The HP Officejet Pro 8600 makes it all easy. Print from a variety of mobile devices on the go; HP ePrint lets you print from practically anywhere. Use the intuitive touchscreen to access business apps, plus quickly print and store files. Or view and print photos from a USB drive or memory cards. And it's easy to stay connected thanks to a choice of USB, Wi-Fi 802.1b/g/n, and Ethernet connectivity.
- Professional color for up to 50-percent lower cost per page than lasers
- Print, copy, scan, and fax
- Efficient web connectivity—even print on the go with HP ePrint
- Standout versatility with copy and scan solutions
- Convenient connectivity via wireless or wired Ethernet
- Automatic two-sided printing
- Dependable 25,000-page monthly duty cycle
- Exceptional energy and resource savings
Did you notice?Professional color for up to 50-percent lower cost per page than with laser printers.
Apple Recommends ForHandle all your business printing, copying, and faxing needs with this HP all-in-one and your Mac.
What's in the Box?
- HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One printer
- Automatic two-sided printing accessory
- Four setup ink cartridges (Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow)
- Power cord and phone cord
- Setup poster, getting started guide, and CD-ROMs (for software, Mac and Windows printer drivers, and user's guide)
- Connections: AirPrint , Ethernet, USB 2.0, Wireless
- Other Functions: Copy, Fax, Scanner
- Height: 11.8 in./29.97 cm
- Width: 19.4 in./49.28 cm
- Weight: 26.4 lb./11.97 kg
- Length: 16.3 in./41.4 cm
- Black print speed: Up to 18 ISO ppm*
- Black resolution: Up to 1200 by 600 dpi
- Color print speed: Up to 13 ISO ppm*
- Color resolution: Up to 4800 by 1200 optimized dpi on HP Advanced Photo paper, 1200 by 1200 input dpi
- Max Paper Size: Legal (8.5 by 14 in.)
- Min Paper Size: 3 by 5 in.
- Other Paper Handling Features: Automatic Document Feeder, Duplex Printing
- Other Printer Features: Borderless Printing, Transparencies
- Printer Ink Tanks: 4
- Printer Technology: Inkjet
- Scanner resolution: Up to 4800 dpi
- Mac OS X v10.5.8 through v10.8
- PowerPC G4 or G5 or Intel Core processor
- 300MB of free hard-drive space
- 256MB of RAM
- Available USB port
- Windows 7
- 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 2GB of free hard-drive space
- 1GB of RAM
- Available USB port
- Mfr. Part Number: CM749A#B1H
- UPC or EAN No.: 886111607112
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One-year limited for hardware, plus 24-hour, 7 days a week web support, and business hour phone support within warranty period
- *Print speeds vary with usage.
Ratings & Reviews
HP 8600 Review
I've had nothing but trouble with it. I called HP Customer Support and was directed to their "Leadstream" Department. I was told b I've had nothing but trouble with it. I called HP Customer Support and was directed to their "Leadstream" Department. I was told by Leadstream there are hardware problems and I should unplug and re-plug it. It worked for a while and then failed to print again. When I went through the drill another time, it printed 5 copies rather than one, wasting ink and paper. When it prints it is fine, but the printer is utterly unreliable.
Called HP again. They told me to plug the printer into the wall and not a power bar. I told them I would use an extension cord given where my outlet is located. They said that may not work.
I am going to return this while it is still under warranty. HP is a great company, but this product was apparently released before it was perfected. …
- Written by steven M from Glencoe
199 of 237 people found this useful
This is a horrible printer. It has issues connecting to WifFi. To scan I had to activate scan each time - and it doesn't work. Hav This is a horrible printer. It has issues connecting to WifFi. To scan I had to activate scan each time - and it doesn't work. Have to reboot the printer n times. VERY SLOW scan and printer speed. Gosh...I could go on and on..
Prior to this I owned a Canon and it was PERFECT. The only reason I went with HP is at that point it only supported AirPrint.
I just might take a loss and buy a Canon now that they have firmware update for airprint.
One of the worst printers ever...Buyer Beware …
- Written by Vishal P from Millersville
174 of 215 people found this useful
I replaced my Samsung laser jet with this printer. It was better to replace with a new all in one ink jet because of the cost of t I replaced my Samsung laser jet with this printer. It was better to replace with a new all in one ink jet because of the cost of the laser cartridges. The quality of the print is good. I love the AirPrint feature as I have 2 iPads and one iPhone. This printer does it all and is great for home use. Very easy to set up. I run desktops with Mac OSX and Win 7. Highly recommend to anyone wanting a great value in an all in one printer. …
- Written by Jon S from East Peoria
138 of 153 people found this useful
I don't understand the complaining reviews. I purchased this device directly from the HP store to replace a 6-year-old HP L7590 Al I don't understand the complaining reviews. I purchased this device directly from the HP store to replace a 6-year-old HP L7590 All-in-One with one having Wireless capability. Installation was simple and connecting to the network was quick and easy. I followed the instructions on the display of the printer to establish the Wi-Fi connection. At no time did I connect the device using either a USB or Ethernet cable. Also, I did not use the DVD that came with the printer to install the driver, etc. Instead, I used the latest version of the driver software (downloaded from the HP website). All features I use work well — printing, copying, scanning. (I have no use for the Fax function so I haven't tried to use it.)
This device is quieter than the one it replaced. Otherwise, it seems to operate at about the same speed. Print quality is slightly better. The biggest difference is the added Wi-Fi capability. …
- Written by Thomas J W from SAINT GEORGE
Wireless is useless as is direct connection
I will be returning this printer to the store as I bought it 2 days ago. I did find that it will print wirelessly if I choose the I will be returning this printer to the store as I bought it 2 days ago. I did find that it will print wirelessly if I choose the printer from the network drop down menu, but that may only be because I am using a printer cable as well. But then I am not connected to the the internet so I cannot continue working on anything else until the printing is done. HP has a lemon on its hands as it pertains to the wireless printing feature on the Officejet Pro 8600 All in One. While searching for a solution, I found a large number of complaints regarding this same issue on many forums. …
- Written by Susan B from Santa Fe
Overall a great printer
I'm not sure why this product is getting such consistently low reviews, because I have nothing to say against this printer. I read I'm not sure why this product is getting such consistently low reviews, because I have nothing to say against this printer. I read these reviews and decided to buy it anyway.
This printer is easy to install and prints over WiFi and via email like a charm.
Many people complained that it didn't come with a USB cable, but you don't need a USB cable with it, because it's assumed that you'll print over your wireless network
Yes the touch display is not exactly sophisticated, but once you get the hang of it, using the QWERTY keyboard is quite easy. Other people were complaining about how the cartridges and paper jam up - I had no such issues (yet?).
My only problem with this printer is that it's massive, but with double-sided printing, you probably need extra room. I returned this product for the 6600, it's slimmer version, which works just as great. …
- Written by Daniel D from Waterdown
1 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
does this unit scan photos from negatives.
- Asked by Daniel E from Bel Air
- Feb 27, 2012
can i print in to poster size?
- Asked by Massimo C from Watsonville
- Mar 12, 2012
- Answered by Don W from Lafayette
- Oct 27, 2013
Is the HP 8600 Twain compliant?
- Asked by Geoff D from Austin
- Apr 27, 2012
The printer is TWAIN compliant, but the drivers are only in Windows format. You can scan using soft The printer is TWAIN compliant, but the drivers are only in Windows format. You can scan using software like HP Scan (with the driver install), Image Capture (comes with OS X), etc. then open it in Adobe Acrobat for more functions. The format of the Mac drivers is ICA only.
You can check the HP site for the printer to read about the windows only (Can't put link in this field for some reason). …
- Answered by Dax D from Grapevine
- Jun 2, 2013