Speck’s SmartShell Satin case keeps your MacBook protected with its super-thin and lightweight two-piece design. The silky-smooth matte coating gives this case a great grippy feel. Anti-tip feet keep your MacBook stable and secure.
- Durable, ultra-thin (1.5mm) hard shell protects from scratches and scuffs
- Sleek, matte two-piece design is easy to put on and take off
- Anti-tilt rubberized feet keep your MacBook stable and secure
Did you notice?The Apple logo shines through the soft-touch frosted finish.
Apple Recommends ForHard-shell protection that keeps your MacBook light on its feet.
What's in the Box?
- Speck SmartShell Satin Case for MacBook
- Form Factor: Hard Case, Snap On
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Mfr. Part Number: SPK-A2396
- UPC or EAN No.: 848709005243
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One year (For details, please visit http://www.speckproducts.com/warranty-returns)
- Speck recommends cleaning your case before you put it on your MacBook and then once a month thereafter to avoid any build-up of dust or dirt. Simply wipe it with a soft, clean cloth or rinse with warm, soapy water. Before re-applying the case, make sure it’s completely dry—and also wipe down your Mac to remove any dust or particles.
Ratings & Reviews
Rear bottom tabs break
I've bought 2 of these cases and both broke at the same area where the bottom cover attaches to the rear sides. The case lasted ab I've bought 2 of these cases and both broke at the same area where the bottom cover attaches to the rear sides. The case lasted about 5 weeks each time. Bummer. The look and feel of the case are as expected …
- Written by MICHAEL W from SUMMERVILLE
122 of 128 people found this useful
get this if you want your mac to be utterly damaged and scratched on areas where the case hooks on to your machine. The snapping o get this if you want your mac to be utterly damaged and scratched on areas where the case hooks on to your machine. The snapping on of the case scratched my MBP and left white marks which caused my resale value to drop by nearly 50%. If you're someone who protects your product, please do not buy any casing that snaps onto your machine. It kills it. …
- Written by Bowie L
105 of 119 people found this useful
Not as good as previous Speck cases
I have used numerous Speck cases over the years and this is the worst one yet. The last case kept going strong for 3+ years, but t I have used numerous Speck cases over the years and this is the worst one yet. The last case kept going strong for 3+ years, but there is serious quality problems with this one. Like the other reviewer, I too had the rear bottom tab (just next to the right hand USB port) snap. Speck needs to really take a step back and assess these quality problems, because other than the tab snapping right off, the case does not fit as snug as models they have made before. I will be returning this and getting a different case or waiting until someone makes a really good one. …
- Written by Spencer W from Vancouver
85 of 89 people found this useful
rear bottom tab breaks after few days
- Written by Michel C from Annemasse
Bottom rear tabs break quickly and easily.
In making the case thinner, they weakened the rear clips. Both clips broke through normal use, just putting my laptop into my mess In making the case thinner, they weakened the rear clips. Both clips broke through normal use, just putting my laptop into my messenger bag on a desk or other hard surface. I wasn't rough on my laptop or case, this is a normal situation a laptop case should be able to handle. …
- Written by David C from Provo
1 of 1 people found this useful
Broken after 3mo very gentle use
My only previous disappointment with this case was that its matte finish shows EVERY fingerprint smudge and small scratch - even f My only previous disappointment with this case was that its matte finish shows EVERY fingerprint smudge and small scratch - even fingernails scratch it easily. A 15-second buff with a cloth would have it looking good again - even the small scratches disappeared - but it was something I had to do every couple of days. Nevertheless I was pretty happy with it - it fit well and seemed to offer good protection.
It has survived just three months in VERY gentle use. My Macbook gets gently hand-carried from table to table in our home offices - and not much - and only rarely leaves the house in a well-padded Targus bag, not recently. Yesterday as I was putting it down the bottom slid forward a couple of inches, I nearly lost my grip on the computer! As others have reported, two small tabs at the rear corners that are critical to attaching the bottom half of the case have broken. I have *NO* idea how this could have happened... I'm stunned that it has! Only in a museum display could it have a gentler life than it has here. Incredible!! I don't know what's going to replace it, but it won't be another Speck product. …
- Written by M M from Newmarket
2 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
im i recommended to use something to cool down my laptop if I use a shell case
- Asked by Jean-laurent B
- Aug 6, 2014
will this case protect my macbook pro from damage if I drop it ?
- Asked by Karen M from Jamaica
- Dec 25, 2012
I dropped my Macbook Pro in this case (accident) and it has no damage at all, the case is fine too, I dropped my Macbook Pro in this case (accident) and it has no damage at all, the case is fine too, its made of hard plastic and rubber. …
- Answered by Thomas D from Preston
- Jan 6, 2013
Does this also fit a mac book pro 13 inch retina display
- Asked by Vikram A from Dubai
- Dec 2, 2012
It wont. The retina display is much thinner than the normal MacBook Pro.
- Answered by Mireya R from Denver
- Feb 4, 2013
Will this fit the latest 13" retina display macbook pro, the one with the haswell chip?
- Asked by Jake J
- Nov 11, 2013
Yes. I just picked one up and it snapped right on. The lid portion fits a lot more snug than the bot Yes. I just picked one up and it snapped right on. The lid portion fits a lot more snug than the bottom. I haven't seen one on the older model but I may return it because its bugging me to have a slight creaking sound when I pick it up with one hand (when open) and I feel it slightly moving/detaching. It might be a good idea to keep it for the long term protection but the slight weight increase is noticeable when the Pros are so light now days. All that said, I can't imagine another brand would be better at this issue, it seems to be a function of this type of cover. …
- Answered by Chris H from Lehi
- Nov 12, 2013
How durable is this case?
- Asked by Joshua A from Miramar
- Jul 6, 2013
After a few months of owning this case, and one test drop, I have come to the conclusion that this i After a few months of owning this case, and one test drop, I have come to the conclusion that this is NOT a durable case. I took it off for cleaning my mac, and guess what? The plastic buds that hold the case onto the mac snaps, and falls off. All corners! The middle of the case has a huge crack. The case makes the mac super heavy. And when I took it off, there was too much dust, literally stuck to the Mac. And also, this case makes the Mac overheat countlessly whenever I hold it on my lap. It is blisteringly hot to the touch. As soon as I took the case off, my battery performed normally, No more warnings about the battery overheating. Do NOT get this product! …
- Answered by Thomas D from Preston
- Jul 20, 2013