Can I Airplay Dolby 5.1 from Apple TV to my Airport Express connected to a 5.1 reciever?
- Asked by Neal B from Grantham
- Apr 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I Airplay Dolby 5.1 from Apple TV to my Airport Express connected to a 5.1 reciever?)
2 Answers from the Community
This is exactly what I want to do. I don't think it's possible. You can now set the Apple TV to send sound output to one or more sets of Airplay speakers - that would include speakers (or an AV receiver) connected to an Airport Express via a toslink cable. HOWEVER, the Apple TV will only stream stereo (2 channel) in this way. So, fine if you want to use the Apple TV to navigate your iTunes collection and stream music to the receiver, but useless for wirelessly streaming the 5.1 audio from movies or TV shows you are watching on Apple TV. If someone knows differently I'd love to hear about it. Hopefully Apple will update at some point and include this functionality.
- Answered by Euan R from Brooklyn
- May 16, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
AirPlay is redirecting output from a device to a different output device. Apple TV is an output device that receives the signal. That I am aware of, you can't use AirPlay to send content FROM the Apple TV.
- Answered by Thomas S from Bartlett
- Apr 24, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
dolby digital will it play on netflix with apple tv with 5.1 sound system
- Asked by Michael C from Westlake Village
- Apr 11, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (dolby digital will it play on netflix with apple tv with 5.1 sound system)