Is there a technical or actual difference between this dock and the 5c dock?
- Asked by Alexander M from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a technical or actual difference between this dock and the 5c dock?)
8 Answers from the Community
Technical differences, no. Same connector. Actual difference is the hole where the iPhone is placed. If you look at the top down pictures of each dock, the 5c dock has all four corners of the hole rounded while 5s has two sharp corners and two round corners. They are different because of the shape difference of the 5c and the 5s.
- Answered by Ivan C from West Covina
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The only difference between the two is the shape of the space for the iPhone. The 5C dock is more rounded than the 5S. If you want a dock that fits any iPhone with or without a case try The Lightning Dock.
- Answered by Martin L from Wilmington
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Technical wise, no it is exactly the same lightning connector used for the iPhone 5C dock.
However, actual difference is the fact that the 5S is the same shape as the iPhone 5, the iPhone 5C on the other hand is a completely new shape.
This is why they have released two versions of the docks, a 5C will not fit in this dock and a 5S will not fit in the 5C dock.
- Answered by Steven R from Leeds
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
The 5c is wider and thicker than the 5s, (see the apple.com and look at the tech specs pages), so while the 5s may fit in the 5c dock the likewise is almost certainly not so.
- Answered by Patrick Q from Glebe
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Looking at the last picture of each; YES. There IS a difference. The shape of the recessed hole is different to support the different shapes of each phone;
- Answered by Christopher L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
If you open the product pages for each doc in separate tabs in your browser then flick between them, you can clearly see the slot in the dock is a different shape on each.
- Answered by Luke S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
There is indeed a very subtle differences in the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c dock. Both docks are designed to optimally cradle the iPhone for which they are designed. On a side note, I'd like to say that both docks do connect via Lightning and provide a line out for audio.
As the iPhone 5c is bulkier than the iPhone 5s, I could imagine the 5s fitting into the 5c dock. However, I cannot guarantee it will fit, nor can I guarantee an iPhone 5s not suffer any damage as a result of using the 5c dock.
Hope I helped!
- Answered by James C from Kayenta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 7
The iPhone 5c has larger dimensions than the 5s. I don't imagine there is a technical difference between the two docks other than the 5c dock's cradle is wider to fit the wider iPhone 5c.
- Answered by Cameron P from Spanish Fork
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 8
what is the difference between the 5s and 5c docks
- Asked by Austin W from Fort Worth
- Nov 15, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the difference between the 5s and 5c docks)
- Asked about: iPhone 5c Dock
Does it fit into the 5c dock?
- Asked by Lynn M from Melbourne
- Sep 24, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it fit into the 5c dock?)
- Asked about: Tech21 Impact Mesh Case (Drop Prote…
No answers yet
Will this work with IPhone 5C with Case?
- Asked by Mark L from Oswego
- Sep 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with IPhone 5C with Case?)
- Asked about: Belkin Charge + Sync Dock for iPhon…