The Seagate Backup Plus for Mac portable hard drive simplifies backups when you want to protect your entire digital life locally or on social networks. The drive is formatted for Mac out of the box, making it compatible with Time Machine software to provide the simplest and most efficient way to back up locally.
Protect your content on social networks
With the Save feature, you can back up your own content from favorite social networks. Capture a photo on your iPhone, post it on a social networking site, and then let the Seagate Dashboard automatically back it up. Even if the file gets accidentally deleted from your iPhone, you'll have another copy waiting
Easily share with social networks
The Share feature lets you upload multiple files simultaneously to social networks from your computer. Simply select files to upload, choose where to post them, and even add comments. Managing your social profile has never been easier.
Compatible with Mac and PC
Install the downloadable HFS+ driver for PC, and use the drive interchangeably between your Mac computers and Windows PCs—without reformatting. Also take advantage of the Seagate Backup Plus design and upgrade from the included USB 3.0 interface to Thunderbolt technology or FireWire 800 with the additional adapter.
- Formatted for Mac out of the box
- Save feature backs up your content from favorite social media networks
- Share feature allows you to upload multiple files to social networks at once
- Downloadable HFS+ driver for PC lets you use the drive interchangeably between Macs and PCs without reformatting
- Compatible with Time Machine
- Impressive storage capacity
- Ultra-fast USB 3.0 transfer rate
Did you notice?Share and Save features make it a snap to post and back up your content on favorite social media networks.
Apple Recommends ForEasily back up files from your Mac wherever you go.
What's in the Box?
- Seagate Backup Plus for Mac portable desktop hard drive
- Seagate Dashboard pre-loaded on the drive
- Quick start guide
- USB 3.0 adapter with 18 in./45.7 cm cable
- Other Features: Time Machine Compatible
- Connections: USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 0.6 in./1.52 cm
- Width: 4.9 in./12.45 cm
- Weight: 7 oz./198.45 g
- Length: 3.2 in./8.13 cm
- OS X 10.6 or later
- Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (SP3)
- Mfr. Part Number: STBW1000102
- UPC or EAN No.: 763649046029
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Two-year limited
Ratings & Reviews
Seagate 1TB Portable External Drive
The minute I plugged this in to my brand new 27" iMac trouble started. First it froze my computer. Then I spent over an hour with The minute I plugged this in to my brand new 27" iMac trouble started. First it froze my computer. Then I spent over an hour with the SENIOR Mac genius trying to reformat it and partition it and every other thing you could do to it all to no avail. Maybe I just got a lemon, so I'll try one more. But after this experience...I'm not too hopeful. They say it's "MAC formatted" right out of the box, that was certainly not my experience. …
- Written by Linda W from El Sobrante
96 of 112 people found this useful
Not a single problem - works perfectly - no issues. It's a hard drive - does what it is supposed to - stores things.
- Written by JONATHON L from Westlake Village
43 of 46 people found this useful
Great Drive - Ditch the Software
I love the drive... it is extremely fast and USB 3.0 powered. Very portable and the only thing I had to do was delete the SG soft I love the drive... it is extremely fast and USB 3.0 powered. Very portable and the only thing I had to do was delete the SG software to free up that space. I use it to store my music and movies on my Mac Mini Server, and I can just pull it and take it with me to watch movies on my MBP. Brilliant! …
- Written by Craig J from Mount Juliet
35 of 37 people found this useful
Product was good to use while it was working crashed after 5 months and lost all my data. The company was not able to bring back m Product was good to use while it was working crashed after 5 months and lost all my data. The company was not able to bring back my data. 10 YEARS of photos gone. Gone. Wish i could put zero stars …
- Written by deanna H from columbus
6 of 6 people found this useful
Product eventually fails; mechanically. Simply don't by 2.5 drives for backup. Disappointed in my expectation.
- Written by BRENTON W from San Rafael
11 of 11 people found this useful
DIED after 5 months
I bought this drive to free up space on my hard drive. I had all my pictures and videos on it. Loved how seamless it was to use I bought this drive to free up space on my hard drive. I had all my pictures and videos on it. Loved how seamless it was to use and portable. Five months later the drive DIED. Talked to Seagate and they said "sorry we can replace it. If you want to try to get your data you can send it to us for a cost of ~$1,000 to recover data but it may not work." An Apple employee was kind enough to look at the drive but had no luck.
I will never buy another Seagate drive again. If their products die within one year, they should attempt to retrieve data for free, not make additional profit from their poor product performance. …
- Written by Alicia L from Long Valley
18 of 18 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
will it only store social media? I need to store my photos from iPhoto library and delete library to make space on my hard disc. Very frustrated!
- Asked by Yana J from Santa Cruz
- Feb 17, 2014
Will this drive work with a MACBOOK PRO that only supports USB 2.0? Can I use the cables that ship with this device if they are USB 3.0 cables?
- Asked by Margaret M from Winter Park
- Mar 19, 2013
No, Seagate knows that this drive has a problem with USB2 Mac's (older Mac's to them). After finding No, Seagate knows that this drive has a problem with USB2 Mac's (older Mac's to them). After finding the right person in Seagate tech support (and after a replacement drive that has the same problem) they quickly arranged to send me a USB2/Firewire 800 base which fixes the problem. The USB3 base does not function satisfactorily on a Mac USB2 port. …
- Answered by Mark F from Kamloops
- Apr 5, 2013
I have an IMAC- what back-up modem should I buy:my imac is OS X 10.6.8.
- Asked by Mary Jo H from Longboat Key
- Nov 24, 2013
Does it have wireless wi fi
- Asked by Angela K from Silver Creek
- Mar 1, 2013
- Answered by Milton M from Syracuse
- Mar 2, 2013
Can I use the ordinary USB keys to transfer data
- Asked by Ana Maria G from Dallas
- Feb 12, 2013
yes but it depends on the size of the usb key and the size of the file your transfering usb keys are yes but it depends on the size of the usb key and the size of the file your transfering usb keys are better as they are cross compatible but harddrives for mac need extra software to be cross compatible …
- Answered by Lewis W
- Mar 27, 2013