I get to connect Sky box to my 24" iMac?
- Asked by Andrea E from London
- Nov 7, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What cable can I get to connect Sky box to my 24" iMac?)
- Asked about: Kanex ATV Pro HDMI to VGA Adapter w…
How do you connect airport express to a wall cable without a cable box?
- Asked by Jennifer M from Sarasota
- Jul 15, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (How do you connect airport express to a wall cable without a cable box?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express