The WD My Passport for Mac portable hard drive includes a super-fast USB 3.0 interface for truly impressive transfer rates. It makes the perfect travel companion for your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.
Ultra-fast transfer rates
When connected to a USB 3.0 port, My Passport for Mac lets you access and save files in blazing speed. Get transfer times up to three times faster than with USB 2.0.*
USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility
With this single drive you get compatibility with your USB 2.0 devices today and the ultra-fast speed of USB 3.0 when you're ready to step up to the next generation.
Sleek, compact design
This compact enclosure offers plenty of storage, making it the ideal companion for the graphic professional, student, or road-warrior.
Set password protection and hardware encryption for your drive to protect your files from unauthorized use or access.
WD Drive Utilities
Register your drive, set drive timer, run diagnostics, and more using the WD Drive Utilities.
Formatted for Mac
HFS+ journaled so it works right out of the box with your MacBook or MacBook Air. You can also easily reformat it for Windows.
Compatible with Time Machine
Quickly back up your files with Time Machine.
WD quality inside and out
WD builds the drive inside with demanding requirements for durability, shock tolerance, and long-term reliability. Then the drive is surrounded with a durable enclosure designed for style and protection.
- Transferring files in blazing-fast speed with USB 3.0
- Connect to USB 2.0 devices today and then USB 3.0 devices when you're ready
- Add extra storage for your videos, music, photos, and files
- Back up your files with Time Machine
- Secure your files from unauthorized access with password protection and hardware encryption
Did you notice?Connect to a USB 3.0 port and transfer a full-length HD movie in under five minutes.
Apple Recommends ForTake your photos, movies, videos, and files along wherever you go with your MacBook.
What's in the Box?
- WD My Passport for Mac portable hard drive
- USB cable
- Quick install guide
- Connections : USB 2.0,USB 3.0
- Height : 0.6 in./1.52 cm
- Width : 4.35 in./11.05 cm
- Weight : 4.8 oz./136.08 g
- OS X 10.7 or later
- Mfr. Part Number : WDBGCH5000ASL-PESN
- UPC or EAN No. : 718037800882
- Note : Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty : Three-year limited
- *Performance may vary based on your hardware and system configuration.
Ratings & Reviews
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
- Asked by Gary C from New Canaan
- Apr 6, 2013
Yes you can. I back up both my iMac and MacBook Pro with one of these. I split the drive into 2 part itions for this. …
- Answered by Frits D from Repentigny
- Apr 12, 2013
- Asked by Karen D from Pleasanton
- Mar 10, 2013
Yes, you can use it with your 2009 iMac.
The iMac 2009 specifications indicate:
- One FireWire 8 00 port
- Total of six USB 2.0 ports: four ports on computer, two ports on wired keyboard.
Of those four USB 2.0 ports on the rear of your iMac, One of them can be used to power and use this WD 2TB drive. Just realize that you won't be achieving the super fast USB 3.0 speeds because the 2009 iMac doesn't support USB 3.0 (5 Gb/s max.), only the slower USB 2.0 (480Mb/s max.). But for nearly everyone out there, USB 2.0 is still fast enough (especially for music & picture storage or a Time Machine backup) …
- Answered by David C from Beaumont
- Mar 13, 2013
Specs say:Power Power Source: External power supply Does this mean it needs to be plugged into an outlet vs running off just the USB?
- Asked by Vicky N from Helotes
- Jan 14, 2013
No need to connect to power source.
- Answered by Wendy V from Brunswick West
- Mar 4, 2013