LaCie 8TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive
Power, versatility, and capacity.
- Blazing speeds up to 327 MB/s*
- RAID flexibility—speed or security with Mac OS
- Dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining
- Two hot-swappable disks for non-stop data access
- Includes Thunderbolt cable
Apple Recommends For
Improve backup time, photo library browsing performance, and camera downloads on your MacBook Pro.
The LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series hard drive offers transfer rates of up to 327 MB/s*. That means backups take a fraction of the time, letting you back up more frequently. If you're a photographer using Aperture, you'll notice significantly more responsive photo library browsing. And if you rely on Final Cut Pro X or other professional software, you can even stream multiple HD video streams directly from the drive.
RAID for speed or security
Use Disk Utility on your Mac OS to configure the 2big Thunderbolt Series into a RAID array that suits your needs. It's possible to set it up as a mirrored RAID set (RAID 1), which provides data protection if one disk fails. Thanks to its removable disks, you can simply replace a disk, with zero data loss and no work interruption.
Alternatively, configure it as a striped RAID set (RAID 0) to maximize speed and capacity for large file storage and fast transfers. It even supports JBOD, which lets you assign each disk to a specific data storage task.
Daisy chain to multiply options
Thunderbolt technology is the most flexible interface ever created. With dual Thunderbolt ports on the 2big, you can daisy chain up to six Thunderbolt peripherals together. That means you don't need to buy a hub to connect multiple devices to a single Thunderbolt port on your Mac. Daisy chaining multiple 2bigs can also push overall performance to more than 670MB/s* for your most data-intensive tasks. Thunderbolt technology is also mini-DisplayPort compatible.
Aluminum reliability and security
The 2big's advanced dual cooling system ensures long-term reliability by preventing overheating. Its solid-aluminum casing provides 60% more surface area, which diverts and dissipates heat more efficiently. In addition, its thermo-regulated fan turns on and off according to internal temperature. For more energy savings, the front power button even lets you turn off the product without breaking a daisy chain connection.
- 10 Gbit/s Thunderbolt interface
- RAID-ready for speed or security
- Replaceable disks for continuous data access
- Dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining up to six compatible storage devices together
- Mini DisplayPort backward compatible for daisy chaining with other digital devices such as monitors and compatible cameras
- Dual cooling system prolongs product life
- Includes Thunderbolt cable
Did You Notice?
Daisy chain up to six compatible storage devices for increased storage capacity and speed.
- Other Features: RAID Support,Sleep Mode,Time Machine Compatible,Upgradeable / Expandable
- Cache: 64MB (2 by 32MB) or greater
- Hard Drive Spindle Speed: 7200 RPM
- Maximum Transfer Rate: Up to 327 MB/s*
- Power Source: External power supply
- Number of Ports: 0
- Weight: 5.95 lb./2.7 kg
- Height: 7.8 in./19.8 cm
- Width: 3.5 in./8.9 cm
- Length: 6.7 in./17 cm
- Backup Software: Intego Backup Manager Pro
- OS X 10.6 or later
- Thunderbolt port
What's in the Box?
- LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series hard drive
- Thunderbolt cable
- Drive stand for upright use
- External power supply
- CD with user manual and quick install guide
- Intego Backup Manager Pro
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three-year limited (For details, please visit http://www.lacie.com/legal/warranty.htm)
- UPC or EAN No.: 093053001544
- Mfr. Part Number: 9000246
- Note: *These transfer rates were achieved using AJA System Test with a 6TB 2big Thunderbolt Series in RAID 0 when connected to a 17" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz Quad Core and 4GB RAM with 32k.
Most Useful Reviews
- Written by Dace P
Was this useful?
Be careful buying this product
- Written by Patrick S from Eindhoven
Was this useful?
connect thunder cable from MBP to thunder port, use 2TB as my MBP backup. Also I want to connect thunder cable from 27" iMac to the 2nd thunder port?
- Asked by Jason W from Hornsby
- Apr 13, 2013
No answers yet
can I use any 3.5 hard drive with this product? I want to just plug in the HDs from my aged Mac Pro - when my new 27 inch iMac arrives.
- Asked by Lawrence C from Stratford
- Mar 17, 2013
You could, but you are paying for 2 fast 7200 RPM drives. Most likely, you just want an empty enclosure. …More
- Answered by Michael H from New York
- Mar 22, 2013
- Asked by Terry C from The Ponds
- Mar 1, 2013