Speck’s SmartShell Case perfectly matches the sleek, lightweight design of your MacBook. This super-slim glossy hard case is precision-engineered for a perfect fit. And for a striking appearance, each case offers rich color and a striking glossy finish that lets you show off your unique style—while allowing your Mac’s design shine through. Anti-tip feet keep your MacBook stable and secure.
- Durable, ultra-thin hard shell protects from scratches and scuffs
- Sleek, glossy two-piece design is easy to put on and take off
- Anti-tilt rubberized feet keep your MacBook stable and secure
Did you notice?The striking color effects let the fine design of your MacBook—and the Apple logo—shine through.
Apple Recommends ForHard-shell protection that keeps your MacBook light on its feet.
What's in the Box?
- Speck SmartShell Case for MacBook
- Form Factor: Hard Case, Snap On
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Mfr. Part Number: SPK-A2402
- UPC or EAN No.: 848709005304
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One year (For details, please visit http://www.speckproducts.com/warranty-returns)
- Speck recommends cleaning your case before you put it on your MacBook and then once a month thereafter to avoid any build-up of dust or dirt. Simply wipe it with a soft, clean cloth or rinse with warm, soapy water. Before re-applying the case, make sure it’s completely dry—and also wipe down your Mac to remove any dust or particles.
Ratings & Reviews
Not worth it.
I bought this case after reading reviews of this product for the MacBook Pro 13 inch with retina display. I have the Macbook Pro 1 I bought this case after reading reviews of this product for the MacBook Pro 13 inch with retina display. I have the Macbook Pro 15 inch with retina display. It's a good product, but the company recommends that you remove the case and any dust that has collected in between the case and your laptop. When I went to remove the case, I found that it was very difficult to do and there was an excellent chance that it was going to scratch my brand new laptop-that cost me a $3800! Also, the screen for retina display laptops are super thin and I felt that removing the shell could damage the screen because it so hard to take off. Needless to say, I bought an Incase sleeve instead. $50 gone to waste, but at least I know my laptop won't be damaged by the case that is supposed to protect it. …
- Written by Raj S from Brampton
81 of 102 people found this useful
SCRATCHES EASILY AND AFTER A LITTLE WHILE THE FRONT BOTTOM PART DOESNT SEEM TO FIT AS TIGHT AS WHEN PURCHASED. GOT THE MOSHI CASE SCRATCHES EASILY AND AFTER A LITTLE WHILE THE FRONT BOTTOM PART DOESNT SEEM TO FIT AS TIGHT AS WHEN PURCHASED. GOT THE MOSHI CASE TOO AND FOR 10 DOLLARS MORE THINK IT FAR SUPERIOR IN FEEL, STYLE AND FITS THE MACBOOK FAR BETTER. …
- Written by Andreas R from New York
36 of 43 people found this useful
HANDS DOWN THE ABSOLUTE BEST CASE FOR YOUR MBP RETINA
From my experience the Speck SmartShell is the best overall case for your Macbook Pro. I originally purchased this case for my Mac From my experience the Speck SmartShell is the best overall case for your Macbook Pro. I originally purchased this case for my Macbook Pro 17" and again for my 15" Retina and thought it's a good case but it does show scratches since the plastic is glossy clear and the feet underneath the case will get slightly yellow with time (at least the one for my MBP 17" did after a few years). I looked at the reviews for the Moshi 15" iGlaze Shell case and thought I should give it a try instead since so many people highly recommend the iGlaze over the SmartShell. It turns out they're very wrong and here's why. Most people said the iGlaze does not show scratches. They're wrong, if you look closely, only a few times after handling the case you can see the hairline scratches... you just see them a bit less because the case is "glazed" but trust me they're there. The biggest problem with the iGlaze is the finish of the plastic. It's extremely slippery in your hand, compared to the Speck SmartShell which has the gloss finish and is extremely sticky to the touch. If you hold both of them in each hand you will see how the Speck SmartShell actually grips better. Even if you only close your MBP and insert it in a bag or like me carry your MBP up a flight of stairs you will take the Speck SmartShell any day over the Moshi iGlaze Shell because it has a better feel in the hand that's safer to carry in one hand. Simply put the Moshi 15" iGlaze Shell case is a straight up fail compared to the Speck SmartShell case. …
- Written by Joseph D from Ottawa
23 of 33 people found this useful
I loved the idea and look of this case, unfortunately, there seem to be design flaws.
I ordered this with my new MB Air in March I loved the idea and look of this case, unfortunately, there seem to be design flaws.
I ordered this with my new MB Air in March, within the first few days, it cracked. I'd barely moved it even on the desk. I took it back and got a replacement. Again, within the next few days, still not having moved from my desktop, the corners cracked again and now the bottom shell doesn't even stay on. For the time it takes, I haven't decided whether or not to try and return this one as well. I don't see what good having another one that will most likely crack again will do me. Not a good investment :( …
- Written by Rebecca V from Woodside
2 of 2 people found this useful
Not robust at all
This is an appealing product, but with a fatal flaw. The corner tabs on the back of the bottom break off; mine broke within three This is an appealing product, but with a fatal flaw. The corner tabs on the back of the bottom break off; mine broke within three months of purchase. (I'm not rough on my equipment generally.) The feet on the bottom don't hold up well, either; one came off. Other comments here suggest that this breakage is all too common. The product is meant to be "robust," but is not. …
- Written by Andre L from Brackendale
4 of 4 people found this useful
It is falling apart about one year after purchase, there's got to be a better way...
- Written by German H from San Rafael
3 of 3 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Do these cases cause overheating? Is there good ventilation?
- Asked by Monika G from Corapeake
- Jul 19, 2014
There is good ventilation due to the fact that there is a space left open for the fans to work. Hope There is good ventilation due to the fact that there is a space left open for the fans to work. Hope this helps you! …
- Answered by Brad M from Kitchener
- Aug 9, 2014
is this pink or purple??
- Asked by Tina G from Ocean Ridge
- Jul 2, 2014
its haze purple, sadly not pink like it looks
- Answered by Louise H
- Jul 8, 2014
does smartshell fit on macbook pro 15 early 2013.
- Asked by Mário T from Praia
- Jul 11, 2014
Does it fit the MacBook Pro without the retina display?
- Asked by Denise M from Bellaire
- Jun 11, 2013
Yes, just be sure to select that specific model before purchase.
- Answered by Brandon S from Abbeville
- Jun 12, 2013
i have a macbook, not a macbook pro. does anyone know if they sell cases for them?
- Asked by Siri Y
- Aug 18, 2013
Does the Speck MBP smart shell come with keyboard protection?
- Asked by Natalie V from Marathon
- Aug 5, 2013
It does not. Although we do have keyboard protectors available in store and online.
- Answered by Erica A from San Francisco
- Aug 7, 2014