iMac vs MacPro for video editing -FCP7 and maybe FCPX, and Photoshop
I need to buy a new mac for editing . I use a Nikon D800 for capture and even Go Pro, so I need to export a lot to Pro Ress to edit.
Normally I edit more than just a cam, so I need to line them all - normally 3 cam
I have a doubt about two machines :
first an iMac
Intel Core i7 quad-core at 3,5 GHz, Turbo Boost to 3,9 GHz
32 GB SDRAM DDR3 at 1600MHz - 4 x 8 GB
1 TB Flash
Superdrive USB Apple
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 M 4GB GDDR5
G-Technology G-RAID 8TB
or Mac Pro
8-core at 3,0 GHz with 25MB cache L3
64 GB ( 4x 16GB) DDR3 ECC at 1866 Mhz
1TB Flash PCIe
2 GPU AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB VRAM GDDR5 each
Superdrive USB Apple
Can anypne explain to me what is better for my kind of work?
What would you buy if money is an issue.
Thank you so much
- Asked by Cezanne Foto E Video U from Porto
- Flag as inappropriate (iMac vs MacPro for video editing -FCP7 and maybe FCPX, and Photoshop)
2 Answers from the Community
Okay, so I think you are either going a bit overkill or underpowered. If you think you need only 4 cores, then I would say go with an iMac or even a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display. If you think you need more than 16 GB RAM a laptop of any sort isn't an option. I personally think that a 8-core Mac Pro wouldn't benefit you. Some applications won't be able to take advantage of that many cores. If you are looking at 32 GB RAM on the iMac there wouldn't be a need for 64 GB on the Pro. Additionally, you would want the RAID unit on both computers. I would personally say if you have the money get the 6-core pro, 32 GB RAM, 3 GB graphics cards, and use the other money for the RAID unit, another camera or a new display.
Hope this helps!
- Answered by Brett D from Naperville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I do lots of video editing and have used both imac and macbook pro.
If you edit from home i would definetly get an Imac as the displaying is so much larger.
if you like me travel lots a macbook pro can be the choice.
if you can buy both then... its paradise.
- Answered by Marco M from London
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
iMac vs. Mac Pro for video editing
- Asked by Sara M from Springfield
- Apr 6, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (iMac vs. Mac Pro for video editing)
Can u give me the best specs for autocad rendering ,photoshop and video editing for iMac 27 inch. Thanks Architecture Student here.best fit for budget
- Asked by Michael John G from Manila
- Nov 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can u give me the best specs for autocad rendering ,photoshop and video editing for iMac 27 inch. Thanks Architecture Student here.best fit for budget)