Can I use an AirPort Express to extend my existing wifi signal?
- Asked by Jason K from New Canaan
- Jun 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use an AirPort Express to extend my existing wifi signal?)
4 Answers from the Community
Yes, I just finished doing it about 5 minutes ago! I bought an AirPort Extreme and installed it as my WiFi network using the AirPort Utility on my MacBook Pro. Then I plugged in my Airport Express to a power socket upstairs at the other end of my house where I lose signal. The AirPort utility on my MacBook Pro recognized the Express and asked me if I wanted to use the Express to extend my existing network. I clicked yes...done! The whole thing took less than 10 minutes.
- Answered by Cameron G from Rogers
- Nov 12, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes you can. This will be the default action setup takes if there is an existing airport WIFI network.
- Answered by Arthur B from Boise
- Sep 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
There are a lot of "Yes" answers here, but I had no success what so ever trying to extend a Billion router with the Airport Express, so do your research. I think that there will be many brands of equipment that are not compatible.
The Airport extreme will connect with any equipment, but that is not the same as extending the wifi coverage of that equipment. If you need it for streaming music or connecting a printer or other such use cases then it should be fine as it will join the existing network, but using it to extend the coverage of non Apple wifi equipment seems tricky. In my case attempts consistently bricked the Airport Express which then required a hardware reset to bring it back to life.
Extending wifi coverage is a common use case these days with access required throughout the house and I think that Apple's listing for this unit should explicitly detail what will and will not work when you use it to extend wifi coverage of non Apple equipment.
I now have two units which are expensive adapters to make a set of wireless speakers. Not what I really had in mind.
- Answered by Eric B from Ballajura
- Nov 22, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
- Answered by Hayden P from Saskatoon
- Jun 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
how do I extend my signal with 2 airport expresses?
- Asked by Ann M from Montreal
- Jun 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (how do I extend my signal with 2 airport expresses?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
I have a Time capsule 2TB. Can I extend my Wifi in my home with a airport express using the same wifi signal?
- Asked by Christopher A from Lititz
- Aug 21, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Time capsule 2TB. Can I extend my Wifi in my home with a airport express using the same wifi signal?)
- Asked about: Mac
Can I use Airport Express as router connected to modem and Time Capsule to extend wifi? Is that a sate of Time Capsule's capabilities?
- Asked by Raul C from San Francisco
- Oct 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Express as router connected to modem and Time Capsule to extend wifi? Is that a sate of Time Capsule's capabilities?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB