Dress up your iPhone with an iPhone 4 Bumper. Choose one of six colors or (PRODUCT) RED and slip it around the edge of your iPhone. With metal buttons for volume and power, two-tone colors, and a combination of rubber and molded plastic, Bumpers add a touch of style to any iPhone 4S or iPhone 4.
What's in the Box?
- iPhone 4 Bumper
- iPhone 4 Bumpers are compatible only with iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. They will not work with any other iPhone model.
Ratings & Reviews
Nice concept, has issues, not ideal
I got the iPhone 4 bumper on the day of launch and used it since launch until last week (so for few months). Here are my thoughts:
* Cool concept - Works well for people who want a light weight cover/safety yet not carry the bulk. Truly Apple style design.
* Build - The body is firm, not flimsy. The rubber edge is like magnet, they will keep your phone still in any place, works great, I left it on the treadmill or car dash and it never moved. The rubber is soft, which gives it some protection in case the phone falls on a hard surface. By design the back is exposed but that is not an issue, it is a choice. The fit is perfect, you can slip it on or off easily, though I rarely did it (wish I did it sooner, keep reading). The rest of build has many issues covered under CONS.
* Buttons - The buttons feels great, you won't miss using the iPhone buttons. Getting to ringer button can be bit tough, not an issue though.
* Reception - Bumper or any cover is supposed to insulate the antenna shorting and avoid the iPhone 4 issue. It did as claimed but once I stopped using it, I noticed a different behavior, covered under CONS.
* Reception - So you would think that bumper will help with iPhone 4 antenna issue. Well, it did. My bars did not drop as it would otherwise. However, once I stopped using it (replaced it with ghost sticky skin), I noticed a significant improvement in my WiFi signal strength. This makes me wonder if it interfered with my WiFi antenna. Anyways, just an observation that I wanted to share here.
* Build - After a few months of use, I took off the bumper and found that the Inner lining had badly scratched the metal edges/antenna of the phone. Phone's power button and the metal body is scratched from all sides. This is a quality failure. The lining is supposed to protect the phone body, not harm it. It has cheap plastic (or something similar) inside that does more harm than good ! Unfortunately, its too late for me, my phone is scratched in only the areas that was protected by the bumper (irony ?).
* Holes for ports - If you live in Apple world then this bumper is for you. But if you plan to use non-Apply headphones or USB connector (in car or otherwise), you are out of luck. The bumper holes are precisely built to fit the small apple connectors or similar (rare to find), nothing else would fit. Yet another reason why I dumped the bumper.
CONCLUSION - Cool concept, good fit, nice from outside, cheap harmful material inside, limits use of 3rd party headphones/adapters. Cons weigh more than Pros for me and I no longer am using it. …
- Written by Vikram C from Wilmington
2518 of 2808 people found this useful
Good case but ironic
When I got this case I was really excited to protect it and show it off. After 3 months of use I hsve noticed it has been scratchi ng my phone's stainless steel bumper. There are nor scratches all over my phone from an apple product that was supposed to protect it. …
- Written by Shady O from Houston
1178 of 1410 people found this useful
Good, but requires modification
The bumper is a good case for what it's meant for. It offers no screen or back glass protection at all. The problem is the conne ctors. The dock connector port is a perfect fit for the apple dock connectors. However, if you have any accessory or 3rd party cables, this is where it becomes an issue. The ipod adapter in my car wouldn't work. Even an older apple branded ipod cable doesn't fit with the bumper on.
Solution: I used a Dremmel to make the dock connector much more accommodating to other cables.
Longer term solution: bought another case. …
- Written by MICHAEL A B from SOMERVILLE
838 of 1067 people found this useful
Doesn't Fit the Phone
I bought the bumper case for the iPhone 4 way back when those products were new. Case worked great. I reused the old case on the 4S I got a year ago. The rubber eventually started to separate from the plastic part of the case so I thought, hey time for another bumper case. I bought a new one from the Apple Store, it said it was compatible with the 4S. I put it on and, man, is the fit tight. It's so tight that it presses the volume and the sleep/wake buttons. This has been a big problem. I have the screen randomly turn off while I'm using the phone because of the pressure the case exerts on the sleep/wake button, I've had phone calls end for the same reason. For this much money and this little case, it should fit better. It should fit like it used to. QC is slipping, or most likely Apple's vendor's are trying to cheat a little material out of each product by making it smaller, tighter, trying to save a penny here or there. I say make the product like you used to and charge $29.02. I fixed my case by spending time to stretch out the plastic. It works okay now, still not as good as the old case. I'll probably buy a more substantial case from a different vendor in the future. …
- Written by Chrlistopher M from Bronxville
3 of 3 people found this useful
Bumper does not fit phone
Same experience as other reviewers. The bumper's power on/off/sleep button constantly pushes down on the phone's power button, cau sing the power off screen to appear. Unbelievably bad quality from Apple and really maddening, especially when you buy it in a store and have to go all the way back to the store to return it. …
- Written by デビット シ from Williamsville
2 of 3 people found this useful
Flawed Design - Too Tight to Use!
Like many other reviewers here, I had an Apple iPhone Bumper for over a year and a half and it worked really, really well. 20 mon ths after buying it, it was finally tattered enough that I decided to go to the Apple Store to buy a new one.
I got home and Lo and Behold! Apple messed up the simple Bumper! It fit too tightly over the power button which caused it to regularly prompt the "power off swipe screen" and flash the lock screen on and off. I thought I had just picked up a bad Bumper from the Apple Store until I read its reviews on here and found that a significant number of people were experiencing the same problem. I'm scratching my head wondering how something like this wasn't noticed by the (usually competent) folks at Apple...
I am going to return the Bumper tomorrow and get a different iPhone case altogether. Here's the lesson I learned:
IF YOU BUY THE APPLE iPHONE BUMPER, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME. …
- Written by David J from Arlington
3 of 3 people found this useful