Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
358 Questions from the Community
Can you transfer backups from an older generation time capsule directly to latest time capsule?
I have one of the last generation Time Capsules that is currently backing up 5 macbook pros, can I transfer those backups directly to the new Time Capsule?
Without having to do a full backup from the individual machines?
- Asked by Anthony W from San Diego
- Oct 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you transfer backups from an older generation time capsule directly to latest time capsule?)
I asked about migration of old backups when migrating from a previous version of Time Capsule. I was told (approx 11/2012) that there was no migration tool available. That leaves either creating totally new backups or dragging existing ones to the new drive. Can take hours.
- Answered by Jeffrey H from Loma Mar
- Dec 16, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you transfer backups from an older generation time capsule directly to latest time capsule?)
Yes, the time capsule is just a router with hard disk storage.
- Answered by Johan R from Shelley
- Mar 24, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do you need a modem)
Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?
- Asked by Ben M from O'connor
- Oct 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?)
Yes. In AirPort Utility go to the Internet tab and click on the dropdown menu that has DHCP selected. Select PPPoE and fill out the form with your ISP's supplied information.
- Answered by Jared B from San Diego
- Nov 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?)
How to install time capsule
Already have a wireless router supplied by Verizon how do I install time capsule?
- Asked by Margaret H from Jamaica
- May 30, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (How to install time capsule)
Can I add a USB drive to Time Capsule and use the combined capacity (of the Time Capsule drive and the attached drive) to backup with Time Machine
No answers yet
Yes, as long as your Apple products are connected to the Airport
- Answered by Michael L from Barrie
- May 31, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can airport time capsule connect with USB printer and turn it to airprint printer)
Does the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) allow USB or Ethernet-connected drive to be used as part of the Time Capsule functionality?
Would like to explore connecting a USB-drive-enclosure and/or an Ethernet-drive-enclosure to allow more backup space to be available to users on my home network. Even if this would supercede the internal drive, I would find it preferable to other options like SLUG or FreeNAS which can be cheaper but potentially less-reliable.
For example, an Ethernet-capable NAS of, say, 10TB could be connected to one of the Gigabit ports, but would the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) recognize it as an extension of the internal storage, and therefore part of the Time Capsule storage media used for native Mac backups?
If there's not a way to do that, how arduous or risky is it to move the existing backups from the Time Capsule's internal drive to an external drive (ex: Ethernet-connected NAS) to free-up space on the 2TB/3TB internal drive, without corrupting the contents of that internal drive? Is there a way to initiate the move from within the Time Capsule itself, and thereby avoiding downloading/uploading all of that content over-the-network (to/from the PC) unnecessarily?
- Asked by Harlan H from Mequon
- Jun 14, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) allow USB or Ethernet-connected drive to be used as part of the Time Capsule functionality?)
Can I back up an externally connected disk?
If I connect an external disk to the TC via USB, can I backup that external disk to the TC? Specifically, I am trying to store my iPhoto library on the external disk so that multiple computers can share that one library and then have that one library be backed up to TC. Thanks!
- Asked by Sajid A from Fulton
- Sep 2, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I back up an externally connected disk?)
I believe that in the Time Machine backup options, your external drives (connected to your Mac) are by default excluded but you can go and remove the exclusion, in the same way you can add them if you do not want to backup some work directory that has a great deal of updates that would fill up your backup disk.
- Answered by Frederic L
- Oct 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I back up an externally connected disk?)
Not tiger but yes to snow leopard.
The older devices will connect to the slow bandwidths if signal
- Answered by Daniel H from Brisbane
- Apr 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work with a 2007 MacBook running Tiger or Leopard?)
is Radio output power: 32.5 dBm safe to use in a child's bedroom. 32.5dBm is the power output of a class1 3G mobile phone.
Multiple WAN addresses
My ISP allowed me a /30 subnet, so I can use multiple static IPs.
Is it possible to configure the WAN interface on this Airport capsule with multiple IP adresses ?
- Asked by Thierry M from Longueuill
- Feb 27, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Multiple WAN addresses)
Does the Airport/Time Capsule Support Remote Access from the Internet. DDNS, Dynamic DNS, Wide area Bonjour,
Hi, I have seen others ask questions on DDNS - I am not so worried about DDNS specifically (although this would seem the most sensible way to support this capability).
Is there ANY way from the device itself? (not a Mac, PC or something else sat behind it) to allow remote connection from the internet back into the device. For instance to remote access the time capsule, access a device such as an IP Camera etc. I do not have a static IP address fomr my ISP so I need some way to broadcast this via a dynamic DNS service or other method that you can provide, but it needs to be form the router as I do not have a Mac or PC or other device permanently left 'on' behind the Airport.
- Asked by Neil G from Winter Park
- Jun 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport/Time Capsule Support Remote Access from the Internet. DDNS, Dynamic DNS, Wide area Bonjour,)
Will the 2TB airport time capsule work in both he uk and us? i spend a lot of time in both and would like to muse in both locations?
Can I get Access from anywhere like the WD Cloud storage
I travel out of county and need to access things and store photos and documents can I do this remotely with the time cap like the WD cloud storage
- Asked by James C S from Clearwater
- Mar 31, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I get Access from anywhere like the WD Cloud storage)
how does it work with i tunes ? is it seamless
- Asked by Andrew W from Bonbeach
- Apr 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (how does it work with i tunes ? is it seamless)
Will the new airport have settings for DDNS survive or support it ?
- Asked by Brian P from Soquel
- Jun 16, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the new airport have settings for DDNS survive or support it ?)