Can Apple TV be used as a wireless router?
- Asked by Beth S from Wabasha
- May 18, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Apple TV be used as a wireless router?)
2 Answers from the Community
No, the Apple TV cannot be used as a wireless wouter. You need to have a primary wireless router (Airport Extreme, Time Capsule, Airport Express, Linksys, D-Link, etc.) that the Apple TV can wirelessly connect to for Internet access.
I have a Time Capsule (the primary wireless router) plus two Apple TVs and an Airport Express. To correct the previous commenter, the Airport Express has LIMITED AirPlay functionality. Using iTunes on a Mac, iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, you can redirect the AUDIO stream to an Airport Express. However, to redirect an audio/video stream, you NEED an Apple TV; the Airport Express has no video connectivity (e.g. HDMI) whatsoever.
- Answered by Julian B from Baie-d'urfe
- May 29, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No. The Apple TV DOES work great, however, with Apple's Airport Express, which is the company's Apple-branded router (part number is MC414LL/A if you want to put that into the search bar at the top right).
The Airport Express does mimic the Airplay functionality built into an Apple TV. I've never personally used it, but I know you can mirror your Apple device to an HDTV using the router. I've only used my Apple TV for this.
- Answered by Becca H from Austin
- May 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
can i use one apple tv on two tvs?
- Asked by Amanda B from Happy Valley
- Apr 22, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use one apple tv on two tvs?)