How do I upgrade my OS
I have Mac Mini with Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a). Can I upgrade my software ? and how ?
- Asked by Brian G from Toronto
- Oct 4, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I upgrade my OS)
1 Answer from the Community
You can upgrade to Snow Leopard.
Purchase the install disk from an Apple Store (online or an actual store front) for about $20.
While most people simply install directly over their present OS, I prefer to do one of the following:
1) back up my current hard drive partition with the old OS to an empty partition (on internal or external drive) by using Disk Utility --> Restore. (First make sure the empty partition is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or GUID.) Make sure you can start up from the back up (hold option key while turning on computer, or use "Start Up Disk" in System Preferences). Then install Snow Leopard to either partition (preferably an internal partition).
2) install Snow Leopard to a new blank partition (use Disk Utility to create a new Partition and format as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or GUID.) Install Snow Leopard to new partition. During install, the installer will search for other partitions with an OS. It will then ask if you want to import OS settings, Apps and files. Do this to have all of your information copied over to the new partition. Or, don't do this in order to have a fresh clean install of Snow Leopard.
After restarting in Snow Leopard, go to Apple menu and do System Updates until you are at OS 10.6.8.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Oct 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will I be able to upgrade from OS X Lion to OS X Mountain Lion?
- Asked by Liliana R R from Hanford
- Feb 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I be able to upgrade from OS X Lion to OS X Mountain Lion?)
how do i upgrade to os x mavericks v10.9
- Asked by Arvin C from Palos Verdes Estates
- Nov 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i upgrade to os x mavericks v10.9)
No answers yet
What is the next upgrade after OS X 10.7.5?
- Asked by Janice M from Stanfield
- Sep 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the next upgrade after OS X 10.7.5?)
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard