Belkin's Thunderbolt Express Dock lets eight different devices take advantage of a Thunderbolt connection to your MacBook for reliable, high-speed transfers. The dock offers FireWire, Ethernet, and USB 3.0 ports, as well as a port for daisy chaining multiple Thunderbolt devices. Thunderbolt moves data on two bidirectional 10 Gbit/s channels—that's up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0 and 12 times faster than FireWire 800. In other words, an entire HD movie transfers in 30 seconds or a whole year of continuous music in 10 minutes. Note that the Thunderbolt is not included.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- One cable output provides instant access to eight ports
- Ability to daisy-chain up to five additional Thunderbolt devices
- Includes Cable-management channel
- One Gigabit Ethernet port
- One FireWire 800 port
- One Thunderbolt port
- One 3.5 mm headphone output Jack
- One 3.5 mm audio Input Jack
- Three USB 3.0 ports*
Did you notice?Thunderbolt lets you transfer great quantities of music, movies, or files in minutes.
Apple Recommends ForGive multiple devices high-speed access to your MacBook through a single cable.
What's in the Box?
- Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock
- Power adapter
- Connections: Ethernet, Firewire 800, Thunderbolt, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Thunderbolt Port
- Thunderbolt Cable (sold separately)
- Mfr. Part Number: F4U055ywAPL
- UPC or EAN No.: 722868908891
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One-year limited lifetime warranty.
*Maximum data transfer of up to 2.5 Gbit/s.
A Thunderbolt cable is not included; it must be purchased separately.
Ratings & Reviews
I waited for this hub to be released for so long, I am returning it. I am very disappointed for these reasons:
USB doesn't give p I waited for this hub to be released for so long, I am returning it. I am very disappointed for these reasons:
USB doesn't give power to devices, so Apple's USB Super Drive won't work with it. It won't charge iPods, iPads or iPhones...
My external Thunderbolt HD that I use for Time Machine has to be ejected before I put my Mac to stand by, or I get a warning when bringing my mac back from stand by saying that HD was not ejected properly and data may have being lost (This warning doesn't happen when HD is plugged direct to my Mac).
Also, every time I turn on and off or put my Mac to stand by and back, the speakers make a very loud noise, very annoying...
Sorry Belkin, I can't recommend it, you need to bring this dock back to your engineers.
- Written by LEONARDO N from MIAMI BEACH
602 of 660 people found this useful
Unfinshed non functional product - Avoid
I bought the Thunderbolt express dock whilst on a business trip in the USA so wouldn't be able to test every aspect of it until I I bought the Thunderbolt express dock whilst on a business trip in the USA so wouldn't be able to test every aspect of it until I got home to the UK. I thought I'd at least I'd try plugging in an item that many Macbook Pro users would own into the dock, a USB superdrive. This dock can't even power the superdrive despite having a large dead rat laptop style power supply. Why would Belkin release a product which is unable to support a peripheral that is commonly used and sold with Macbook Pro computers?
I am also disappointed that Apple would not test the products they choose to stock for simple use cases such as this and refuse to stock them until they met at least a baseline level of functionality.
I'm going to return the item before I leave the US and wait for another product to be released by another manufacturer, as I've been bitten by gambling on after market product fixes which never arrive and expect better from Apple and Belkin than this rubbish. …
- Written by Johnathan L from LONDON
444 of 505 people found this useful
Won't mount Vantec NexStar dual bay hard drive
I ordered the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Doc as soon as I saw it available in Canada and already have it. This is an awesome idea. I ordered the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Doc as soon as I saw it available in Canada and already have it. This is an awesome idea. Apple came out with a Thunderbolt Firmware update 1.2 today very soon after. This firmware update is causing various issues (see Apple Support for details - search for Thunderbolt Firmware update 1.2). The dock is very cool and seems to work with my FIrewire 800 Lacie Drive, my WD USB 2 drive, but not my VanTec NexStar Dual Bay USB 3 device. It doesn't even appear on the desktop when I plug it into the Thunderbolt Express Dock. I am not sure if this is a Thunderbolt issue or a NexStar issue. …
- Written by David D from Edmonton
146 of 181 people found this useful
- plenty of ports: 2x thunderbolt (1 for computer/ 1 for peripheral), 3x USB 3.0, 1x firewire 800, 1x ethernet, 1x headphone PROs
- plenty of ports: 2x thunderbolt (1 for computer/ 1 for peripheral), 3x USB 3.0, 1x firewire 800, 1x ethernet, 1x headphone jack, 1x microphone
- very fast in real world testing (even with multiple SSDs plugged into one of the 3.0 ports via separate USB 3.0 hub).
- non-slip feet (very useful when multiple peripheral cables add enough weight to pull otherwise)
- blue light to indicate it's functioning
- only 1 thunderbolt usable by peripherals (not all peripherals with thunderbolt ports contain more than 1 for daisy chaining).
- USB ports could use a bit more spacing
- no audio out with speakers/headsets plugged into headphone jack
- wrapping thunderbolt cable beneath dock (for stability) removes useful length from expensive thunderbolt cable
- large power brick noticeably intrusive in tight areas
- this thing has great performance
- really should have more than 1 usable thunderbolt jack (though 1 will be fine for basic users)
- doesn't require thunderbolt-native monitors for compatibility contrary to review titled 'Does not support monitors without native thunderbolt interface cable" posted 6/3/14 (apparently, customer service misinformed this customer). I use it with a thunderbolt/HDMI adapter to an HDMI monitor.
- it can be found for as low as $150 if you shop around …
- Written by Antonio D from DALLAS
May work, but not for me
I guess I didn't do my homework. I wanted to both plug a Thunderbolt drive and a monitor into my MAC book Air. While there are t I guess I didn't do my homework. I wanted to both plug a Thunderbolt drive and a monitor into my MAC book Air. While there are two thunderbolt ports, one needs to go to the computer - so I am still left with a single thunderbolt output. UGH. Wasted my money. One more thunderbolt port, and it would have worked fine. …
- Written by Russell J from Apex
0 of 4 people found this useful
An Excellent Product
* I have my ethernet cable, external monitor dual link cable, plus several external drives connected (by firewire 800 a The Good:
* I have my ethernet cable, external monitor dual link cable, plus several external drives connected (by firewire 800 and USB3) and my external speakers ...all connected via the Express Dock
* well, it's only a slight nit-pick...the Express dock runs hot...I'm guessing in excess of 120 deg F
* Price. At $199, it is pricy...but if you do a web search for the product, it can be had for about $40 less...
* My desk BEFORE I started using this device with cables running everywhere BUT now...all is nice and tidy!
If you have a newer MBP with an external monitor and several external drives, this is the way to go. …
- Written by Leon P from SAN DIEGO
2 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can dock connect Macbook Air to Ethernet and Cinema Display at the same time? Any performance issues with that configuration?
- Asked by William K from Baltimore
- Feb 4, 2014
Yes I have Ethernet RJ-45 connected to the Express dock and I have connected my 30" Apple Display to Yes I have Ethernet RJ-45 connected to the Express dock and I have connected my 30" Apple Display to the dock as well using the appropriate adapters for the monitor to work. Therefore, one thunderbolt cable from my MB air to the dock. The other dock TB port is being used by the monitor. And I am using in clamshell mode as well. …
- Answered by Scott S from Merced
- Apr 26, 2014
I need a USB 3.0 Hub that can load at least three USB3 External HDD. I don't mind if it doesn't charge iOS devices. Any suggestions?
- Asked by Zedrik A from Subic Bay Freeport Zone
- Mar 22, 2014
does the dock accept signal from a firewire 800 source
- Asked by Doug F from Culver City
- May 4, 2014
which firewire cable will plug into the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock
- Asked by Gerard G from Norwich
- Jan 25, 2014
There is a firewire 800 port in the Belkin Thunderbolt Express dock. If you have a Firewire 400 you There is a firewire 800 port in the Belkin Thunderbolt Express dock. If you have a Firewire 400 you can get firewire 400 to 800 adapters. …
- Answered by David D from Edmonton
- Jan 26, 2014