Combining advanced technology and elegant design, the rugged ioSafe Solo G3 hard drive delivers an unmatched level of fire and water protection for all the digital assets backed up from your Mac—rather like an aircraft's black box—yet it's truly affordable. And if disaster does strike, the ioSafe Data Recovery Service is there to help restore your data and hardware, whatever the circumstance.
A quiet addition to any environment
In your home, small office, or studios, the advanced ioSafe FloSafe airflow cooling technology provides nearly silent operation. If the Solo G3 senses destructive heat levels, such as in a fire, the FloSafe vents limit and protect your data from the extreme heat.
Families, businesses, and large enterprises alike turn to the ioSafe Solo and Data Recovery Service for the added peace of mind of knowing their digital lives – their memories, media, portfolios, data, and records – are protected by the ultimate external hard drive and ultimate safety net.
- Fireproof—1550º F, 1/2 hour per ASTM E119
- Waterproof—can withstand 10 feet of water for days
- Comes formatted for Mac systems, so you can start using the drive immediately
- Physical Theft Protection: Floor mount capable
- One year of data Recovery Service (DRS) up to $2,500 per Terabyte
- Option of extending DRS and hardware warranty up to five years
- 3 terabytes of storage
- USB 3.0
- Tested per UL, FCC, and CE standards
Did you notice?Tough fireproof and waterproof design also comes with free year of data recovery service.
Apple Recommends ForThe ultimate safety net for all the memories, media, portfolios, data, and records on your Mac.
What's in the Box?
- ioSafe Solo G3 Fireproof/Waterproof Hard Drive
- USB 3.0 cable
- Solo G3 quick start guide
- Other Features: Kensington Port, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 7.1 in./18.03 cm
- Weight: 15 lb./6.8 kg
- Length: 11 in./27.94 cm
- Mfr. Part Number: SK3TB-MAC
- UPC or EAN No.: 816519010955
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One-year data recovery service; one-year hardware warranty
Ratings & Reviews
Great, rugged drive for my life's essential data
Finally, I can make my wife happy because she's confident we won't lose our family pictures. I've put my central iPhoto archive on Finally, I can make my wife happy because she's confident we won't lose our family pictures. I've put my central iPhoto archive on the disk, and use it for Time Machine backups. Fast, and quiet. I love it. …
- Written by Adam S from San Francisco
30 of 32 people found this useful
I am protected!
Awesome and feel good about it. Easy to setup with TimeMachine. This thing is solid and looks good.
- Written by Jeffrey M from Fair Oaks
20 of 21 people found this useful
This thing is a tank - it's heavy but solid!
It hooked up to my Macbook Pro and time machine no problem. It's heavy, but I feel it's a safe backup for our family photos and wo It hooked up to my Macbook Pro and time machine no problem. It's heavy, but I feel it's a safe backup for our family photos and work files. …
- Written by Nicholas B from Columbia
19 of 21 people found this useful
Everything I wanted and more
This beast is solid and I feel a helluva lot safer about my data storage now. I wasn't expecting much from USB 3.0, but as it turn This beast is solid and I feel a helluva lot safer about my data storage now. I wasn't expecting much from USB 3.0, but as it turns out, it was way faster than I had anticipated. Backing up my entire hard drive took minutes instead of hours, and it was ridiculously easy to set up as well.
As a volunteer firefighter, I wanted to say another great thing about the fireproof aspect of this hard drive. There's an event in a fire called flashover that basically means when all combustible products in a room reach simultaneous ignition. It's among a firefighter's worst fears because our turnout gear, at best, would give us about 3 seconds of protection in a flashover. Flashovers occur at around 1100 degrees F. This hard drive is designed to take 1500 degrees F for 30 minutes. G-D forbid there's a burst pipe in the walls, or a fire at my place, at least I know that my data and my family pictures will be safe. …
- Written by Daniel M from Rockville
Best external hard drive ever
I have owned lots of external hard drives over the years from no names which fail after a year to high WD drives. The ioSafe drive I have owned lots of external hard drives over the years from no names which fail after a year to high WD drives. The ioSafe drives have always been my favorite as far as reliability goes and I have used their NAS server for my business for years. When the G3 came out, I was excited and instantly bought one for home use. My family and I have our entire DVD collection uploaded to iTunes and stream movies to 3 different Apple TV units in the house. With other drives such as WD, there was always a lag in streaming but the ioSafe G3 is very fast and has dramatically improved the refresh rate for all movies. The drive is so good that I bought a second one to use with Time Machine and now have 6 total TB of storage hooked up to the family iMac. I will not buy another brand of external hard drive. …
- Written by Mark M from LONG BEACH
1 of 1 people found this useful
Beefy and Safe
This box is relatively small for what it offers and very quiet. It's being used to backup a database server and copies the files w This box is relatively small for what it offers and very quiet. It's being used to backup a database server and copies the files with impressive speed. The fact it can be bolted down is also a great feature to deter theft. …
- Written by Michael W from Cleveland heights