A continuous heart rate monitor you can wrap around your wrist, MIO Alpha collects and sends data wirelessly via Bluetooth to popular fitness apps such as MapMyRun, Runkeeper, and Strava on your iPhone. It's been tested accurate for performance cycling at any speed and has been tested accurate at running speeds of greater than 14.4 miles per hour.
Comfortable wrist band
Using patented technology from the research labs at Philips Electronics, the Alpha is totally unobtrusive and has no fiddly set-up or chest strap to slide down or chafe. Instead, you wear it on your wrist. This clever heart rate monitor has a soft, stretchable silicone wrist band that ensures a snug fit that won’t slow you down.
Optimise your workouts
Heart rate training is an effective tool for endurance athletes, allowing them to measure and control the intensity of their workouts. By making sure you’re always working within the correct heart rate zone, you’ll maximise your efforts and perform at your peak.
Alpha is a true scientific breakthrough as it uses technology proven accurate at rest in medical use in a form that is now robust enough for sport. Light beams and an electro-optical cell 'sense' the volume of blood under your skin. Sophisticated algorithms are applied to the pulse signal so that the heart’s true rhythm can be detected, even while running at performance speeds.
Alpha uses Bluetooth Smart (4.0) technology to connect to compatible devices to measure speed, distance and pace.
- Continuous heart rate display
- No chest strap needed
- User-settable heart rate zones with visual and audible alerts
- Designed for simplicity of use
- Data review (total exercise time; average heart rate; time “in zone”)
- Bluetooth Smart wireless transmitter
- Stretchable silicone wrist band with secure snap latching system for comfortable fit
- Negative dot-matrix LCD
- Tri-color LED heart rate zones
- Rechargeable battery, USB charging dock with magnetic alignment
- Works with top fitness apps including MapMyRun, Runkeeper, Strava and many more
- Connects to iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S
Did you notice?Sophisticated algorithms are applied to the pulse signal so MIO Alpha can detect your heart's true rhythm even while you're running at performance speeds.
Apple Recommends ForStay in the zone and run, cycle, and bike at your peak with heart rate monitoring on your favorite iPhone fitness app.
What's in the Box?
- MIO Alpha watch
- Charging dock
- Height: 102 mm
- Width: 102 mm
- Weight: 3.2 oz./90.72 g
- Length: 112 mm
- Mfr. Part Number: 53PBLK-INT
- UPC or EAN No.: 693472586600
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One year (For details, please visit http://www.mioglobal.com/pages/warranty-and-service)
Strava Running and Cycling - GPS Run and Ride Tracker
“The World’s Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Fitness” -Fast Company
Track your runs and rides with GPS, join Challenges and see how your running and riding compares with friends.
TRACK YOUR RUNS AND RIDES WITH GPS
• Follow routes you’ve created or found and view your activity map as you record
• Get key stats like distance, pace, speed, elevation gained and calories burned
• Collect heart rate, power and cadence data from ANT+ and Bluetooth LE sensors
CLIMB THE LEADERBOARDS
• Set personal records and see how you stack up against friends, locals and pros
• Join monthly Challenges designed to push you further
• Find your friends and motivate them with kudos and and comments
• Share your activities on Facebook and Twitter
• Share Instagram photos from your activities on your Strava profile
FIND PLACES TO RUN AND RIDE
• Explore the most popular segments anywhere you go
• Filtered leaderboards by age and weight to see where you stack up
• Train more effectively with detailed heart rate analysis and see your Suffer Score
• Get your performance results immediately after completing a segment
• See which of your friends are currently out riding or running
• Stay on top of your game throughout the year with indoor training videos
• Visualize your training with Power Zone and Pace Distribution analysis
• Access to exclusive Premium gear, Shop discounts, and extra rewards all year
• These Premium features are available through in-app purchasing
Strava Premium is available for $5.99/month or $59.99/year. You can subscribe and pay through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renew may be turned off by going to your Account Settings after purchase.
Note: Recording activities with iPod Touch and iPad version 1 will produce inaccurate location results. Additional hardware required to collect information from ANT+ sensors.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. …
1-800-MY-APPLE or Chat now
Ratings & Reviews
Amazing Bluetooth HR monitor
I was a little leery of this being strapless however, I've NEVER had a problem with it and it's awesome to be able to track any ac I was a little leery of this being strapless however, I've NEVER had a problem with it and it's awesome to be able to track any activity anytime. I use it with the DIGIFIT app to track my workouts, see my HR zone and how long i'm there. It's a great motivator. Only wish it came with a backlight for evening or early morning workouts. It's charged by your laptop via USB, but one good charge lasts several months. …
- Written by Heather R from Greenwood
43 of 44 people found this useful
A very good heart rate monitor
If what you are looking for is an extremely accurate continous heart rate monitor that you can wear on your arm then this is the p If what you are looking for is an extremely accurate continous heart rate monitor that you can wear on your arm then this is the product you want. You can wear it all day or just for exercising if you wish. I link it with my Predometer GPS and Cyclist app using the Wahoo Fitness setting and it works perfectly. Since I have my iPhone with me most of the time I don't use any of the features on the monitor except for the display. If you don't put the unit in exercise mode you are never bothered by the beeps and flashing lights, you don't need it because all the info is captured on the iPhone. So far the only downside is that if I go out without the iPhone it would be nice if I could save the detail information and download it to the iPhone later for history tracking purposes. The function buttons are not the best but you can figure them out and use them for their intended purposes. The monitor did show a drop in my heart rate that was a mis-read (down to 40), it took about a minute to corrected itself and all was fine. Pros: The display is large enough for me to read without glasses; the charge last more than 12 hours; the band is comfortable; it works flawlessly. On the flip side the three inch charge cable is a joke. I like this product a lot and would certainly buy it again, it does everything I need it to and more. …
- Written by Donald W from Clarksburg
24 of 24 people found this useful
This is the best heart rate monitor I have ever used. First it doesn't seem to lose connection like chest straps do. Second havi This is the best heart rate monitor I have ever used. First it doesn't seem to lose connection like chest straps do. Second having a display is great. I can get instant feedback on my heart rate as well as the battery life. This also work great with any bluetooth compatible app, I have been using Fitness Tracks and it work seamlessly. …
- Written by David M from Destin
15 of 15 people found this useful
It's working perfectly for me
As a 51 year old male, I *really* dislike the chest straps so, for the last three years I've biked and done my cardio workouts wit As a 51 year old male, I *really* dislike the chest straps so, for the last three years I've biked and done my cardio workouts without benefit of a heart rate monitor. Noticed the MIO Alpha in an online ad, purchased it with moderate expectations and the thought that I could just return it if need be. Big surprise - I love it! It's a nice looking, comfortable, lightweight wristwatch, sync's up very quickly with my iPhone (and DigiFit app), finds my heart rate in a few seconds, and keeps track throughout my rides and workouts with *zero* glitches, and the battery seems to last a really long time. Minor cons: slightly bulky for everyday wear though surprisingly lightweight, could benefit from a backlight for the watch function. Last thought... I'm buying another one for my wife. …
- Written by William A from Nashville
This watch has worked really great for me in every way that I have needed it. One of the reviewers gave it a single star because This watch has worked really great for me in every way that I have needed it. One of the reviewers gave it a single star because he said that it didn't go above 162 or something. In my workouts I reach heart rates of 180 and above and I've never had an issue tracking it.
The only issue I've had is that if you don't keep the sensor clean it sometimes has a hard time reading your pulse. That being said, each time I've had this issue if I clean it very well it works.
No complaints about this and I love that it doesn't require any sort of body strap, etc. It has also sync'ed up well with RunKeeper and MapMyRun. …
- Written by Sean S from Nolensville
Not for High Intensity
I am terribly disappointed with this purchase. It seems most reviewers do aerobic training at a constant heart rate, which this wa I am terribly disappointed with this purchase. It seems most reviewers do aerobic training at a constant heart rate, which this watch may be suitable for, but I so sprint training, 100 and 200 meter dashes three times a week, and heavy and short weight-lifting 2-3 times per week. In theory, I easily reach the top of my max BPM (195) while sprinting (as has been tested with other professional equipment, VO2 Max tests and Wingate tests), but the MIO heart rate monitor never shows anything above 162 BPM. Sometimes it starts showing an increase in heart rate after I have finished sprinting. But where it really fails is during my weight-lifting sessions. It constantly shows a DECREASE in heart rate! I may have just done 25 squats at 250 lbs and it will show my heart rate at 70 BPM, when I can easily feel my heart close to 180 about to pop out of my chest. This happens every time. I have tried different positions on the forearm (higher/lower) and different grips (really tight so my hand turns purple, somewhere in the middle, and looser), and nothing works.
If you do steady state cardio or endurance training, this might work for you. But if you are an elite athlete trying to increase your lactate threshold or improve oxygen economy during sprints, this monitor is absolutely useless. Completely and utterly disappointed. …
- Written by Fernando B from New York
15 of 17 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
does it have a time feature like a regular watch?
- Asked by Seth W from Tyler
- Jun 9, 2014
According to the manufacturer's website, the battery time is 8-10 hours so I highly doubt that it wo According to the manufacturer's website, the battery time is 8-10 hours so I highly doubt that it would function as a regular watch. The manufacturer is also vague on whether or not it functions as a time watch. …
- Answered by Chilly C from Phoenix
- Jun 21, 2014
What wrist sizes will the MIO Alpha Heart Rate Monitor Watch fit?
- Asked by Angi M G from Preate
- May 15, 2014
con i use it for swimming
- Asked by Tania P from Molendinar
- Jan 16, 2014
Yes it is water resistant. Not for diving but recommended for swimming!
- Answered by Lindsay V from Calgary
- Jan 29, 2014
Will it sync up with MyFitnessPal
- Asked by Barbara M from Lake Stevens
- Dec 22, 2013
Yes, it does. I use it all of the time.
- Answered by Jamaal C from San Diego
- Dec 27, 2013
Can this device be pair with the apps on an iPad?
- Asked by Alexandra M from West Bloomfield
- Sep 12, 2013
Yes, iPad 2 or newer.
- Answered by Stephen F from Bowen Island
- Oct 5, 2013