Speck’s SmartShell case keeps your MacBook protected with its super-thin and lightweight two-piece design. The silky-smooth matte coating gives this case a great grippy feel. Anti-tip feet keep your MacBook stable and secure.
- Durable, ultra-thin (1.5mm) hard shell protects from scratches and scuffs
- Sleek, matte two-piece design is easy to put on and take off
- Anti-tilt rubberized feet keep your MacBook stable and secure
Did you notice?The Apple logo shines through the soft-touch frosted finish.
Apple Recommends ForHard-shell protection that keeps your MacBook light on its feet.
What's in the Box?
- Speck SmartShell Satin Case for MacBook
- Form Factor: Hard Case
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Mfr. Part Number: SPK-A2179
- UPC or EAN No.: HC997ZM/B
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One year (For details, please visit http://www.speckproducts.com/warranty-returns)
Ratings & Reviews
Doesn't even snap on
I just purchased and returned the Satin Case from the apple store today. The reason being is that the bottom case does not even fu I just purchased and returned the Satin Case from the apple store today. The reason being is that the bottom case does not even fully snap on! I could get 3 clips to work but the last clip just won't snap on!
I asked the Apple specialist to help me out and even she couldn't do it. We tried it on a macbook air on the floor and on that model, she only 2 of the front clips snapped on. We went through 3 other cases (1 the same color, 1 clear and 1 teal) from the same company before we finally gave up. I'm surprised apple is selling these in-store when they don't even work for the computer.
The one star is for the nice apple employee that helped me :) otherwise it would be none because the product just plainly doesn't work. …
- Written by Tze chang kevin C from Surrey
97 of 102 people found this useful
I purchased one of these Speck cases last year with my new MacBook Air. We use this laptop a couple of times a month, so this is n I purchased one of these Speck cases last year with my new MacBook Air. We use this laptop a couple of times a month, so this is not something that is receiving heavy use. The Speck case has cracked and is falling apart. I cannot imagine how soon this case would have failed is this laptop was getting used daily! Very poor quality for a pricey case, I am very disappointed! …
- Written by John Michael H from McCordsville
75 of 77 people found this useful
Save your receipt
One snap on the bottom broke off within 1-2 months of purchase, which then resulted in movement/other pieces breaking, to the poin One snap on the bottom broke off within 1-2 months of purchase, which then resulted in movement/other pieces breaking, to the point where the bottom would not stay attached. Unfortunately, I did not save my receipt, so the manufacturer would not stand by their product and replace the broken/defective bottom half. …
- Written by eric A from Grafton
63 of 66 people found this useful
The clips break off after a few months of use. I would not recommend this case. The quality is not worth the price.
- Written by Steven T from Calgary
1 of 1 people found this useful
Works like a charm
I bought the glossy hard case for my first macbook and it lasted for years. Second time around I went with this satin case and I I bought the glossy hard case for my first macbook and it lasted for years. Second time around I went with this satin case and I like the grippy feel. It snaps on easily and does what it's supposed to, nothing broke but then again; I do not plan to take my case off and on. I only wish they made a clear-satin case. …
- Written by Silayan R from Waipahu
4 of 7 people found this useful
Although it feels nice, and looks good, this case is made of very weak material. After just a few months of gental use it started Although it feels nice, and looks good, this case is made of very weak material. After just a few months of gental use it started to crack along the edges. Pieces of it would break off and the raged edges would scratch my computer. From there it just got worse. I would NOT recommend this case. …
- Written by Peter D from Dallas
8 of 9 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can the case affect cooling? I.e. cause overheating?
- Asked by Rkg E from Edinburgh
- Mar 9, 2013
no, the cooling vent is not covered
- Answered by David S
- Apr 8, 2013
Does this block the new dual mic on the MacBook Air 13" 2013?
- Asked by Marc P
- Jun 18, 2013
No. It does not block the new dual mic on the MBA 13" 2013. I bought this case today and I can confi No. It does not block the new dual mic on the MBA 13" 2013. I bought this case today and I can confirm the case fits the latest generation of MBA. …
- Answered by Kevin H from Killarney Hts
- Aug 28, 2013
Does it fit a 2009 macbook air model A1304?
- Asked by Ashley T from Los Lunas
- Sep 11, 2013
No answers yet