Buffalo 500GB MiniStation Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive with Thunderbolt Cable
The fastest connection interfaces available.
- Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 for unparalleled speed
- All cables included (Thunderbolt and USB 3.0)
- Sleek aluminum design with hard drive LED
- Compatible with Time Machine
- Three-year warranty
Apple Recommends For
Great for creative professionals and multimedia enthusiasts who want rapid backup of all the files on their Mac.
Buffalo's MiniStation Thunderbolt is a high-performance portable Thunderbolt drive featuring the revolutionary Thunderbolt technology. Delivering the fastest interface speeds available—up to 10 Gbps*—Thunderbolt is perfect for creative professionals and multimedia enthusiasts.
The MiniStation Thunderbolt portable hard drive features the revolutionary Thunderbolt storage technology, which is two times faster than USB 3.0, raising the bar on how you transfer, store, and transport data. You can also daisy-chain up to six Thunderbolt devices to maximize use of a single port.**
Coupled with the lightning-fast Thunderbolt storage technology is a USB 3.0 port for universal connectivity. Simply plug it into any available USB port on your computer and instantly add capacity or store ﬁles to take on the road. Plug-and-play usability means there are no drivers to install. The MiniStation Thunderbolt portable hard drive is pre-formatted for Mac computers, but you can easily reformat it for use with PCs.***
Time Machine backup
The drive is compatible with Time Machine, so you can schedule backups and automatically protect your important ﬁles with ease.
All cables included
To give you a complete portable Thunderbolt drive solution, the drive comes with all necessary cables and components. Simply plug it in to any available Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 port on your Mac or PC*** and instantly add capacity or securely store ﬁles to take on the road.Compact and convenient
Housed in a sleek aluminum body, the MiniStation Thunderbolt portable hard drive is a stylish storage companion for your Mac while on the go and at home. It offers the convenience of bus power and works with Mac and PC,*** so you can access your ﬁles from whichever computer you're on, even while away from home.
- Dual interface, bus powered, plug and play
- Thunderbolt technology offers interface speeds up to 10 Gbit/s for lightning-fast transfers
- USB offers universal plug and play connectivity and interface speeds up to 5 Gbit/s in USB 3.0 mode
- Backward compatible with USB 2.0
- Includes both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 cables
- Sleek aluminum design
- Time Machine compatible
- Three-year warranty with 24/7 U.S.-based technical support
Did You Notice?
The dual Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 interface provides the fastest transfer rates for both new and older Macs.
- Other Features: Time Machine Compatible
- Hard Drive Type: External
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Weight: 9.28 oz./263.08 g
- Height: 5.12 in./13 cm
- Width: 3.17 in./8.05 cm
- Length: 0.92 in./2.34 cm
- Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later
- Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)/Vista (32-bit/64-bit)/XP/Server 2003/Server 2003 R2/Server 2008/Server 2008 R2
What's in the Box?
- Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt hard drive
- Thunderbolt cable (19.7 in./50 cm)
- USB 3.0 cable (19.7 in./50 cm)
- Three-year warranty statement
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three year
- UPC or EAN No.: 747464125114
- Mfr. Part Number: HD-PA500TU3
- Note: *Speeds shown represent maximum interface connection speeds. Actual device transfer speeds will vary based on hard drive specifications and host devices.**MiniStation Thunderbolt does not have a Thunderbolt pass-through port, so it must be the last device on a daisy-chain.***Windows OS systems only supported using USB connection.
Most Useful Reviews
Speed and Value
- Written by Jack P from Fair Oaks Ranch
Was this useful?
- Answered by Andre K
- Apr 1, 2013
- Asked by Lyn L from Brighton
- Dec 7, 2012
It would be better to format it ExFAT than FAT. With ExFAT, you'd have the same interoperability between Windows and Mac OS X, but you'd have fewer capacity restrictions. ExFAT was designed for larger FLASH drives specifically to be functional for both Windows and OS X.
As file systems go, it's not as good as either NTFS or the Mac OS X journaled file system, but it's the best option for passing files back and forth between the two operating systems. …More
- Answered by Will M from Charlottesville
- Feb 26, 2013
- Asked by Lana C from Melbourne
- Feb 25, 2013
No. The iPad lacks any kind of interface to connect to any external hard drive. It's not designed to communicate with external hard drives. …More
- Answered by Will M from Charlottesville
- Feb 26, 2013
Does this Buffalo have a Thunderbolt pass-thru so that other Thunderbolt accessories can be daisy-chained from it?
- Asked by Lynn L from Fellsmere
- Nov 12, 2012
No, it has to be at the end of the chain.
- Answered by Harald S from Boulder Creek
- Nov 19, 2012
No, it's bus-powered which means power for harddrive is provided from thunderbolt or USB port.
- Answered by Yoonha H from Nashville
- Nov 9, 2012
Hi, I have a MacBook air, OS X 10.7.5, 4 GB, & Time Capsule. What would thunderbolt/USB 3.0 portable hard drive offer?
- Asked by Kathryn D M from Cranston
- May 1, 2013