Questions & Answers for Rechargeable Battery - 15-inch MacBook Pro
150 Questions from the Community
I purchased a battery replacement at the Apple store for my MacBook Pro and was wondering if there was somewhere I could send the old dead battery for recycling. Does the Apple store accept old MacBook Pro Apple batteries?
- Asked by Barbara D from Trappe
- Feb 5, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (recycle battery)
Is this the Sony ASMB012, please?
Battery for 15" aluminum MacBook Pro, NOT unibody
- Asked by Phyllis E from Cold Lake
- Feb 24, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this the Sony ASMB012, please?)
Is it compatible with a 17" macbook pro of 2011?
- Asked by Bhushan S from Salisbury
- Jan 29, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it compatible with a 17" macbook pro of 2011?)
Absolutely not...look at the installation instructions...this battery installs in a hole in the bottom of older macbook pros...there is NO hole in the bottom of a 2011 macbook pro....
- Answered by D A Steve G from Miramonte
- Feb 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it compatible with a 17" macbook pro of 2011?)
Will this battery replace A1175
Mac book pro 15"
- Asked by Jay L from Midway City
- Sep 5, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this battery replace A1175)
This battery is compatibble with the model A1189?
MacBook Pro 17" inch model number A1229, model of battery A1189
- Asked by Maurin S
- May 11, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (This battery is compatibble with the model A1189?)
My present battery is an ASMB012. Will this be a suitable replacement?
- Asked by Sarah P from Moncton
- Dec 7, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (My present battery is an ASMB012. Will this be a suitable replacement?)
Is this for the MA897LL/A model?
Is this for the MA897LL/A model?
- Asked by Daniel D
- Jan 17, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this for the MA897LL/A model?)
I found below opinion from a apple-forum. It might help you.
MA348LL/A and A1175 are the same thing. MA348LL/A is the Apple part number (aka order number), A1175 is the Model Number of the battery. So, if you order MA348LL/A and actually look at the printing on the battery, you'll see Model A1175 on there.
If you're referring to the batteries available on Amazon, check one of the reviews for the less expensive A1175 item:
When they say 'original' Apple laptop battery they mean that literally. The battery I received had a serial number ending in U7SB - one of the orginal MacBook Pro battery packs manufactured between February 2006 and May 2006. These batteries were found to be defective and are subject to an Apple product recall. Fortunately, with some persuasion, I was able to convince the local Apple store to exchange the battery pack for an updated one. The Apple battery recall website will not validate you for an exchange unless you have a MacBook Pro with an early serial number.
One of the risks of buying batteries from 3rd party vendors is getting old stock. For some things (e.g. a power adapter) that's not much of an issue. But lithium-based batteries have a useful life of 400-500 charge cycles or 3-4 years - whichever comes first. Shelf life counts against that time - there's a continuous chemical reaction occurring in the battery, and buildup of oxidation products - and the latter is actually worse if the battery is not being used. So, if you buy a battery that was made 2 years ago, you can expect to get 1-2 years of use from it (probably closer to 1), not 3-4.
My advice - get the more expensive one, or even pay the extra $10 and buy direct from Apple (it's not necessarily $10 more, since Apple offers free shipping and the 3d party vendors on Amazon who charge less than Apple may charge for shipping).
Hope this helps...
- Answered by Yongjin P from Chicago
- Jan 27, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this for the MA897LL/A model?)
will this replace battery A1189
- Asked by Robert F from Agoura Hills
- May 4, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (will this replace battery A1189)
does the new macbook pro battery work with the old macbook pro battery
they really should list the models that the battery works with
- Asked by Wayne C from Demarest
- Nov 8, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (does the new macbook pro battery work with the old macbook pro battery)
There are many models all with differences, first identify the model (there are many web sources however I can't provide a link for in this forum) once you know the model use Mac tracker to find out information such as battery model # (IE MA348G/A), I believe this battery only fits the original MacBook Pro and the MacBook Pro (15 Inch Glossy)
- Answered by Roger K from Charters Settlement
- Mar 31, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does the new macbook pro battery work with the old macbook pro battery)
is there a long-lasting replacement battery for the MacBookPro2,2?
- Asked by Manfredi A from Dublin
- Nov 26, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (is there a long-lasting replacement battery for the MacBookPro2,2?)
My MacBook Pro 17" was purchased in 2007. Is this battery compatible?
The original battery in my 17" MacBook Pro has died. I purchased this computer in 2007. What replacement battery should I buy?
- Asked by Julie S from Jersey City
- Jul 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (My MacBook Pro 17" was purchased in 2007. Is this battery compatible?)
What battery should I use for my Powerbook G4 17 inch
- Asked by Dianne M from Santa Fe
- Dec 27, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (What battery should I use for my Powerbook G4 17 inch)
which battery is for a late 2008 model?
Does it have a model number/code?
- Asked by Samantha W from Dutton Park
- Aug 5, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (which battery is for a late 2008 model?)
what battery do I need for the A1226?
I just bought the MBP 17" rechargeable battery, but it doesn't fit my 2007 model (A1226). What battery do I need?
- Asked by Chloe T from Columbus
- Apr 14, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (what battery do I need for the A1226?)