Speck's SmartShell case works together with your Apple Smart Cover to provide full coverage of your iPad. Made from form-fitting hard plastic and just 1.2 mm thick, SmartShell delivers sleek, impact-resistant protection. Plus, the back of the case securely attaches to the magnet in your Smart Cover when fully opened.
- Specifically designed for iPad, the SmartShell is an ideal match for your Apple Smart Cover
- Wrap-around convenience—the SmartShell secures the Smart Cover in place when open, allowing it to lie fat from edge to spine
- Ultra-thin (1.2 mm), durable shell offers a solid protective layer
- Lightweight one-piece design is easy to snap on and off
- Cases for iPad are compatible with iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), iPad (4th generation); cases for iPad mini are compatible with iPad mini; cases for iPad mini with Retina display are compatible with iPad mini with Retina display
Did you notice?SmartShell secures your Smart Cover in place when open by using the Smart Cover's magnet to attach to the SmartShell metal connector.
Apple Recommends ForHard-shell protection that keeps your iPad light on its feet.
What's in the Box?
- Speck SmartShell Case for iPad
- Form Factor: Snap On
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Height: 0.437 in./1.11 cm
- Width: 7.5 in./19 cm
- Weight: 6.08 oz./172.37 g
- Length: 9.62 in./24.45 cm
- Mfr. Part Number: SPK-A1202
- UPC or EAN No.: 848709002716
- Warranty: One year (For details, please visit http://www.speckproducts.com/warranty-returns)
1-800-MY-APPLE or Chat now
iPad 2 (2nd generation)
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad (4th generation)
Ratings & Reviews
Will crack and chip
Be warned. While this is perhaps the lightest and thinnest of hard shell-backings it is a stiff piece of plastic. I never mishan Be warned. While this is perhaps the lightest and thinnest of hard shell-backings it is a stiff piece of plastic. I never mishandled my iPad yet this case has cracked all around the metal insert (the purpose for which remains a mystery). It has chipped around the dock connector and front center section where you lift the smart cover. All within the first three months.
Save your money. For this price you can buy two full cases from other manufactures. …
- Written by Ronald D from Bowie
2 of 4 people found this useful
Excellent case for iPad
Purchased the Speck SmartShell for use with the latest Retina iPad and it is a great case for a slim but basic level of protection Purchased the Speck SmartShell for use with the latest Retina iPad and it is a great case for a slim but basic level of protection for your iPad. The texture of the case is great for increased grip and the ability to fold back the Smart Cover (sold separately) so it magnetically clips to the back of the case is a welcome feature. Protects well against minor bumps against the body of the iPad without adding too much bulk, but do not expect it to protect against full drops - you will need a 'beefier' case for that. Very happy with the purchase - highly recommended! …
- Written by Dick K T from London
10 of 10 people found this useful
Excellent hard shell back case with a rear magnet to hold the Apple Smart Cover when folded back. I particularly love that the iP Excellent hard shell back case with a rear magnet to hold the Apple Smart Cover when folded back. I particularly love that the iPad 4 is completely seated in a polycarbonate bed that rims the entire iPad. The cut outs are spot on and this back case is a very tight fit although I have been able to remove it when needed. The clear see through one is very smooth where the smoky black has a tacky feeling to it. The clear one can and does show scratches easily but is not a deal breaker for me. I have one of each; clear and black and use them both with a red leather Apple Smart Cover which I'm also a big fan of.
If you don't have a need for absolute protection and like a minimalistic feel then this combo of back case and Smart Cover may be right for you. …
- Written by Terresa S from Gloucester
33 of 33 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Is the entire case the same color.? Images show the front as blue with only the back as black or white!
- Asked by Kevin S from River View
- Jan 17, 2014
The case is black or clear and covers the back of the iPad. The blue cover you see in the photos is The case is black or clear and covers the back of the iPad. The blue cover you see in the photos is a Smart Cover sold separately. …
- Answered by Alice E L from Media
- Jan 31, 2014
Will this fit with the new ipad mini with ratina?
- Asked by Worapong W from Oak Park
- Nov 18, 2013
It doesn't have a cut out for the extra mic (at the back). Also on Speck's website, it shows a smart It doesn't have a cut out for the extra mic (at the back). Also on Speck's website, it shows a smartshell case for the retina version, but it says "coming soon", so I would think if they are releasing a case specifically for the retina version, I would imagine the original one isn't compatible. I have asked Speck if they know the release date for the new case but they don't know yet. …
- Answered by Julie B
- Dec 1, 2013
Does the Speck SmartShell Case work for iPad AIR?
- Asked by Charles D from Madison
- Dec 11, 2013
Can the speck smart shell case stands upright with d smart case cover when folded
- Asked by Bakre O from Abeokuta
- Sep 29, 2013
Can this be used while using a smart COVER?
- Asked by Heather E from Massapequa
- Sep 19, 2013
yes it can, on the left side there is a blank spot just for the smart case.
- Answered by Eric M from Valrico
- Sep 22, 2013