The Western Digital My Passport for Mac portable hard drive includes a super-fast USB 3.0 interface for truly impressive transfer rates. It makes the perfect travel companion for your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.
Ultra-fast transfer rates
When connected to a USB 3.0 port, My Passport for Mac lets you access and save files in blazing speed. Get transfer times up to three times faster than with USB 2.0.*
USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility
With this single drive you get compatibility with your USB 2.0 devices today and the ultra-fast speed of USB 3.0 when you're ready to step up to the next generation.
Sleek, compact design
This compact enclosure offers plenty of storage, making it the ideal companion for the graphic professional, student, or road-warrior.
Set password protection and hardware encryption for your drive to protect your files from unauthorized use or access.
WD Drive Utilities
Register your drive, set drive timer, run diagnostics, and more using the WD Drive Utilities.
Formatted for Mac
HFS+ journaled so it works right out of the box with your MacBook or MacBook Air. You can also easily reformat it for Windows.
Compatible with Time Machine
Quickly back up your files with Time Machine.
WD quality inside and out
Western Digital builds the drive inside with demanding requirements for durability, shock tolerance, and long-term reliability. Then the drive is surrounded with a durable enclosure designed for style and protection.
- Transferring files in blazing-fast speed with USB 3.0
- Connect to USB 2.0 devices today and then USB 3.0 devices when you're ready
- Add extra storage for your videos, music, photos, and files
- Back up your files with Time Machine
- Secure your files from unauthorized access with password protection and hardware encryption
Did you notice?Connect to a USB 3.0 port and transfer a full-length HD movie in under five minutes.
Apple Recommends ForTake your photos, movies, videos, and files along wherever you go with your MacBook.
What's in the Box?
- WD My Passport for Mac portable hard drive
- USB cable
- Quick install guide
- Other Features: Data Encryption, Sleep Mode, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 21 mm/0.82 in.
- Width: 110.8 mm/4.36 in.
- Weight: 230 g
- Length: 82.3 mm/3.24 in.
- OS X 10.7 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: WDBLUZ0020BSL-NEAP
- UPC or EAN No.: 718037814124
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three-year limited
- *Performance may vary based on your hardware and system configuration.
Ratings & Reviews
Excellent little drive
Don't let the 1-star reviewer fool you. This drive is excellent. I've had several of them over the past year with no problems. I r Don't let the 1-star reviewer fool you. This drive is excellent. I've had several of them over the past year with no problems. I regularly get around 85-90MBps transfer out of them. The other reviewer should note that EVERY hard drive manufacturer has drives that die, that is the nature of spindle hard drives. Back up your stuff and when a drive dies, just replace it. I've had great luck with WD's customer service too. They now offer to ship you a replacement drive before you ship back a faulty drive so that you can get up and running faster. …
- Written by Justin V from Wellington
88 of 99 people found this useful
Robust and Solid
I can't explain the other reviewers of this drive by my experience has been nothing but awesome.
I use this drive as my main m I can't explain the other reviewers of this drive by my experience has been nothing but awesome.
I use this drive as my main media (iTunes) storage device for my MacBook Pro. The size lends itself to sit perfectly on the left side of my 15" MBP without coming close to the trackpad. It's lightweight and has quickly become one of my most valuable pieces of tech.
I have kids who have knocked and jostled this drive around... even dropped it on the floor. I nearly lost my mind but it is still intact to the writing of this review.
It's been totally solid for me.... for about a year. I recommend this product highly! …
- Written by Jeff P from Edmonton
21 of 25 people found this useful
Reliable, value for money
Great little drive, this is my second and I haven't had a single problem.
- Written by John G from Jamaica
13 of 14 people found this useful
DON'T BUY THIS GARBAGE!!! WRKOED FOR 6 MONTH WITH NO PROBLEM. THEN SUDDENLY JUST STOPED. TRIED TO RECOVER THE IMPORTANT DATA WITH DON'T BUY THIS GARBAGE!!! WRKOED FOR 6 MONTH WITH NO PROBLEM. THEN SUDDENLY JUST STOPED. TRIED TO RECOVER THE IMPORTANT DATA WITH DIFFERENT PROGRAMS - NO RESULT!!! HAVE FOR DIFFERENT WD EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES THAT STILL WORKS PERFECTLY.... HOWERE THIS ONE IS BIG DISASTER!!!! SHAME ON YOU WD!!! …
- Written by Anton T from Kharkov
A year later... Dead
We bought this WD drive to back up our media files. It was a wonderful little thing when it worked right. Then suddenly almost a We bought this WD drive to back up our media files. It was a wonderful little thing when it worked right. Then suddenly almost a year to the day, it stops being recognized by my MacBook Air. Sometimes it shows up in Disk Utility but when I try to repair disk, it tells me "Live file system repair is not supported." I tried resetting the PRAM and SMC as suggested on some Mac forums, but nothing. The support desk at WD got me to update about four different things and still nothing. They were kind enough to send me a new USB cable to see if that would work. Nope. WD has offered to send me a replacement, but I don't care to replace a bad product with another bad product. I just want to get my data back!! Never buying another WD product again! …
- Written by Andrea A from Ottawa
WD Not so good
I have bought 2 of these and both quit before the end of 1 year. Not worth the money...
- Written by Karen W from Baltimore
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can I transfer movies stored on WD Passport to iTunes
- Asked by Bryce M from Owatonna
- May 8, 2014
will it connect to a macbook pro.
- Asked by Joyce M
- Jan 14, 2014
Yes, it will work with USB 2.0 on your Macbook Pro
- Answered by Francis D from Raleigh
- Mar 7, 2014
does this come formatted for the mac?
- Asked by Joanne D from Glen Rock
- Jul 30, 2013
Yes, Simply plug and play. Or store in this case.
- Answered by Gareth K
- Aug 6, 2013
Is this device thunderbolt compatible?
- Asked by Soo F from Laguna Beach
- Feb 4, 2014