Can you save text message to a file on phone
I want to know if someone sends me something through IM message can I save it to my phone other than on messages?
- Asked by Michael H from Mc Neill
- Aug 4, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you save text message to a file on phone)
3 Answers from the Community
You have a few options, depending on how you need the messages saved:
1) As the two other posters mentioned, you can take screenshots of your messages by holding the power button while pressing the home -screen button. Those screenshots will then be in your camera roll as photo files.
2) If you tap and hold on a conversation bubble you are interested in saving in Messages, you can copy the text from that bubble, and then post it elsewhere, like the Notes or Contacts app. This might be helpful if you just need to save some information for a short period of time while on the go, like a phone number or address.
3) If you want to save many messages, you may want to look into third-party software. I'm one of the developer for a program called Decipher TextMessage (deciphertools.com) that you can use to copy all of your text messages, iMessages, MMS, etc from Messages to your computer via a backup. If you need long stretches of conversations back on your phone not in messages, you could email yourself the relevant files (or copy paste) from Decipher TextMessage to your iPhone, and copy paste the whole conversations where you need it.
Unfortunately (and fortunately, for security reasons,) the Messages app is "sandboxed" from the rest of the apps on your phone. It makes it hard to write on-device apps that integrate with the Messages app.
I hope that answers your question! If not, feel free to reply here, or head over to our website and use the support page to ask us further questions. We're happy to help.
- Answered by Kelly W from Chandler
- May 3, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Hmmm - not exactly, but I wonder if perhaps taking a screen shot may be an option? Using the home key and the power on/off button and pressing at the same time will take the screen shot and store on your camera roll for later? Maybe not quite the answer you were looking for - also, if you are using iCloud - you can back up text and mms messages to it - perhaps worth looking into?
- Answered by Jo T from Ballarat
- Aug 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
No, you cannot.
You can, however, screen cap the conversation and save the pictures.
Or, you can purposefully back up your iPhone to a computer which will store that conversation to that specific backup. That seems a bit tedious, but if you really want that conversation on your phone for a later time, then you'll do what you gotta do.
- Answered by Andres Jr T from Yuma
- Aug 7, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Do text messages/imessage affect the GB available on the phone?
- Asked by Camille S from Orleans
- May 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Do text messages/imessage affect the GB available on the phone?)