The G-Technology G-RAID with Thunderbolt hard drive helps you get the most out of your professional content-creation applications. It's 12 times faster than FireWire 800, with raw speed that other I/O interfaces can't match.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- Ultra-fast, high-performance Thunderbolt interface technology
- Double the data transfer rates of USB 3.0 and more than 12 times faster than FireWire 800
- RAID 0 for maximum performance
- Supports multi-stream HDV, DVCPro HD, XDCAM HD, ProRes 422 and uncompressed SD workflows
- Dual Thunderbolt ports for easy access and daisy-chaining up to six Thunderbolt compatible peripherals
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS X
- 7200 RPM drive technology
- Solid all-aluminum case for ultimate durability
Did you notice?Thunderbolt technology gives you speeds 12 times faster than FireWire 800.
Apple Recommends ForManage multi-stream HDV, uncompressed SD and other high-capacity workflows on your Mac with ease.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-RAID with Thunderbolt external hard drive
- Thunderbolt Cable
- Power cable
- AC power adapter
- Quick start guide
- Other Features: Kensington Port, RAID support, Time Machine compatible, Upgradeable / Expandable
- Connections: Thunderbolt
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 3.37 in./8.57 cm
- Width: 5.12 in./13 cm
- Length: 9.25 in./23.5 cm
- Mac OS X v10.6 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G02289
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487190007
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three-year limited
Ratings & Reviews
Very happy with this drive
The drive is very quiet. I also have a GSPEED Q..... That was very noisy.......so it was nice to see this drive be so quiet. The d The drive is very quiet. I also have a GSPEED Q..... That was very noisy.......so it was nice to see this drive be so quiet. The drive is very fast. The look of the drive fits nicely with the iMac. The build is very good. …
- Written by DANNY L from Simi Valley
91 of 101 people found this useful
Second time's the charm
Needed fast storage for editing video on 2011 17 MPB. Seemed to work fine until I used it as a source for Time Capsule. Then the d Needed fast storage for editing video on 2011 17 MPB. Seemed to work fine until I used it as a source for Time Capsule. Then the drive would self eject every five minutes or so. G-Tech customer support tried their best but to no avail. Returned and exchanged drive next day. New drive works great. Quick, quiet and reliable. Perfect for FCPX. …
- Written by Tom F from Raleigh
91 of 102 people found this useful
This drive is great for me as I am a video Dj with a vast diverse music library, and while I run scratch live, along with Serato v This drive is great for me as I am a video Dj with a vast diverse music library, and while I run scratch live, along with Serato video, or Mix Emergency, this drive is as fast as I need it to be plus more. …
- Written by David G from las vegas
92 of 107 people found this useful
I uploaded close to 1TB of video and photos that I will never get back. The system disk simply stopped working. The cost to recove I uploaded close to 1TB of video and photos that I will never get back. The system disk simply stopped working. The cost to recover the information is ridiculous. Not happy. I then purchased the Lacie 6TB desktop system which shorted out on me (using a power bar). …
- Written by Paul M from Calgary
5 of 10 people found this useful
I purchased the 4TB RAID to back-up all of my movies. It transferred all of the data relatively quickly. However, once the data I purchased the 4TB RAID to back-up all of my movies. It transferred all of the data relatively quickly. However, once the data was backed up and the drive fell asleep it would not wake up. I tried to eject the drive to turn it off and on again but it would not eject. Eventually I ended up turning off the drive without ejecting. Contacted tech support multiple times and got different explanations. I returned the drive and they sent a new one. Same problem with the new drive. I returned that one and they sent another replacement. Same problem again. They were willing to keep sending me new drives until I received one that work. I didn't want to do that and ask them to send the standard 4TB drive, not RAID, it works perfect and I am completely happy. Their only suggestion with regards to the RAID was to purchase disksomnia to prevent the drive from falling asleep. …
- Written by Scott M from Upland
28 of 35 people found this useful
Will not work as an encrypted Time Machine backup
Great drive. I loved all aspects of it until I learned that it cannot be used to hold an encrypted Time Machine backup. The issue Great drive. I loved all aspects of it until I learned that it cannot be used to hold an encrypted Time Machine backup. The issue does not seem to be unique to the G-RAID, but rather appears to be intrinsic to all RAID drives. Since our enterprise IT staff require that all backup Time Machine disks be encrypted, unfortunately I had to return this and go with a slower non-RAID model. Other than that was very happy with the disk. …
- Written by Tom W from Salt Lake City
20 of 24 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
is it RAID 5 capable
- Asked by Stephen L from Manchester
- Mar 8, 2013
No. This device is RAID-0. For RAID-5 you would need a min of 3 and preferably 4 drives. The G-SPEED No. This device is RAID-0. For RAID-5 you would need a min of 3 and preferably 4 drives. The G-SPEED-Q is the one for you if want RAID 5. …
- Answered by Mark V from Idaho Falls
- Mar 14, 2013
which data cable do i require for the for the G-Tech 4TB G-RAID Thunderbolt Hard Drive
- Asked by Lucy M
- Aug 13, 2012
You need a Thunderbolt port, it won't connect or work on Firewire.
- Answered by Martin M from Poole
- Sep 7, 2012
is it compatible with os 10.9 with no problems?
- Asked by Oliver B
- Nov 4, 2013
I have not noticed any problems.
- Answered by David A
- Nov 24, 2014
Does this act as a storage facility as well? As I want to store photos on it
- Asked by Jon H
- Nov 20, 2014
It IS a storage facility; you can store any kind of file on it, including photos, or you can use it It IS a storage facility; you can store any kind of file on it, including photos, or you can use it as a TimeMachine backup. …
- Answered by David A
- Nov 24, 2014
does the G-drive 4 TB Thunderbolt external hard drive come with a thunderbolt cable?
- Asked by Paul C from Philadelphia
- Sep 18, 2013
Yes. I just ordered mine and it came in today. It was the first thing in the box
- Answered by Jake C from Springfield
- Jan 24, 2014
Looking to get into filming weddings. I will have lots of footage. So as not fill Comp HD- will this G drive be quick with final cut x?
- Asked by Gerald M from Cinnaminson
- Jul 10, 2013
Yes. I use one for Final Cut Pro X. It is fast and reliable.
- Answered by Martin N
- May 2, 2014