I'm considering buying the product below as a hard drive to store and access files, can 2 imac's share the same external hard drive at the same time
G-Technology 2TB G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive
2 Answers from the Community
If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect and use the drive from another iMac. You can't typically access the same files simultaneously e.g. iPhoto.
- Answered by Gerald B from Lower Sackville
- Nov 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
As is, no for this you need a NAS drive (Network Attached Storage) and then access the one drive via ethernet or wireless. Having said that, many routers have a USB port that can accommodate an external HDD which then can be accessed via the network.
You'll want to make sure that the router supports USB 3 though, otherwise this drive wont live up to its potential.
- Answered by Sam M from Northgate
- Oct 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does an external hard drive plugged into the AirPort Time Capsule shut off when not being accessed?
- Asked by Galen H from New York
- Jan 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does an external hard drive plugged into the AirPort Time Capsule shut off when not being accessed?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
Can this be connected to two iMacs at the same time?
- Asked by Maria C from Saint Louis
- Sep 16, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be connected to two iMacs at the same time?)
- Asked about: ioSafe 3TB Solo G3 Fireproof/Waterp…