does the bluetooth connectivity work through walls?
- Asked by Alex N from Briarcliff Manor
- Apr 5, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (does the bluetooth connectivity work through walls?)
3 Answers from the Community
Short answer: Very doubtful.
Long answer: Due to the specified power consumption in the bluetooth specifications, the transmitters have a VERY limited range. Class 3 bluetooth devices are only allowed 1 mW of power, translating to 0 db, and a range of about 3 feet. Class 2 Devices are limited to 2.5 mW, with a range around 30 feet. Class 1 devices are the exception, but this mouse is not using 100 mW to transmit, I'm sure. If it were, It might have a range of 300 ft. Real-world range is affected by many things, including interference (caused by other devices and reflected RF). The sensitivity of the receivers seems to be adequate, but I doubt you'll get a reliable connection from 30 feet, much less through a wall.
- Answered by Jeffery H from Copperas Cove
- Apr 9, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
To Antony B - Could be that the OP wanted to use his computer (MacBook, Mini, whatever) as a media center, hidden out of sight in an enclosed equipment cabinet or on a rack in another room. Then he would use wireless mouse and keyboard to control that computer remotely.
- Answered by Joseph L from Hillsborough
- Dec 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
umm...this might seem like a daft question, but why will you need your mighty mouse bluetooth connectivity to work through a wall? Surely you'll be sat in viewing distance to the computer/monitor anyway?
Through a wall suggests you'd use your mouse in a different room. Have i missed something...?
- Answered by Antony B
- Sep 24, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
At what distance in practice does this work at and does Bluetooth work through walls floors and ceilings?
- Asked by Peter B
- Jan 9, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (At what distance in practice does this work at and does Bluetooth work through walls floors and ceilings?)
- Asked about: Apple Wireless Keyboard - English
Do you have to connect Apple TV to the wall
- Asked by Courtney L from Gold Coast
- May 28, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you have to connect Apple TV to the wall)
- Asked about: Apple TV