Data Backup 3 is a powerful utility that allows you to back up, restore, and synchronize your valuable data with minimal effort. Whether you're a new computer user or a seasoned professional, Data Backup 3 offers you just the right amount of power, flexibility, and ease-of-use to help you protect your files fast.
You can back up to FireWire and USB drives, network drives, CDs, and even DVDs. Data Backup 3 lets you make schedules so you don't need to think about backing up. It takes care of backups automatically. By separating basic functions from advanced features, Data Backup will save your valuable data with just a few mouse clicks.
- No complicated setup--built-in backup sets to quickly back up your iTunes or iPhoto files, other important data, or your entire system.
- Custom create your own backup sets. Just drag and drop.
- "Fast Start" feature pre-selects the files to be backed up, saving you time (requires OS X v10.4 or later).
- Go back in time and see your files and directories, as they were when your backups happened.
- Schedule your backups to automatically run at a specific time, on a recurring basis, or when a drive is connected.
- Have your Mac automatically wake from sleep to execute scheduled backups.
- Run backups whether you're logged in or not.
- Create a bootable clone of your hard drive.
- Choose to compress and/or password protect your backups.
- Backup to any mounted drive, including FireWire, USB, ATA, or networked.
- Backup to CD/DVD disks automatically span on multiple disks.
- Creates an exact copy of a folder or a drive, including bootable OS X backups.
- Synchronize folders; perfect if you use more than one computer.
- Mac OS x v10.2.4 or later
- PowerPC or Intel Core Duo processor
- Mfr. Part Number: 33100
- UPC or EAN No.: 794038331006
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
Ratings & Reviews
Ok except for encryption
I have been trying for six weeks to get an encrypted backup to work with no success. I have been working with thier customer supp I have been trying for six weeks to get an encrypted backup to work with no success. I have been working with thier customer support, who are very fast and responsive, but to no avail. The problem is it just will not restore from an encrypted backup. If you want to use it for non-encrypted purpses it works fine. …
- Written by Shannon S from Indianapolis
149 of 209 people found this useful
Nice Product and Great Support
I will echo the comments of those below. The product just works. With Time Machine on the Macs it is easy to take backups for gr I will echo the comments of those below. The product just works. With Time Machine on the Macs it is easy to take backups for granted. but hardware still fails. With more and more of our lives stored digitally, do you really want to lose those baby pictures or that sound file of your grandfather telling the family stories? Maybe you can get it back with Time Machine, but an photographer/film maker friend spent almost a week with Apple on the phone recapturing his business works and files over the past ten years. Why not have a external drive and at least a weekly backup? Most of us can lose a week of files (or find them with TM) but years?
And these guys spend enough time on the phone to solve the problem not just "take two reboots and call me in the morning." …
- Written by Jim B from Rockwall
56 of 56 people found this useful
Bugs, bugs and more bugs
I had very little luck with this app. The backup schedules disappear or become damaged, source and destination volumes/folders dis I had very little luck with this app. The backup schedules disappear or become damaged, source and destination volumes/folders disappear and have to be reset every few backups, can't save new scripts most of the time (save script is grayed out), I have to duplicate existing scripts and "save as", can't make "do a full scan" option stick, it would often miss files, often when I tried to re-add a destination after it disappeared it says that the source was already used do I want to read the information? Whether I click yes or no it doesn't add the source, I have to remove the .indeligible (or whatever that's called) using the terminal, then I can re-add the destination. Useless logs on top of that. Really weird GUI and options. After two backup scripts disappeared from the list yesterday I got fed up and I've gone back to Retrospect Express (I wanted a native app and the ability to delete oldest backups). Hopefully Retrospect X will address those. Wasted 60 bucks...
2.66GHz MacPro, 10.5.2, 12GB RAM …
- Written by Adam D from Maspeth
66 of 77 people found this useful
TOTALLY worth it!
I've had this program for over 8 years and it's a piece of cake to use.
AND their customer support is totally on it and responds I've had this program for over 8 years and it's a piece of cake to use.
AND their customer support is totally on it and responds right away if you have any problem.
Who could ask for more?
(How the only button on the interface, which has the words "Start Now" over it, would confuse someone because it has a metallic arrow that points left inside it, is completely beyond me.) …
- Written by Ken J from tempe
BEWARE this does NOTHING for you except steal your money and time!
I don't know where these enthusiastic reviews come from but this is the by far the WORST App I ever had on my MAC and I am working I don't know where these enthusiastic reviews come from but this is the by far the WORST App I ever had on my MAC and I am working with computers since now 30 years.
Unfortunately, I purchased the program because of the many 5 stars reviews.
What is this software able to do at all?
First the usability is a nightmare! Beware this is the oddest scheme I ever seen.
Did a twelve year old program this?
Just one example the Start Arrow button points BACKWARDS to the left.
Well in Western culture this means BACK and not forward to the next step.
I did first a simple copy all task which worked, well you can do this with drag and drop.
So say \folder1 to external hd drive \root
Resulted in source\folder1 and external\folder1
Tried a SYNCHRONIZE task on this backup
Say sync \folder1 to hd external\
You would expect that the soft recognizes that there is a folder1 in the root of external already and compares.
Well what it does is that it copies i.e. your HIDDEN TRASH bin into your external drive and all subfolders WITHOUT the folder1 level.
Great job folks! Why did I specify folder1 for sync then??
Next try select folder1 or a subfolder in the external drive as your destination.
SURPRISE the program does not show you any of your subfolder choices in the menue.
This program is a JOKE and not worth A PENNY. …
- Written by Bernd S from Weidhausen
0 of 2 people found this useful
A great back-up to Time Machine, with awesome support
I wanted something easy to use that would give me what Time Machine delivers together with a bootable copy. It does all of that f I wanted something easy to use that would give me what Time Machine delivers together with a bootable copy. It does all of that for very little cost with email support that is genuinely like phoning through to people in your own IT department to just help you through. Totally stunning value. …
- Written by Gerald E from Bowdon
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Will it work with Lion?
- Asked by Patrick M from Dallas
- Aug 16, 2011
Yes it works with Lion. I've been using this software since Snow Leopard and when I upgraded to Lion Yes it works with Lion. I've been using this software since Snow Leopard and when I upgraded to Lion it still worked. Just make sure you run the updates and you'll be fine. It's a simple and very good program that does exactly what you want and need it to do. Good Luck.
- Answered by John D from Brick
- Aug 26, 2012
Can This App Backup to a Networked Drive with MacBook Pro Early 2011. 2.2GHz i7 quad core 4GB RAM running OSX Snow Leopard version 10.6.8
- Asked by Justin E from Marshfield
- Jun 29, 2011