If you're running out of hard drive capacity and need to archive some important digital documents, photos, videos, or music, this elegant external hard drive is the perfect solution. Its design is reminiscent of a book, which means it fits neatly no matter how limited your space.
Fits right in
Now even smaller, the My Book takes no more space than a paperback book. Collect two or more and they nest neatly together like volumes on a shelf.
WD SmartWare software
A visual control center with a single screen view of all your data from which you can back up, retrieve and secure your files.
Password protection and 256-bit hardware-based encryption safeguards your data from unauthorized access.
Smart, eco-friendly design
Built with an energy-efficient WD hard drive inside, it preserves power by turning itself on and off with your computer. There's also a sleep mode and it's fanless for cool, quiet operation. An illuminated capacity gauge lets you see at a glance how much space is available on your drive.
Our case is designed to provide maximum shock protection to guard your valuable data from bumps and jars of everyday life.
Not only does the My Book come formatted for Mac, it offers complete compatibility with Apple Time Machine. So it's a breeze to schedule automatic backups.
Installation is a snap because you just plug in the power supply and USB 2.0 connector and it's ready to use.
- Compact size to fit in nearly any space
- WD SmartWare lets you see all aspects of drive function in one place
- Drive lock with encryption and password protection
- WD GreenPower Technology uses up to 30% less energy
- Sleep mode and power-saving mechanism
- Fanless for cool, quiet operation
- Fast USB 2.0 interface
- Compatibility with Time Machine
- No-hassle installation
- Sturdy enclosure that resists shocks
Did you notice?Compatibility with Time Machine allows you to connect the drive and set up regular automatic backups in minutes.
Apple Recommends ForProviding extra space to store all the data, music, photos, and videos on your Mac desktop or notebook.
What's in the Box?
- WD My Book for Mac Hard Drive
- WD SmartWare software (pre-loaded)
- USB 2.0 cable
- AC power adapter
- Quick install guide
- Connections : USB 2.0
- Height : 6.5 in./16.51 cm
- Width : 1.9 in./4.83 cm
- Weight : 2.6 lbs./1.18 kg
- Mac OS X v10.4 or later
- Mfr. Part Number : WDBAAG0030HCH-JESN
- UPC or EAN No. : 718037769660
- Note : Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty : One-year limited (For details, please visit http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp#policy.)
Ratings & Reviews
Be careful with OS X Lion
Seems that OS X Lion is having problems with both WD and Seagate external drives. Be sure to check LION compatibility before purch asing. …
- Written by Kristi L T from Modesto
147 of 162 people found this useful
I have had this drive now for a month and have had zero problems, and have had it as a movie storage drive for the home network so it gets used quit a bit and has worked flawlessly! have had it hooked up to my mb pro with lion and have had no problems there either would recommend to anyone. …
- Written by Michael R from North Pole
40 of 45 people found this useful
I bought this for to replace my G technology backup drive that is now filled after 4 years of use with my IMAC- it had no problems in that time but was noisy. The Western Digital 3T My Book is being returned it definitely has some kinds of issues it seems with compatibility. The tech on the phone with me from WD said it had not been tested with the lasted OS software - beware don't waste your time. It could not load the software. …
- Written by Pearl G from Long Beach
34 of 44 people found this useful
I have a iMac ver 10.7.5 1TB and purchased this product to use with time machine. Initially everything worked fine but about 30GB s in to the 400GBs of data it said the drive was disconnected, I tried this multiple times on my desktop and the issue continued to happen, once at 30GB one time at 2GBs and the last time at 55GB, returning the item now looking for something better. …
- Written by Greg H from kingsland
Couldn't Ask for More
Picked the 1TB version up as a replacement to the LaCie Rugged that I purchased with my Mac a while ago that failed shortly after. It has performed far better than I had hoped, has not failed, and isn't even half full after nearly three years of use as a Time Capsule.
I'd highly recommend this in any size, especially over anything LaCie. …
- Written by William B from Wyoming
WB Book Live
This product doesn't work correctly. As soon as I did a Firmware update, I get ERRORS. Now it doesn't work. DO NOT BUY. SUPPORT AL SO IS BAD! …
- Written by Ian G from Lasalle
5 of 6 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
How can I format my 3TB WD My Book for Mac AND Windows??? I've tried using the "MS-DOS(Fat)" but I keep getting a "disk error" after hittin "erase"
- Asked by Clarence D from Brooklyn
- Mar 5, 2013
after i back up my computer using an external hd and time machine can i erase data from my computer?
- Asked by Martha D from Cockeysville
- Mar 9, 2012
No. The whole point of a backup is to have your data in two (or more) locations, so a failure in an y one place does not mean total loss of your data. Furthermore, Time Machine backups will prune the oldest data as the backup drive gets full (always preserving what is needs to reconstitute your internal drive in its current state). So if you back up a folder of music, say, then delete it from your internal drive, that backed-up folder could eventually be pruned.
To move data off your internal drive that you want to keep, you will need a second external drive. Move the data to that, then make sure Time Machine is backing up both the internal and the new external drive to the Time Machine drive.
All hard drives fail--think of them like light bulbs in that respect. And arrange your data management accordingly.
I speak as an independent Mac consultant. …
- Answered by Colleen T from Jackson
- Aug 15, 2012
I am looking for a hard drive that will back-up both my mac files (pics & itunes) and win XP files ms,exc (from parallels on my mac & my PC at work)
- Asked by Kathleen M from Washington
- Jan 20, 2010
yes this drive will work for that
- Answered by Adam P from Oakville
- Jan 28, 2010
- Asked by Sandra M from San Marcos
- Nov 20, 2012
Yes it will definitely will. Even if you buy the drive that is originally designed for windows (as I did), you will only format it once to go with the mac. I did that when I had lion OS, And everything went OK when i upgraded to mountain lion. …
- Answered by Milad G from Mississauga
- Dec 13, 2012
- Asked by Shanly W from Boulder
- Jul 18, 2012
Yes, it is compatible. Apple lists the specifications for the hard drive as:
Mac OS X v.10.4 to v .10.6 or later
You should be fine purchasing this. …
- Answered by Lucien D from San Diego
- Aug 9, 2012
- Asked by Christopher W
- May 25, 2012
Time Capsule. It is a router and an external hard drive.
- Answered by Ryan A from Lewis Center
- Jul 4, 2012