Automatic Car Adapter links to your car's onboard computer with the connected apps and your iPhone GPS and data plan to give you a better driving experience. Just plug the Automatic LInk Car Adapter into your car's standard data port, typically located under the steering wheel. Connect the Link to the free Automatic iOS app through Bluetooth. No tools required. Your car and iPhone will connect whenever you drive — wirelessly. Automatic is compatible with most gasoline cars manufactured since 1996. Go here to check if it will work with yours.
Drive smarter and save
Using Automatic, you can save up to 30% on gas or $800 per year (based on the average American driver) by learning to make small changes in your driving through real-time audio driving feedback. Know how much you’re spending on gas, your miles-per-gallon versus your car’s EPA rating and more. Compare your drive score with friends and family and see who’s a more careful driver.
24/7 emergency crash response
Protect your loved ones who drive. The Automatic car adapter can detect serious crashes and then alert Automatic’s call center to send emergency services to the location of the crash and notify emergency contacts.
Be empowered at the car mechanic
Diagnose your check engine light when it comes on, and clear it directly from the app if it’s something you can fix yourself, like a loose gas cap. If it’s serious, Automatic will tell you, and you can find nearby mechanics directly in the app.
Have a teen driver?
License+ is a new service for teen drivers and parents. Coach your teen to safe driving: set goals together, stay in touch, and reward progress. Parents can evaluate progress through a web dashboard and weekly emails. No need to be a backseat driver.
Never again forget where you parked
Automatic always remembers where you parked, so you don’t have to. You can also get walking directions back to your car.
Connect your car to the Internet of Things
A few examples: Have your car send an automatic text message to your significant other when you're heading home from work. Or automatically turn up your home thermostat when you leave the office.
Unlock special features in select vehicles
For example, add Siri to most Ford Sync-equipped vehicles. Automatic helps you keep your eyes on the road by wirelessly connecting Ford SYNC with your iPhone to activate SYNC or Siri right from the steering wheel. You can also access customized IFTTT recipes through the SYNC button.
Analyze your data through Web Dashboard
Analyze and see trends in your driving data through Automatic’s Web Dashboard. Go here to try a demo of this tool.
- Automatically connect to your car with your iPhone whenever you drive
- See every trip you take in a timeline and learn about your driving habits
- Driving tips help you save hundreds on gas every year
- Find out exactly what your car's "check engine" light means
- Automatically tell your iPhone where your car is parked after every trip
- Share your car's parked location with friends and family
- Free Automatic app for your iPhone
- 24/7 emergency crash response, notify your loved ones if you're in a crash
- Analyze your driving data through the Web Dashboard
- License+ teen driver training program
Did you notice?Plugs into the standard data port in your car (almost every car after 1996) and transmits information wirelessly to your iPhone.
Apple Recommends ForCoaching teen drivers, diagnosing the check engine light, saving on gas, analyzing your driving data, and improving overall car safety using the Link adapter, app, and your iPhone.
What's in the Box?
- Automatic Link Car Adapter
- Automatic sticker
- Quick start guide
- Eco-friendly packaging that turns into a travel cup after you remove the Link
- Other Features: Bluetooth
- Height: 1.96 in./5 cm
- Width: 0.78 in./2 cm
- Weight: 2.6 oz./73.71 g
- Length: 1.65 in./4.2 cm
- Mfr. Part Number: RL-10001-0A
- UPC or EAN No.: 850018005012
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- *Crash Alert only works in the U.S. In a crash, it requires an adequate location (GPS) signal, connection to the Link, and cellular data connection. It cannot contact local authorities or emergency contacts if your Link or iPhone is damaged or disconnected by the crash. The reliability of local emergency services can vary. Automatic cannot guarantee local emergency services will respond to a Crash Alert.
Automatic turns just about any car into a connected car. Save hundreds on gas, repairs, and even tickets. All you need is the Automatic connected car adapter ($99) available at automatic.com.
• Learn fuel-saving driving habits to save hundreds per year
• See what that check engine light means without a trip to the mechanic
• Track your car's fuel level and set custom low-fuel warnings
• Never forget where you parked
• Get free emergency help in a crash
For the new driver:
License+ is part of Automatic and helps newly licensed drivers master driving with the support of a coach!
• Complete 100 hours of coached driving with a score of 70 or higher to earn a License+ medal.
• Earn badges to show off specific driving skills like smooth braking or highway driving.
• Invite someone to be your coach, like a parent, to provide support and share progress.
• License+ drivers have access to key Automatic features, including Crash Alert and parking locator. …
Ratings & Reviews
I think this is a great product....when it works. The problem I keep having is the Link and the App do not sync unless I manually I think this is a great product....when it works. The problem I keep having is the Link and the App do not sync unless I manually go into the app after I stop my trip. I leave the app going in the background, and I can tell that the Link is working fine whenever I break too hard or speed up to quickly. I think after a few more updates, it will be a great product. …
- Written by Joshua S from Cookeville
242 of 264 people found this useful
Great idea, with room for improvements
This is a great idea and there is a lot of potential here however the product is not quite 'there' yet.
The install process for This is a great idea and there is a lot of potential here however the product is not quite 'there' yet.
The install process for me was a bit kludgy and I had to re-insert the device to my car OBD II port a few times before it could be recognized by the app. Then, it still would not work right until I restarted my iPhone. Further, in the app, there is supposed to be a crash report feature where you can set it up to notify someone of your choosing in case of an accident, however that feature is no where to be found within the app!
This app will read any fault codes output by your vehicle and tell you what is wrong. It will also let you turn off the 'check engine' light. I have not had any car trouble yet so I haven't had a chance to try this aspect of the device and app.
One feature that is very clearly missing from the app however is the ability to use it as a standard OBD II terminal for advanced programming of vehicle options. My Toyota Prius for example, allows one to program disabling of reverse beeping by entering in some coding when connected to the OBD II port using a text terminal. But, Automatic doesn't allow for this functionality.
I believe this platform has a lot of potential for improvement and am excited to see that they (and third party developers) are able to accomplish with it in the future. I would like display of more real time engine information like RPM, temperature, etc. As it is now, the app is basically meant to not display anything while you drive and only calculates a report for you after you turn off the car.
And because of the fact that my car already gives me most all of the MPG and driving feedback built-in, this add on is not as useful to me than it would be to someone who has a car that doesn't already have these features built-in. …
- Written by Tristan T from RICHMOND
177 of 202 people found this useful
Perfect example of iPhone's power
This app has allowed me to track and budget for gas, as well as be more aware of how I'm driving. I love the beeps when I accelera This app has allowed me to track and budget for gas, as well as be more aware of how I'm driving. I love the beeps when I accelerate too hard. I just bought a new car, and this product has helped me adjust to driving it. Pairing was a little difficult, but it's flawless now. …
- Written by Daniel S from Matthews
156 of 176 people found this useful
Great product and works great with my vehicle!
To help you get a picture on how I use Automatic, here's a little about what I use and drive.
I drive a 1999 Honda CR-V LX with To help you get a picture on how I use Automatic, here's a little about what I use and drive.
I drive a 1999 Honda CR-V LX with 2WD and I use Automatic with my iPhone 5s (A1533).
I have been using Automatic for roughly 6 months now and I have seen a tremendous drop in the number of fill-ups I have to make and it is a great way of keeping track of your driving records. With the Automatic app, you're able to see where you have gone (using your phone's GPS signal), an estimate as to how much gas you use, and engine code reader is unmatched! Many of the OBD-2 readers out there require you to subscribe to their services to be able to decode what is exactly wrong with your stubborn check engine light. It's about my time to service my catalytic converter on the CR-V and it gives a clear and concise display with the engine code, what the code description is, and a little tidbit of information as to how it affects your vehicle and, potentially, your MPGs.
It's a great product! With these times of finding corners to cut from our monthly budgets, Automatic has really saved me an extra 3-5 extra MPGs during my weekly trips and roughly an extra hundred dollars on gas! I highly recommend Automatic! …
- Written by John G from Evans
Good Idea, very bad implementation.
This product would be good if it actually worked. If you buy this you will be very frustrated with trying to get it to connect wit This product would be good if it actually worked. If you buy this you will be very frustrated with trying to get it to connect with your phone. Even their web site acknowledges the problems (which they blame on Apple). You will need to constantly restart the app, toggle Bluetooth on & off, re-plug in the device and restart you phone. Its just not worth the effort. …
- Written by Merchon C from MERRIMACK
3 of 3 people found this useful
It's Not "Automatic"
I often have to unplug the unit from the car data port to restore connectivity. They should pay me to be a beta tester!
- Written by Lyle S from Costa Mesa
3 of 3 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
How much data will be used on an iPhone using maps and the automatic
- Asked by Gary B from Dodge City
- Jul 2, 2014
The Automatic app uses about 10-15Mb per month.
- Answered by Thomas W from San Francisco
- Jul 11, 2014
would I be able to set maintenance reminders based on milage?
- Asked by Roberto G from Orange
- Oct 21, 2014
Maintenance reminders aren't available at this time, but they're coming in a future update. Some peo Maintenance reminders aren't available at this time, but they're coming in a future update. Some people have taken advantage of the IFTTT integration as a workaround though. There are several IFTTT recipes that can keep track of your overall mileage. You can find more information in the customer community as well. …
- Answered by Thomas W from San Francisco
- Oct 23, 2014
Can Automatic track where my car is parked in a multi-story carpark?
- Asked by Ng S
- Apr 10, 2014
Not really. The vertical GPS data isn't very accurate.
- Answered by Amy M from San Francisco
- Sep 9, 2014