The Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable Hard Drive makes backing up your digital life simple - from your Mac, mobile devices or from social networks. Formatted for Mac, the hard drive is compatible with Time Machine back-up software from the minute you take it out of the box.
Install the free Seagate Mobile Backup app on your iOS or Android device to back up all of the pictures and videos from the device to the drive or the cloud. Back up mobile devices via a Wi-Fi connection or using Dropbox or Google Drive. With the Save feature, user-generated content on social media can be backed up and saved to the hard drive.
Install the downloadable HFS+ driver for Windows and use the drive interchangeably between Mac and PC computers without reformatting the drive.
- Slim, metal design
- Compatible with Time Machine backup software
- Mobile Backup App to protect photos/videos stored on your iOS or Android device
- Save directly from and share to social networking sites
- Use interchangeably between Mac and PCs without reformatting
Did you notice?The hard drive is formatted to Mac and compatible with Time Machine backup software as soon as you take it out of the box.
Apple Recommends ForBacking up your digital life on a handy, take-anywhere hard drive.
What's in the Box?
- Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable Hard Drive
- 18-inch (46 cm) USB 3.0 cable
- Quick-start guide
- Other Features: Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: USB
- Height: 0.96 cm/0.38 in.
- Width: 7.6 cm/3 in.
- Weight: 150 g
- Length: 11.35 cm/4.47 in.
- Mac - OS X 10.6 or higher
- PC - Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP3 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Mfr. Part Number: STDS2000900
- UPC or EAN No.: 763649052938
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
Ratings & Reviews
2 Terabytes for a good price
It's tiny, lightweight, matches my MacBook Pro if you care about those things. I had roughly 50G of music and another 30G of pics It's tiny, lightweight, matches my MacBook Pro if you care about those things. I had roughly 50G of music and another 30G of pics and it took 1-2 hours to safety transfer over. Easy set-up; plug it in to your USB, Time Machine picks up on it, downloads immediately. Not wireless, cord is pretty short, and no Wifi connects like the AirPort has. Few things:
- Gets warm/(hot) after being on for a while - which so far I'm not worried about. I'm mostly using this device to save stuff to that I won't be using right away anyway.
- Also a bit noisy when left on (USB plugged in) for longer than about an hour. It's a quiet whir at best but something to note...
Basically if you'll be constantly using your hard drive, you should try to invest the extra bucks on something more quiet and built for duration. But, if you're like me and only need oh geez about 20,00,000 MB of storage, then this hot buy is for you. …
- Written by Brianna G from LAS CRUCES
32 of 36 people found this useful
Two units, neither worked
This unit seems great for the price, but in my experience, it was too good to be true. The first unit never worked, I plugged it i This unit seems great for the price, but in my experience, it was too good to be true. The first unit never worked, I plugged it into the computer and got an error message saying the disc needed repair. Exchanged it for another unit which worked for a few days then, when I went to unplug it, the USB connector broke off. Returned it. …
- Written by Jeremy F from Lakeland
18 of 31 people found this useful
One of he best portable drives
Do get this drive. Fast, excellent, reliable, great price, small, on of the best portable reviewed and tested drives !!!
- Written by Dragomir V from PORTLAND
4 of 5 people found this useful
If you want to do anything more that use this drive to do anything more than back-up your Facebook files...save your money.
I g If you want to do anything more that use this drive to do anything more than back-up your Facebook files...save your money.
I got this in the hopes of being able to use it to store large files, and to share them between my computers.
- Written by Timothy M from Alexandria
Simple and Easy to Use
Really like the size of the Seagate drive. Exterior casing is durable and matches my Macbook Pro perfectly. Would be nice if it ca Really like the size of the Seagate drive. Exterior casing is durable and matches my Macbook Pro perfectly. Would be nice if it came with a sleeve to protect it when transporting it in my laptop bag. The price from the Apple Store is really competitive compared to Costco. I have had LaCie and WD drives and the Seagate seems to be the most durable. However, always backup your backups as these drives do eventually die. …
- Written by Ron H from Vancouver
download NTFS Driver for Mac OS so you can drag and drop
We tried for over an hour to get this thing working on MAC OS X 10.9.5. First format it for only MAC (not for Time machine). Ever We tried for over an hour to get this thing working on MAC OS X 10.9.5. First format it for only MAC (not for Time machine). Every time the thing asked us to register and register and register and never possible to drag and simpl drop. Then we found on a help forum the solution: seagate.com's homepage gives a porogram so you can download a NTFS driver. Done this, the thing works. I do not understand that Apple recommends this hard disk without having this drive already installed on MAC or telling clients to install this drive!! May be these guys are becoming lazy with the huge profits they make.... …
- Written by Nicolette K from Den Haag
1 of 1 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
does this drive have a driver for MAC OS V 14.0
- Asked by Cathy H from Winnipeg
- Dec 25, 2014
This drive doesn't need a driver for OSX.
- Answered by Frank K from Vancouver
- Dec 30, 2014
Is it Yosemite compatible
- Asked by Ron M
- Jan 28, 2015
Yes it is! I'm currently using this external hard drive with Yosemite 10.10.02.
- Answered by Jeremy L from Richmond
- Feb 23, 2015
Can I use this product to store my Dropbox files which result in saving and taking space on my computer?
- Asked by Trisha G from Little Rock
- Jan 11, 2015
Yes, you can store your dropbox on an external drive although that is not such a good idea. If you d Yes, you can store your dropbox on an external drive although that is not such a good idea. If you disconnect the drive, dropbox could misinterpret that as you deleting all your files, and then you would lose everything. …
- Answered by Rohan T from Oakland
- Feb 16, 2015
When I plug in the seagate slim mac, do I need to do anything else or does it automatically backup everything?
- Asked by Carl K from Coeur D'alene
- Oct 10, 2014
You need to run a set up. But that is easy. All you need to do is use the disk utility and click o You need to run a set up. But that is easy. All you need to do is use the disk utility and click on the TB hard drive; then find partition (if you want storage out of it too); then label it what ever you want for storage and time machine. Then click Apply. There are many videos about it on youtube. It is easy. If you just want storage, then you really don't have to do much. Just copy your stuff over by dragging it and letting go.
Hope it helps. …
- Answered by Aaron C from Gleneden Beach
- Oct 18, 2014
Can I use my Macbook Version 10.5.8 with this Hard Drive?
- Asked by Elena G from Woodbridge
- Sep 10, 2014
No. System Requirements: Mac - OS X 10.6 or higher.
- Answered by Robyn T from League City
- Sep 16, 2014