OverviewThe HP Officejet Pro 8600 makes it all easy. Print from a variety of mobile devices on the go; HP ePrint lets you print from practically anywhere. Use the intuitive touchscreen to access business apps, plus quickly print and store files. Or view and print photos from a USB drive or memory cards. And it's easy to stay connected thanks to a choice of USB, Wi-Fi 802.1b/g/n, and Ethernet connectivity.
- Professional color for up to 50-percent lower cost per page than lasers
- Print, copy, scan, and fax
- Efficient web connectivity—even print on the go with HP ePrint
- Standout versatility with copy and scan solutions
- Convenient connectivity via wireless or wired Ethernet
- Automatic two-sided printing
- Dependable 25,000-page monthly duty cycle
- Exceptional energy and resource savings
Did you notice?Professional color for up to 50-percent lower cost per page than with laser printers.
Apple Recommends ForHandle all your business printing, copying, and faxing needs with this HP all-in-one and your Mac.
What's in the Box?
- HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One printer
- Automatic two-sided printing accessory
- Four setup ink cartridges (Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow)
- Power cord and phone cord
- Setup poster, getting started guide, and CD-ROMs (for software, Mac and Windows printer drivers, and user's guide)
- Color resolution : Up to 4800 by 1200 optimized dpi on HP Advanced Photo paper, 1200 by 1200 input dpi
- Connections : AirPrint ,Ethernet,USB 2,Wireless
- Height : 11.8 in./29.97 cm
- Width : 19.4 in./49.28 cm
- Weight : 26.4 lb./11.97 kg
- Length : 16.3 in./41.4 cm
- Mac OS X v10.5.8 through v10.8
- PowerPC G4 or G5 or Intel Core processor
- 300MB of free hard-drive space
- 256MB of RAM
- Available USB port
- Windows 7
- 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 2GB of free hard-drive space
- 1GB of RAM
- Available USB port
- Mfr. Part Number : CM749A#B1H
- UPC or EAN No. : 886111607112
- Note : Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty : One-year limited for hardware, plus 24-hour, 7 days a week web support, and business hour phone support within warranty period
- *Print speeds vary with usage.
Ratings & Reviews
HP 8600 Review
I've had nothing but trouble with it. I called HP Customer Support and was directed to their "Leadstream" Department. I was told b y Leadstream there are hardware problems and I should unplug and re-plug it. It worked for a while and then failed to print again. When I went through the drill another time, it printed 5 copies rather than one, wasting ink and paper. When it prints it is fine, but the printer is utterly unreliable.
Called HP again. They told me to plug the printer into the wall and not a power bar. I told them I would use an extension cord given where my outlet is located. They said that may not work.
I am going to return this while it is still under warranty. HP is a great company, but this product was apparently released before it was perfected. …
- Written by steven M from Glencoe
118 of 141 people found this useful
This is a horrible printer. It has issues connecting to WifFi. To scan I had to activate scan each time - and it doesn't work. Hav e to reboot the printer n times. VERY SLOW scan and printer speed. Gosh...I could go on and on..
Prior to this I owned a Canon and it was PERFECT. The only reason I went with HP is at that point it only supported AirPrint.
I just might take a loss and buy a Canon now that they have firmware update for airprint.
One of the worst printers ever...Buyer Beware …
- Written by Vishal P from Millersville
105 of 129 people found this useful
I replaced my Samsung laser jet with this printer. It was better to replace with a new all in one ink jet because of the cost of t he laser cartridges. The quality of the print is good. I love the AirPrint feature as I have 2 iPads and one iPhone. This printer does it all and is great for home use. Very easy to set up. I run desktops with Mac OSX and Win 7. Highly recommend to anyone wanting a great value in an all in one printer. …
- Written by Jon S from East Peoria
88 of 97 people found this useful
GREAT Printer !!!!
This printer has been awesome. No issues at all. Connected to an Airport Wi-Fi Network immediately. Air print works from iPhones, iPads, iMacs and MacBooks instantly with no setup. Purchased it primarily because of the ink savings. With kids in school ink costs were incredibly high. Still using the starter cartridges that came with the printer. Scanning works flawlessly as well. Highly recommend. …
- Written by Dan J from Littleton
10 of 10 people found this useful
Best printer I've ever had!
I bought this printer when I bought my iMac in January of 2012 and I've had no problems with it. I am amazed at how long the ink has lasted! Still to this day I have yet to replace the original ink and I use it at least once every week. I would recommend this printer to anyone! I am also an electronics guy so maybe that is why I haven't had any issues. I was just reading some of the reviews on here and felt that I needed to write this. My wifi and connectivity has always been very solid. It's very smart and it will let you know when an update from HP is ready and it downloads it through wifi with no issues. Let me also say that i'm a Mac guy too. My entire house is Mac, iPod , iPad, iPhone and it all works seamlessly. I hope this helps! …
- Written by Brad B from Denver
9 of 10 people found this useful
Piece of JUNK
I had the hp 7300 that was still working, upgraded to the 8600 pro that should have been called an con, lasted about 6 months,. Have to send it back . Hardware issue it won't scan, copy, or fax what a piece of junk, I own a lot of hp products but not any more. Having pc now printers . Apple needs there own printers …
- Written by Walter C from Lacombe
8 of 10 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
The printer is TWAIN compliant, but the drivers are only in Windows format. You can scan using soft ware like HP Scan (with the driver install), Image Capture (comes with OS X), etc. then open it in Adobe Acrobat for more functions. The format of the Mac drivers is ICA only.
You can check the HP site for the printer to read about the windows only (Can't put link in this field for some reason). …
- Answered by Dax D from Grapevine
- Jun 2, 2013
Can I run this printer with my local Airport network? Can I run this printer with my older Mac G5 using OS 10.4?
- Asked by Ludwig S from Phoenix
- Mar 16, 2013
No answers yet
Although the installation software to make this printer run on a wireless network is frustrating, th is printer is worth the initial effort. We have the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus. It supports a second paper tray (sold separately) and prints from your iPad, iPod, and iPhone! What a time saver this is compared to having to send to my iMac, then print! I love the new line of printers from hp. I just wish they supported the Mac OS more. I guess in time and with software updates we'll get there. The print quality is definitely up to hp standards and it seems in the last couple of years they have taken care of the paper feed/jam issues. …
- Answered by Heber H from Sugar City
- Jan 23, 2012
- Asked by John G from Bowling Green
- Dec 9, 2011
I don't know about the banners. However, if you require a second tray, you'd need to move up to the "Premium" line of the 8600 Pro Plus (which typically sells for $100 more). …
- Answered by Larry T from Chesterfield
- Dec 10, 2011