Speck’s SmartShell Case perfectly matches the sleek, lightweight design of your MacBook. This super-slim glossy hard case is precision-engineered for a perfect fit. And for a striking appearance, each case offers rich color and a striking glossy finish that lets you show off your unique style—while allowing your Mac’s design shine through. Anti-tip feet keep your MacBook stable and secure.
- Durable, ultra-thin hard shell protects from scratches and scuffs
- Sleek, glossy two-piece design is easy to put on and take off
- Anti-tilt rubberized feet keep your MacBook stable and secure
Did you notice?The striking color effects let the fine design of your MacBook—and the Apple logo—shine through.
Apple Recommends ForHard-shell protection that keeps your MacBook light on its feet.
What's in the Box?
- Speck SmartShell Case for MacBook
- Form Factor: Hard Case, Snap On
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Mfr. Part Number: SPK-A2178
- UPC or EAN No.: 848709005267
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One year (For details, please visit http://www.speckproducts.com/warranty-returns)
- Speck recommends cleaning your case before you put it on your MacBook and then once a month thereafter to avoid any build-up of dust or dirt. Simply wipe it with a soft, clean cloth or rinse with warm, soapy water. Before re-applying the case, make sure it’s completely dry—and also wipe down your Mac to remove any dust or particles.
Ratings & Reviews
One of Specks Best MacBook Cases
I've been a speck consumer for a long time, since I purchased the first generation iPod Shuffle to be exact. The Clear color case I've been a speck consumer for a long time, since I purchased the first generation iPod Shuffle to be exact. The Clear color case for the Air is well suggested over any other as I am owner of this model and the Matte Black. The Clear case helps kept the computer clean and safe from scratches and dings and on top of it the case holds strong against blemishes in comparison to the color versions of this model. The only thing i dislike but isn't a huge flaw and is also expected is that the rubber feet on the bottom yellow a bit but other than that its a great case. lastly the price is a bit steep but if you want a good case with a good warranty than its money well spent. …
- Written by Zachary King K from Brooklyn
93 of 103 people found this useful
Preserves the computer, but has some flaws.
I've owned two of these shells. They certainly protect the computer, but the case (especially the bottom) breaks very easily. It e I've owned two of these shells. They certainly protect the computer, but the case (especially the bottom) breaks very easily. It ended up messing up the back of my laptop, and I just bought a new case 10 days ago and it's already broken. The thing is, I'm not very rough with the case either. I would recommend this product, but keep in mind that it will break very easily. I hope Speck rethinks the case design to make it more durable. …
- Written by Max L from Providence
53 of 58 people found this useful
Well... It does its job.
The case certainly protects the MacBook Air, that's undisputable. There are a few flaws with it though:
- The case tends to hol The case certainly protects the MacBook Air, that's undisputable. There are a few flaws with it though:
- The case tends to hold on to quite a bit of dirt/dust/sediment The case is very flexible where the cut out to open the laptop is, so there is a lot of stuff that tends to collect in that area especially. However, this is to be expected from any case.
- The corners on this case and the snaps that hold the case to the MacBook tend to break off rather easily. This isn't a huge deal and Speck will replace them under warranty.
- Putting the case on and taking it off for cleaning can be a major pain, I keep thinking I am going to gouge my MacBook or break the case itself while doing so.
- The top of the case, for some reason, tends to scratch easily. Within the first week I got my case, I was beginning to notice scratches on it. I am extremely gentle on my laptop, if it's not out on a table and actively being used, it's inside of a padded laptop compartment in my backpack, so it's odd that it would be scratched at all. Although, I suppose it's better that the case be scratched than my MacBook.
Overall, I wouldn't ever get rid of this case as it does a great job of protecting the MacBook, there are just a couple of flaws you must be made aware of before buying it. I do believe the price point could be just a little bit lower considering it's just a piece of plastic, but I'm not one to spare a nickel when it comes to protecting my Mac. …
- Written by Cameron L from Cape Coral
54 of 63 people found this useful
Bottom breaks so quickly
I bought this case to try and protect my macbook. After about two weeks, the bottom broke and its now taped on! I may have brough I bought this case to try and protect my macbook. After about two weeks, the bottom broke and its now taped on! I may have brought my macbook out of my house twice, so I have no idea how the case broke so quickly. I am not happy, and I do not feel like spending another 50$ for a new one. …
- Written by Amanda M from Altamont
1 of 1 people found this useful
Design updates make product more sturdy than older model
I own 2 Clear cases. A few days after I bought the first one, the bottom snapped and broke after I had set it down (using normal, I own 2 Clear cases. A few days after I bought the first one, the bottom snapped and broke after I had set it down (using normal, not careful, handling). This was disappointing and felt like a total waste of my money. Concerned about possible scratches and dents, I eventually decided to purchase another one. I have owned the second case for 2 months, and it has NOT yet snapped on me despite continuing my normal handling of the laptop. I believe this is because Speck has remodelled the design of the case. Im not sure of this newer model number but I highly recommend purchasing this case to anyone who is concerned about the exterior of their mac. You will know its the newer model because the plastic feels thick and unlike the previous model, the bottom easily snaps in place and has a very slight loose fit (I assume its not as snug in order to absorb possible impact??). …
- Written by Vivian L from Toronto
1 of 1 people found this useful
Protects from scratches but is crudely manufactured.
I just received my 2014 Macbook Air about a week ago as a graduation gift and with it I picked out this clear SmartShell. I was st I just received my 2014 Macbook Air about a week ago as a graduation gift and with it I picked out this clear SmartShell. I was struck immediately as I opened the box that it was difficult to pry it out of its container and that it had two large scratches on the actual SmartShell (not the protective coating). I then pried it onto my Mac and noticed that the grooves that snap onto the Mac scraped the finish on the computer. The product is also crudely and cheaply manufactured: the edges are sharp and in some places unneeded pieces of plastic are sticking up and have scratched me on a number of occasions. The case also has many scratches on it with just a week's use on my lap and on a table. I don't cary my laptop around much and try to keep it as scratch less as possible.
A plus, though, is that it blends in with the mMacbook and from a distance it doesn't seem like I have a case on it. It also protects my laptop from scratches which is another big plus obviously. It stays in place very well and it doesn't come off without having to pry it off with force.
Even though the case does what it is supposed to do, I would not recommend it because it doesn't match the high quality of Apple products. …
- Written by Sofia C from Meridian
7 of 8 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Will my 15" Macbook Pro (Retina) still fit inside the Henge vertical dock with this case on?
- Asked by Paul N
- Jan 6, 2015
Hi i just bought a 11.6 macbook.can a case of 11' fit mine? then if not why not selling of 11.6 ? thanks.
- Asked by Mohamed S from Abudhabi
- Sep 16, 2014
Huh? What is the question? The 11" Speck shell is made for the 11" Macbook Air. The 11.6" is the act Huh? What is the question? The 11" Speck shell is made for the 11" Macbook Air. The 11.6" is the actual screen dimensions but Apple doesn't sell the Macbook Air as the 11.6" model. …
- Answered by Steven C from Browns Mills
- Sep 18, 2014
Does this fit the white macbook 13inch 2006 0r 2008 model??
- Asked by James D from Palmerston North
- Jun 29, 2013
is the blue case darker in person? The website shows it as a turquoise color.
- Asked by Joshua A from Miramar
- Jul 6, 2013
Yes it is. It has more of a bluish tone to it in person, but still turquoise/aqua color.
- Answered by Jodi A from Rancho Cucamonga
- Sep 9, 2013