Nest Protect: Smoke + Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm and its companion app on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch make safety easy - and decidedly less annoying. Nest Protect speaks up to tell you what the problem is and where it is. It will even message your iPhone when the alarm goes off or the batteries run low. And you can check on things at any time with the Nest app.
Nest Protect can also see the carbon monoxide you can't. Or if there's only a little smoke from just burning the toast, it gives you a friendly heads-up. It also gives you peace of mind by testing itself constantly and showing you everything's working with a quick green glow when you turn off the lights.
- Connect Nest Protect to Wi-Fi and it will send a message to your iPhone if the alarm goes off or the batteries run low
- Speaks up to tell you if there's smoke or CO and tells you where the problem is so you know what to do
- When there's CO, Nest Protect tells you where it's hiding
- Nightly Promise function tests Nest Protect's sensors and batteries and lets you know it's working with a quick green glow at night
- Silence the chirp of low batteries—Nest Protect shows you they're good before you doze off
- Heads-Up delivers a friendly alert so you can handle burning toast before a piercing alarm goes off
- Sends a message to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if the alarm goes off or if batteries run low
- Prepare for an emergency with the What To Do feature; enter an emergency contact and if something goes wrong, you've got a plan
- When one Nest Protect senses trouble, it tells the others and they all speak up at the same time—even if Wi-Fi is down
Did you notice?Nest speaks up to tell you if there's smoke or CO and lets you know where CO is located.
Apple Recommends ForKeeping safe from smoke and carbon monoxide with alarms and alerts sent to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
What's in the Box?
- Nest Protect: Smoke + Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm
- 6 long-life batteries designed for multi-year operation (Battery-powered model); 3 long-life backup batteries (AC-powered model)
- Four screws
- User's guide and welcome guide
- Three wire nuts ((AC-powered model)
- AC 230V connector (AC-powered model)
- Height: 4.1 cm/1.61 in.
- Width: 13.4 cm/5.28 in.
- Weight: 352 g
- Length: 13.4 cm/5.28 in.
- Mfr. Part Number: S2001BW
- UPC or EAN No.: 854448003402
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Two-year limited hardware warranty
Connect to your Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm from one place - the Nest app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. You can adjust the temperature on your Nest Thermostat from anywhere and get notifications for important events, like Heads-Up and Emergency Alarm.
1-800-MY-APPLE or Chat now
Ratings & Reviews
Do not buy.
I bought four of these when they came out since I loved my nest thermostats. Two of them have been replaced because they had false I bought four of these when they came out since I loved my nest thermostats. Two of them have been replaced because they had false alarms (the only way to stop them from sounding was to rip out the batteries because wave is disabled and button push doesn't do anything. Wasn't this one of the main reason I bought these things?!). And then, even more importantly, one of them DIDN'T ALARM when the damper on my fireplace froze and the room filled up wih smoke! Honestly, I think these things need to be recalled until they are proven to work. Nest has gotten in way over their head on this. If you're actually concerned about safety, DO NOT BUY one of these. There are many less expensive, more reliable options. I would get my money back if I could.
Side note, by suspending sales for a bit of the protect, nest was cleverly able to remove this amazon listing in spring 2014, hence removing all the prior negative reviews. So the high rating here is not an accurate representation of the customer satisfaction.. There we're TONS of negative reviews before. What a joke.
UPDATE: I've had yet another false alarm here. So that's 4 nest protects... 3 false alarms, and 1 time there was no alarm at all with smoke present! I've had 3 replacements units so far, and now one of the replacements is having false alarms. These don't seem to work, AT ALL for me. I think there should be a class action lawsuit with these. Wow, just wow. …
- Written by Lou T from Woodstock
66 of 76 people found this useful
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! NOT READY YET
I bought 3 of these for my home and had a false alarm at 1 am that would not allow me to "hush" it. I had them replaced and now o I bought 3 of these for my home and had a false alarm at 1 am that would not allow me to "hush" it. I had them replaced and now one month later, the replacements had the same issue. Just finished filling out the return paperwork for a credit back.
Sorry that these things don't work as advertised. I really like the concept but obviously there is still some kinks to figure out. …
- Written by Erik O from Portland
44 of 47 people found this useful
Smoke alarm looks great. But more importantly, it works like a charm. Had it for several months. Burned food for the first time th Smoke alarm looks great. But more importantly, it works like a charm. Had it for several months. Burned food for the first time this week, and it politely told me there was smoke, but not enough smoke for it to go off in a full panic loud mode. Would buy more if I lived in a bigger place that warranted more detectors. Would, and have, recommended the alarm to friends and family. …
- Written by Gary B from Calgary
25 of 29 people found this useful
I am having a tough time understanding why there are so many horrible reviews.
I have one in my kitchen because my old detector k I am having a tough time understanding why there are so many horrible reviews.
I have one in my kitchen because my old detector kept going off just by opening the oven. So far, the Nest has worked great. No false alarms either. I recommend this product for sure. …
- Written by Justin S from Ottawa
4 of 4 people found this useful
Do not buy! $100? common, for not working?
I bought a battery powered Nest protect, never was able to upgrade via interned
and could no see the history as well. After spen I bought a battery powered Nest protect, never was able to upgrade via interned
and could no see the history as well. After spending hours on the phone with
Nest support, they sent me another unit which act the same like first one.
Spent more hours on the phone with Nest support, they begin to ask me about
my routers, ISP provider, put me to run speed test, reset the unit, canceled from
my account, added again, bla bla, they want to send me
another unit which I refuse since they could not send me an upgraded one.
If you want to save your money and your time, do not by, at least not till they
will solve the issues. …
- Written by Florentin P from Santa Maria
3 of 4 people found this useful
nest protect garbage
got to work and got a smoke in living room alarm drove back home to a false alarm and unable to hush... my dog still wont come bac got to work and got a smoke in living room alarm drove back home to a false alarm and unable to hush... my dog still wont come back into the room..
nice quality control nest! thanks …
- Written by Jason P from Saskatoon
4 of 5 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
can you have the alarm in your parents home but use the app in your home on different wifi
- Asked by Karl E
- Feb 19, 2015
What is the return policy and time frame?
- Asked by Christopher B from Chicago
- Mar 8, 2015
Connect 1 nest protect with 2 separate iPhones in the same household, using the same wifi network?
- Asked by Timothy P from Richmond
- Oct 22, 2014
Does the nest protect require nest thermostat?
- Asked by Matthew S from Charlotte
- Jul 1, 2014
No, it is not required. The NEST Protect will function fully on its own, including connecting to you No, it is not required. The NEST Protect will function fully on its own, including connecting to your smartphone app. If you have more than one NEST Protect unit in the house, they can 'talk' to each other, so that if an alarm goes off on one (i.e. the basement) and your somewhere else (i.e. upstairs) all the units will warn you of the fire/CO alarm.
Though if you DO have both the NEST thermostat and the Protect, they can 'talk' to each other to improve some functionality of the thermostat. i.e.: The sensors on the NEST Protect will report your presence in the house to the thermostat to help improve the auto away feature. Also, if a NEST Protect detects Carbon Monoxide, it will tell the thermostat, which will then shut down your furnace in case it's coming from there. …
- Answered by Rick K from Nepean
- Jul 24, 2014
Can you make the alarm go off from your iPhone?
- Asked by Chris B
- Dec 4, 2014
No. To perform a test of the alarm functions i.e. smoke or carbon monoxide detection, you need to pr No. To perform a test of the alarm functions i.e. smoke or carbon monoxide detection, you need to press the button in the centre. It cannot be remotely activated. The iPhone app will show status of last test and whether everything is working properly, as well as receive notification of any detection/activation from the Nest. …
- Answered by Richard B
- Dec 7, 2014
Is this a photoelectric or ionization smoke detector?
- Asked by John V from Louisville
- Mar 1, 2015