Will I miss/need Microsoft Office even with the iWork apps?
Heading off to college in a few months. Looking for the right direction to go in for a laptop.
- Asked by Rodell J from Detroit
- May 31, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I miss/need Microsoft Office even with the iWork apps?)
5 Answers from the Community
You can able to purchase Microsoft office for Mac O/S as they are same as PC ones, iWork app is as good as them but make sure you are aware of what software your college use and what structure system for submitting your work because when I was at college, I had to upload my work via Moodle app and they only use Microsoft office.
- Answered by Luke T
- Jun 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes you will, Some classes will require MS office formatted documents specially submitted to online classes or disk submitted documents even then it may nor format correctly depending on how up to date the teacher is.
- Answered by Gary A from Fort Sumner
- Jun 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
No. I write scripts and work with lots of corporate types who use Word and Excel. I write exclusively in Pages 4 and Numbers - compatibility is not an issue - just save your documents as .DOC or .XLS files and email them to share - they should have no problems reading the files. Likewise I can read word files in Pages.
Pages 4 is much nicer to use, and Word is bloated with features 99% of people will never use, or even know are there. Beware, I am not referring to the latest version of Pages - this may be significantly stripped down - read reviews.
For power users of spreadsheets there may be some obscure Excel features not supported in numbers but it has not been an issue in 7 years of using Numbers. Likewise Pages, once of twice a weird layout might look a little different but these are rare occurrences.
The price differential is significant, and of course you don't need to use the bloated and unintuitive Office suite.
- Answered by Paul O from Godalming
- Jul 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
No apple apps are much easy and better
- Answered by Jay S
- Jul 3, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
I don't think you will. I have been using the iWork apps since my freshmen year of college and have had no issues. I mainly use Pages and when I submit the document electronically I simply export it as a doc file. That allows for my professor to open it and edit it just like a normal Microsoft document. And I can open Microsoft documents on my laptop as well. However if you use Excel more, then I suggest you get Microsoft Office instead of iWork. I used Excel a lot in high school and now have Numbers, equivalent to excel, but I find that there is a big difference between the two.
- Answered by Crystal P from Beaverton
- Jun 27, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
Can I share iWork documents with Microsoft office on a PC ?
- Asked by Susan C from Darwin
- Dec 18, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I share iWork documents with Microsoft office on a PC ?)
how does iworks powerpoint compare to microsoft office powerpoint?
- Asked by Grace Y from Santa Monica
- Aug 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (how does iworks powerpoint compare to microsoft office powerpoint?)
Do the mac has its office apps?
- Asked by Ranganath P from Austin
- Jun 22, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Do the mac has its office apps?)