The G-Technology G-DRIVE hard drive is a superb choice for projects like digital photography, audio/video editing, and high-speed data backup that involve huge amounts of data. That's because its USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces can handle enormous traffic volumes. Plus it's plug and play on Mac OSX and ready to use with Time Machine. And G-DRIVE remains cool and quiet thanks to an all-aluminum enclosure with an integrated heat-sink system.
- USB 3.0 and FireWire ports for flexible, high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- Solid all-aluminum case makes for durability and stylish looks
- Plenty of storage for digital video, music, and photo files
- Includes all cables
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS
- Mac OS X and Windows compatible
- Three-year factory warranty
Did you notice?The sleek aluminum enclosure delivers the best in reliability and durability.
Apple Recommends ForA perfect companion for your Mac and all your demanding applications.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE external hard drive
- Universal AC power supply
- FireWire 800 cables; FireWire 800 to 400 cable
- USB 3.0 cable (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Other Features: Kensington Port, Time Machine Compatible
- Connections: Firewire 400, Firewire 800, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 1.85 in./4.7 cm
- Width: 5.125 in./13 cm
- Weight: 2.87 lb./1.3 kg
- Length: 9.25 in./23.5 cm
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Mac OS v10.5 or later
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G02529
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487191066
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three years
Ratings & Reviews
Do NOT buy this drive!
I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAI I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAILED for no apparent reason. I of course contacted G-Technologies and found out that G-Technologies WOULD NOT honor their own warranty. Not only did I lose all my data -- I also have a $200 paperweight to remind me of what a rip-off product this G-drive is. Tip: If you care about safeguarding your data -- DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!! …
- Written by Peder R from Simi Valley
69 of 109 people found this useful
Love This Drive
I've had this drive for over a year, and use it daily. I've never had a problem with it, or my 2 G-Drive Mini's
- Written by Adam C from Winnipeg
21 of 23 people found this useful
Good Built but too noisy and glowing led
Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it is too noisy and the front led is more of a flashlight than an indicator, quite disturbing, as it is placed beside my iMac ! …
- Written by Guy T from Kritzendorf
21 of 24 people found this useful
Noisy and unpredictable wake cycle
Thats it mainly (the title) in these day and age a drive should be silent and offer some power management .
I made the error of Thats it mainly (the title) in these day and age a drive should be silent and offer some power management .
I made the error of buying this drive, looks good but thats it… …
- Written by jean-pierre B from Montreal
1 of 1 people found this useful
Excellent speeds, Noise level unacceptable
I purchased this drive along with a 27" iMac to use for a recording studio. The noise level is anything but "Quiet" as the descri I purchased this drive along with a 27" iMac to use for a recording studio. The noise level is anything but "Quiet" as the description says.
It is really too noisy to be used in an audio facility. Sad because the performance is top grade, so is the look next to the iMac.
I will be returning it as it is unfortunately useless to me. Apple should realy change the product description or at least provide noise level information. …
- Written by Michel V from Gatineau
3 of 3 people found this useful
Loud but Fast
Just picked up this drive at my local Apple store. The front LED is very, very bright (I have it facing away from me however, so n Just picked up this drive at my local Apple store. The front LED is very, very bright (I have it facing away from me however, so not such a big deal) and the drive is pretty loud, but it is very peppy, and made for a solid replacement for my WD MyBook drive which had worn out after very few years of service. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to move my MyBook drive to my G-Drive, and it worked like a charm. Looking forward to putting this drive through it's paces. I'm using it as an external startup drive, and it will migrate over to my new computer when I replace my iMac in February. …
- Written by Sean G from Baltimore
5 of 5 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
is this drive compatible with mavericks operating system
- Asked by Greg W from Bainbridge Island
- Mar 4, 2014
Is this a wireless hard drive
- Asked by Adam J from Adelaide
- Oct 28, 2013
No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. And of course if it's part of a local network. …
- Answered by Fernando E from Caracas
- Dec 4, 2013
Can I use the G-Technology 3TB G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive with my iMac AND my MacBookPro?
- Asked by David R from Rugeley
- Nov 22, 2013
If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect an If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect and use the drive from another iMac. You can't typically access the same files simultaneously e.g. iPhoto. …
- Answered by Gerald B from Lower Sackville
- Nov 1, 2013
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Ge Hi Dudley,
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Gen 4 had a USB 2.0 connection.
Unfortunately the G-Technology G-DRIVE does not have 'hardware encryption', but they are great drives.
I hope this helps. …
- Answered by Adrian C from Santa Ana
- Aug 30, 2013
Will the hard drive work with my mac book pro if i plug it into my airport extreme?
- Asked by Louis N
- Jul 11, 2013