The G-Technology G-DRIVE hard drive is a superb choice for projects like digital photography, audio/video editing, and high-speed data backup that involve huge amounts of data. That's because its USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces can handle enormous traffic volumes. Plus it's plug and play on Mac OSX and ready to use with Time Machine. And G-DRIVE remains cool and quiet thanks to an all-aluminum enclosure with an integrated heat-sink system.
- USB 3.0 and FireWire ports for flexible, high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- Solid all-aluminum case makes for durability and stylish looks
- Plenty of storage for digital video, music, and photo files
- Includes all cables
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS
- Mac OS X and Windows compatible
- Three-year factory warranty
Did you notice?The sleek aluminum enclosure delivers the best in reliability and durability.
Apple Recommends ForA perfect companion for your Mac and all your demanding applications.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE external hard drive
- Universal AC power supply
- FireWire 800 cables; FireWire 800 to 400 cable
- USB 3.0 cable (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Other Features: Kensington Port, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Firewire 400, Firewire 800, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 1.85 in./4.7 cm
- Width: 5.125 in./13 cm
- Weight: 2.87 lb./1.3 kg
- Length: 9.25 in./23.5 cm
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Mac OS v10.5 or later
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G02529
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487191066
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three years
Ratings & Reviews
Do NOT buy this drive!
I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAI I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAILED for no apparent reason. I of course contacted G-Technologies and found out that G-Technologies WOULD NOT honor their own warranty. Not only did I lose all my data -- I also have a $200 paperweight to remind me of what a rip-off product this G-drive is. Tip: If you care about safeguarding your data -- DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!! …
- Written by Peder R from Simi Valley
95 of 144 people found this useful
Good Built but too noisy and glowing led
Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it is too noisy and the front led is more of a flashlight than an indicator, quite disturbing, as it is placed beside my iMac ! …
- Written by Guy T from Kritzendorf
37 of 40 people found this useful
Love This Drive
I've had this drive for over a year, and use it daily. I've never had a problem with it, or my 2 G-Drive Mini's
- Written by Adam C from Winnipeg
26 of 29 people found this useful
died after 2 years
I bought the 2 TB hard drive 2 years ago. I didn't take it out out the box until a year later because I was organizing files and f I bought the 2 TB hard drive 2 years ago. I didn't take it out out the box until a year later because I was organizing files and folders and finally ready to swap out the 1 TB G-Drive with the 2 TB G-Drive. I started using Time Machine with the new 2 TB hard drive. A year later it started making a clicking sound and then died, unable to get it to connect in Finder window. Thats it. It was over. My warranty had expired and a data recovery service estimated $500-1500 to rescue data. All my photos, movies gone. Just like that. The 2 TB was really only working for 1 year before it quit. Using G-Drives is a total crapshoot. Just know that unless you have 2 backup systems or a back up to the backup, it will fail any given day. Whats the point. G-Technology failed me completely. …
- Written by Scott P L from Oakland
1 of 2 people found this useful
Noisy and unpredictable wake cycle
Thats it mainly (the title) in these day and age a drive should be silent and offer some power management .
I made the error of Thats it mainly (the title) in these day and age a drive should be silent and offer some power management .
I made the error of buying this drive, looks good but thats it… …
- Written by jean-pierre B from Montreal
4 of 4 people found this useful
Excellent speeds, Noise level unacceptable
I purchased this drive along with a 27" iMac to use for a recording studio. The noise level is anything but "Quiet" as the descri I purchased this drive along with a 27" iMac to use for a recording studio. The noise level is anything but "Quiet" as the description says.
It is really too noisy to be used in an audio facility. Sad because the performance is top grade, so is the look next to the iMac.
I will be returning it as it is unfortunately useless to me. Apple should realy change the product description or at least provide noise level information. …
- Written by Michel V from Gatineau
5 of 5 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can I connect this drive to my network and leave it always switched on? Or will it heat up and eventually break sooner?
- Asked by Iacopo B from Rozzano
- Feb 19, 2014
it has to be connected to power outlet all time
- Asked by Amr E from Cairo
- Jul 28, 2013
If you are asking if it needs to be connected to a mains power outlet in order to use it, the answer If you are asking if it needs to be connected to a mains power outlet in order to use it, the answer is Yes it does. …
- Answered by D J C
- Apr 7, 2014
is this drive compatible with mavericks operating system
- Asked by Greg W from Bainbridge Island
- Mar 4, 2014
It works fine with my system!
- Answered by Neil W
- Mar 16, 2014
I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library
- Asked by Christopher B
- Nov 28, 2012
I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. I I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. It works fine but occasionally there is a slight delay when using iTunes as the external drive spins up. …
- Answered by Gavin M
- May 8, 2013
Is this a wireless hard drive
- Asked by Adam J from Adelaide
- Oct 28, 2013
No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. And of course if it's part of a local network. …
- Answered by Fernando E from Caracas
- Dec 4, 2013
If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect an If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect and use the drive from another iMac. You can't typically access the same files simultaneously e.g. iPhoto. …
- Answered by Gerald B from Lower Sackville
- Nov 1, 2013