More speed, more efficient workflow
More speed means a leaner workflow. Get 785MB/s* with five 7200rpm/64MB cache hard disks preconfigured in RAID 0. With these speeds, you have all you need for any post-production work. Handle multiple 2K uncompressed 10-bit streams. And with capacities up to 20TB, you have enough storage for today and the future. For example, you could store all your project's raw daily footage onto a single LaCie 5big. Focus on your creative projects without the hassle of managing multiple storage devices.
RAID flexibility for speed and security
Because it has five disks, the LaCie 5big lets you custom-make RAID configurations for your precise needs. Create a lightning-fast volume with three disks in RAID 0, and a safe volume with two disks in RAID 1. The hot-swappable disks** also allow you to simply slide a new disk into the safe volume without switching off the device. Use the fast volume for use with Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere, or Aperture, and the safe volume to back up your projects. No downtime, and no data loss. You can also use the LaCie 5big as a JBOD array. With five working days a week, you can assign each disk to a daily backup. Support for JBOD makes the LaCie 5big the ideal backup companion to your company's Mac Mini Server.
LaCie also offers the RAID Monitor software for this product. It alerts you when a disk needs maintenance, identifies which disk has failed, and helps you to resolve the issue.
Dual cooling system for long-term reliability
The LaCie 5big's advanced dual cooling system ensures long-term reliability by preventing overheating. The system consists of three key components: an innovative heat-dissipating aluminum casing, a Noctua® cooling fan, and jumbo heat exhausts. For the enclosure, its solid-aluminum heat sink design diverts and dissipates heat more efficiently than plastic casings. Its ultra-quiet Noctua NF-P12 fan pulls heat away from the internal components while producing exceptionally little noise. It also controls its speed according to temperature, which means that it works more efficiently while prolonging its lifespan. There are also oversized air holes to facilitate airflow from the fan and reduce noise. Every aspect of this ultra-quiet cooling system makes the LaCie 5big perfect for even the most noise-sensitive creative environments.
Designed for convenience
The LaCie 5big was painstakingly designed to integrate seamlessly into professional environments. With its small footprint and space-saving design, you can stand it alone or stack multiple LaCie 5bigs. Whatever the professional environment, the LaCie 5big delivers convenience and piece of mind.
Support when you need it
Your LaCie 5big is protected by a three-year limited warranty. It includes comprehensive, complimentary web-based resources, expert in-house technical support, and worldwide repair/replacement coverage. You can also purchase warranty extensions and an Advance Care Option.
- Blazing speeds up to 785 MB/s*
- Dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chain
- RAID 0, 1, and JBOD support with hot swap
- Time Machine compatible
- Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac included
- Thunderbolt cable included
Did you notice?The Thunderbolt cable comes with the drive, so there's no need to make a separate purchase.
Apple Recommends ForSuperb speed and storage capacity for video editing on or daily critical backups of your Macs.
What's in the Box?
- LaCie 5big Thunderbolt Series hard drive
- Thunderbolt cable
- External power supply
- Quick install guide and complete software suite: LaCie Setup Assistant, LaCie Private-Public, Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac, Genie Backup Manager Pro for PC, Wuala Secure Cloud Storage
- Other Features: Kensington Port, RAID Support, Time Machine Compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 8.6 in./22 cm
- Width: 6.8 in./17.3 cm
- Weight: 16.8 lb./7.6 kg
- Length: 7.7 in./19.6 cm
- Mac OS X v10.5 (Intel only) or later
- Mfr. Part Number: 9000398U
- UPC or EAN No.: 093053008352
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three-year limited (For details, please visit http://www.lacie.com/us/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10600)
- *Tests conducted in RAID 0 with five 4TB 7200rpm drives. Speeds depend on the drives and RAID mode used, and average transfer rates may vary from one computer to another and from one product to another. **Hot swapping will result in data loss in a RAID 0 array.
Ratings & Reviews
Fast and works effortlessly
I'm using this as a backup server at our sound studio. 20TB is a very good amount of space, we've got it running in RAID 0 mode. I I'm using this as a backup server at our sound studio. 20TB is a very good amount of space, we've got it running in RAID 0 mode. It's definitely fast. There's not much noise. The backups are faultless. The enclosure is well designed and seems to be pretty rugged. All the cables are included with the drive. Overall, I'm pleased with this unit so far. …
- Written by Kye D
62 of 65 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Does the unit come with the 5 plugin hard drives or do you have to purchase them separately?
- Asked by Norman A from Moss Vale
- Mar 6, 2014
This unit comes with 5 each of the 2TB 7200 RPM drives, resulting in 10TB formatted as Of course!
This unit comes with 5 each of the 2TB 7200 RPM drives, resulting in 10TB formatted as a 10TB volume.
The 20TB version comes with 5 each of the 4TB 7200 RPM drives, resulting in 20TB of capacity.
Disk Utility can be used to reformat into RAID-1 volumes or JBOD.
As far as I know, LaCie does not sell this unit without drives. They also sell replacement drives. …
- Answered by Mike M from Beaverton
- Mar 10, 2014
Can this be run in Raid 5?
- Asked by Hans D from Northridge
- Dec 1, 2013
I agree, definitely too much data to loose by one bad disk. Unfortunately, it doesn't run in RAID 5 I agree, definitely too much data to loose by one bad disk. Unfortunately, it doesn't run in RAID 5. I was looking at this for myself, but will have to probably go with the Pegasus option (less storage and a slightly higher price tag), but as they say, you get what you pay for. …
- Answered by Bill K from Melbourne
- Feb 20, 2014
What is the LENGTH of the Thunderbolt cable that is included with the device?
- Asked by Daniel K from Brunswick
- Jan 3, 2014
can you plug two computers into this device?
- Asked by Stuart R
- Nov 20, 2013
No. Only one computer at a time may control Thunderbolt devices.
If you wish to share a Thunderb No. Only one computer at a time may control Thunderbolt devices.
If you wish to share a Thunderbolt storage device with multiple computers, you can:
- connect to one Mac via Thunderbolt, then use file sharing to share the direct connected storage device over the network via WiFi or Ethernet connection to other computers. …
- Answered by Mike M from Beaverton
- Nov 21, 2013
Can I upgrade 1 drive from 2 to 4TB, and leave the rest at 2TB?
- Asked by Bentley G from Little Egg Harbor Township
- Sep 8, 2013
If you are using in JBOD mode, yes, a simple substitution.
However, not so easy if the configurat If you are using in JBOD mode, yes, a simple substitution.
However, not so easy if the configuration is RAID-0 or RAID-1. In either of these instances, you will have to reformat the entire array if the replaced drive is part of the array. Reformatting, of course will erase anything already on the drives, and you will now have a new, empty, but reformatted array.
So, for maximum effectiveness, consider the following:
if all existing drives are part of one RAID-0 array, then all drives should be replaced at same time and then reformatted.
If configured as RAID-0, there are many possibilities:
- 2 drives mirrored, plus 2 drives mirrored, plus 1 independent --> the last drive can be replaced independently
- 2 drives striped, plus two drives striped, then mirrored to each other, plus 1 independent --> the last drive can be replaced independently
In the above two examples, the striped or mirrored drives would need to be replaced in pairs.
It's also possible to have 3 drives striped into RAID-0 with the other 2 drives mirrored into a RAID-1 array, or kept as two independent drives.
IN other words, many possibilities. …
- Answered by Mike M from Beaverton
- Sep 9, 2013
what is power requirement? 110 , 220 or both?
- Asked by Johnny H from Euless
- Jun 1, 2013
According to the Lacie site (specifications page) the answer is yes.
Power Supply: 100-240Vca; 47 According to the Lacie site (specifications page) the answer is yes.
Power Supply: 100-240Vca; 47/63Hz …
- Answered by Michael H from San Diego
- Jul 18, 2013