Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is the fastest, most seamless, and most intuitive way to run Windows* and Mac applications side by side, without rebooting. Powerful performance lets you run Windows productivity applications—even graphics intensive ones—with ease. If you're new to Mac, keep the familiar Windows experience on your Mac. If you love the look and feel of Mac OS, make Windows invisible while still using its applications. Either way, run Windows and Mac applications side by side with no compromises in performance.
Mac OS X Mountain Lion support
Run Windows applications like they were made for Mac. Experience Mountain Lion's intuitive features like Launchpad and Mission Control even while running Windows applications.
Versatile for home, work, and school
Let one Mac take care of all your computing needs. Run the Windows programs you need for work and play and the Mac applications you love side by side without rebooting.
A must-have in the Mac-based business
An office full of Macs can still run the business-critical Windows applications that you, your customers, and your partners need.
Perfect if you're new to Mac
Start with the familiar look of Windows. Then add more and more of the Mac look, feel, and experience to your Windows programs at your pace.
- Access your Mac and Windows applications from anywhere with the Parallels Mobile App for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch**
- Select up to 1GB of video memory for your most graphics-intensive Windows programs
- Use a wide variety of design programs and games with DirectX 9.0c/9Ex and Shader Model 3 support
- Take advantage of support for Mac OS X Mountain Lion, including running it as a guest OS
- Immerse yourself in your favorite games, music, and videos with 7.1 surround sound support
- Boot Windows even faster than in earlier versions of Parallels
- Full support for Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, and more
- Easily copy and paste formatted text and images between Windows and Mac
- Multi-touch trackpad gestures for navigating through Windows applications like in Mac applications
- Organize multiple windows with Mission Control
- Choose from four view modes and have as much or as little Windows as you want
- Copy and paste and drag and drop between Mac and Windows applications
- New Presentation Wizard lets you easily and beautifully show presentations from your Mac on any external monitor or projector
- Switch from Safari to the same web page in Internet Explorer with a single click
- Easily use USB 3.0 devices
- Employ Mountain Lion's Dictation capabilities in Windows applications
Did you notice?Lets you use convenient Mac OS X features such as Mission Control and Launchpad while running Windows applications.
Apple Recommends ForFor home users, business professionals, students and passionate gamers who want the fastest, smartest and most powerful way to run Windows on their Mac without rebooting.
What's in the Box?
- Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac
- Product download for Macs without optical drive
- Complimentary Mac and Windows security software trial subscriptions from Norton and Kaspersky and online back up and recover from Acronis
- Internet Access : Some Features Require Internet Access
- Media : Activation Code & Download Link,DVD
- Mac OS X v10.6.8, v10.7, v10.8 or later
- Intel Core 2 Duo processor (Intel Core Solo and Core Duo processors no longer supported)
- At least 700 MB of free hard-drive space for Parallels Desktop installation plus space to allocate to your virtual machine.
- 2 GB (4 GB recommended)
- Windows operating system (Sold separately)
- Mfr. Part Number : PDFM8L-BX1-EN
- UPC or EAN No. : 846829000766
- Note : Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty : 30 days
- *Windows and other operating systems sold separately.
**Separate purchase from the App Store.
Ratings & Reviews
Best of both worlds
I was hesitant for a while to use a Mac because I have been a PC user for a long time and was used to Windows operating system (cu rrently Windows 7), but I needed a new laptop and everyone is telling me to switch to a Mac. I have Windows programs that I must use for work but I heard there are programs out there that will allow me to use my Windows programs.
So I felt confident in buying a Macbook Pro. After much research I choose Parallels to run my Windows operating system. I did not want to use Boot Camp that Apple offers because then you have to decide at the time you start your computer which OS you want to use. You can't share between the two.
Set up was easy. I loaded Parallels and then Windows 7. After 2-1/2 months - it's been great! It took a while to understand the "Apple" way of doing things compared to what I was used to (i.e.; file folders and such), but so far so good. I can easily share and switch between the two OS's. I have files in the Mac OS that I open up with programs from my Windows OS. Also, Windows 7 seems to run better and faster. Another cool thing is - you know how Windows always has updates and sometimes it requires a restart for the updates to take effect - that when you do a Windows restart, it only restarts in the Windows environment! I can still use my Mac while Windows is restarting!
Parallels has made switching to a Mac much easier with no worries about losing the ability to use Windows programs and with the ability to share files between the two OS's. …
- Written by Larry M from North royalton
505 of 612 people found this useful
Near seamless integration of Windows apps
I love my Mac for work (and home) but needed to be able to use MS Visio and MS Project for my consulting practice. Tried both Par allels and VMware and found Parallels to be the most bug free and well integrated with the Mac workflow. …
- Written by John H from Hendersonville
281 of 333 people found this useful
I switched this year to Parallels from Fusion and I love it. Parallels is much better integrated into Mac OS and works seamlessly . None of the messy fits and starts I had with Fusion. …
- Written by ROBERT K from Silver Spring
250 of 292 people found this useful
Parallels Makes the Impossible Possible
I work in an all-Windows office and must use certain programs that are Windows-only. Parallels, which I've been using for many ye ars, allows me to have a superior computer and operating systems (MacBook Pro, Mac OS 10.7.5) and seamless access to the Windows programs.
The speed and efficiency of the Parallels virtual machine make working in Windows almost Mac-like. …
- Written by Robert P from Folsom
3 of 4 people found this useful
Product to use!
This product works well for my needs to still use Windows based operating system from time to time.
- Written by Andrew L from Croswell
2 of 3 people found this useful
Until Office & Quicken are better for Mac...
Parallels has proved invaluable to me, even as a moderate user. I didn't like the version of Quicken for the Mac and I hated MS O ffice for the Mac, so I installed Parallels...and voila! Seemless, easy, fast...I love having the best of both worlds at my fingertips. Bravo Parallels. …
- Written by DAVID L from Burbank
2 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
I'm confused...I'm planning to buy a MacBookPro Retina Display and would like to know if I need to buy Parallels and Office? Only iWork? Only Office?
- Asked by Veronica M from Miraflores
- May 19, 2013
As always the answer depends on your needs.
For maximum compatibility, get Office (for PC) and run it under Parallels. You will also need to buy a copy of Windows.
iWork can import from and export to Word, Excel & PowerPoint, but the conversion is not always perfect. Word docs translate well until you start getting fancy - then you'll have some reformatting to do. Excel is ok but remember that Numbers does not support a macro language like VBA. PowerPoint has translated pretty well for me. I Like iWork, and unless I need the really complex features of Office I will create my docs & spreadsheets using it. And the price is very reasonable.
There is Office for Mac - I do not use it. All I know is that it does not support VBA. I'd go for parallels & the PC version.
You didn't ask this but it might be relevant: if you are replacing a PC, Parallels can import everything from the PC. Windows OS, applications, and your files. I did this & did not have to buy Windows, & the copy of Office I had is working just fine. The only expense was Parallels itself. …
- Answered by Timothy O from Dover
- May 21, 2013
I want to use Nvivo software which is currently only available for Windows. Would I be able to use this type of software with Parallels Desktop 8?
- Asked by Anne C from Rochedale South
- May 31, 2013
Yes you will be fine!
- Answered by Rudolf S
- Jun 2, 2013
I just upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard and my VM Fusion 2.0.8 no longer works in Lion, can I replace my Fusion with PD8 and still access my Win XP?
- Asked by Eric B from Florence
- Jun 15, 2013
No answers yet
Will this program allow me to run OneNote on my Mac and save all of my previous OneNote files from my old pc to my mac?
- Asked by Natalie C from Auburn
- Oct 15, 2012
- Asked by Ronald W
- Oct 5, 2012