Nest Protect: Smoke + Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm and its companion app on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch make safety easy—and decidedly less annoying. Nest Protect speaks with a human voice, telling you where and what the danger is, and gives you a friendly Heads-Up before turning on a loud alarm. There's also a Voice Alarm to help wake up kids, since it's not uncommon for them to sleep through beeping alarms. And all it takes to quiet the alarm is a wave of your hands—no more swinging towels or brooms. Nest Protect even sends a message wirelessly to your iOS device when its batteries run low.
- Nest Wave lets you silence alerts with the wave of a hand—no more swinging brooms or towels
- Heads-Up delivers a friendly alert so you can handle burning toast before a piercing alarm goes off
- Sends a message to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if the alarm goes off or if batteries run low
- Nightly Promise function tests Nest Protect's sensors and batteries and lets you know it's working with a quick green glow at night
- Silence the chirp of low batteries—Nest Protect shows you its batteries are good before you doze off
- Since children can sleep through beeping alarms, Voice Alarms activate in addition to sound alarms to help kids wake up and avoid danger
Did you notice?Silence alerts by simply waving your hands—no more swinging brooms or towels.
Apple Recommends ForKeep safe with voice and sound alarms and alerts to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
What's in the Box?
- Nest Protect: Smoke + Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm
- 6 long-life batteries designed for multi-year operation (Battery-powered model); 3 long-life backup batteries (AC-powered model)
- Four screws
- User's guide and welcome guide
- Other Features: Bluetooth
- Power: AA batteries for battery-powered model; 120V AC for wired model
- Power Source: Battery Power
- Height: 1.61 in./4.1 cm
- Width: 5.28 in./13.4 cm
- Weight: 12.42 oz./352 g
- Length: 5.28 in./13.4 cm
- Mfr. Part Number: S1001BW
- UPC or EAN No.: 854448003105
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Two-year limited hardware warranty
Connect to your Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm from one place - the Nest app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. You can adjust the temperature on your Nest Thermostat from anywhere and get notifications for important events, like Heads-Up and Emergency Alarm.
1-800-MY-APPLE or Chat now
iPad (1st generation)
iPad 2 (2nd generation)
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad (4th generation)
iPad mini with Retina display
Ratings & Reviews
Fantastic device - more convenient, and SAFER
Admittedly, these are a lot more expensive than the 9V smoke and CO detectors you can buy at your local hardware store. But I thi Admittedly, these are a lot more expensive than the 9V smoke and CO detectors you can buy at your local hardware store. But I think the features and functionality justify the price.
First, as you'll see if you watch the advertising video, Nest has eliminated all the problems that cause people to disconnect and remove their smoke detectors; thus, they increase safety be increasing the odds that they will actually be working when you need them.
Second, they all speak to one another, and to you. So if there's a fire in your basement, the alarm will also sound in your bedroom, and announce that there's a fire in the basement. Conventional smoke detectors and CO detectors only sound the alarm where they are, not where YOU are.
Those two benefits alone are worth the price of admission to me. I bought 6 of them (two hardwire, 4 battery units) and replaced all the smoke and CO detectors in my entire house. I couldn't be happier with them. …
- Written by Joseph C from San Francisco
32 of 33 people found this useful
Another Great Product
We are replacing our dumb smoke detectors with the Nest Protects. We have a hard wired one and a battery powered one at this time We are replacing our dumb smoke detectors with the Nest Protects. We have a hard wired one and a battery powered one at this time. We plan on installing several more in the future. I love the look of these. I'm hoping Nest will come out with an intelligent doorbell in the future. …
- Written by Terresa S from Gloucester
23 of 25 people found this useful
Packaged much like an Apple product (good thing) and easy to setup. Impressive technology. I've only got one so far but plan on im Packaged much like an Apple product (good thing) and easy to setup. Impressive technology. I've only got one so far but plan on implementing them throughout the house. This is my first Nest product and I'm impressed with the attention to detail and the features of the product. …
- Written by David H from Falls Church
23 of 26 people found this useful
Another amazing Nest product!
After trying out the Nest thermostat and being completely wowed by it, I was quick to pick up the Protect. Happy to report it's be After trying out the Nest thermostat and being completely wowed by it, I was quick to pick up the Protect. Happy to report it's been a great addition to our household. Safety shouldn't be annoying or unsafe and they really got the point across with the Protect. Great packaging, easy to install, and easy to setup. What really sold me was the fact it works in conjunction with the thermostat in both terms of helping home efficiency, as well as an added layer of protection by shutting off the furnace in the event of high CO2 or a fire. My family's safety and peace of mind is easily worth the price of this product. …
- Written by jason M from lethbridge
3 of 3 people found this useful
Best smoke detector ever
I love my Nest Protect. Easy to install. Voice alerts and wave to stop are great. We had disabled the kitchen alarm due to frequen I love my Nest Protect. Easy to install. Voice alerts and wave to stop are great. We had disabled the kitchen alarm due to frequent false alarms. I feel safe knowing it is on now. …
- Written by Shirley W from Bainbridge Is
3 of 3 people found this useful
From the purchase to the install; Everything has been perfect. The product works just as advertised, without any issues.
- Written by Andrew B from North Royalton
2 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Will it work if the wireless is off ? (Alerting if there's smoke in the room)? Or it'll be disabled without wireless ?
- Asked by Mshari D from Springfield Gardens
- Dec 21, 2013
The wireless is used to notify you via smart device whenever the device goes off. The actual devices The wireless is used to notify you via smart device whenever the device goes off. The actual devices themselves use their own interconnect (known as threading) to talk to each other. So, when one goes off, the others will go off as well, regardless of an active wifi. You just won't get the notification if the wifi is down. …
- Answered by Catriona L from Chico
- Jan 8, 2014
Is there a detector needed in each room?
- Asked by Richard N from Conroe
- Nov 20, 2013
Generally no but depending on your state of residence the laws are different. Generally a smoke dete Generally no but depending on your state of residence the laws are different. Generally a smoke detector is required in every bedroom and the hallways leading to those rooms and the kitchen. Check with your local Fire Department they will have the best and latest codes for your state. …
- Answered by Leslie M from Hampton
- Nov 22, 2013
Will it work if the wireless is off ? (Alerting if there's smoke/fire/Co2)? Or it'll be disabled without wireless ? same question for the Thermostat
- Asked by Douglas G from Toronto
- Jan 13, 2014
How many nest smoke detectors can be added together in one house
- Asked by Randy K from Boston
- Dec 1, 2013
The user manual says that "You can connect up to 10 interconnected to a Nest Account", I would assum The user manual says that "You can connect up to 10 interconnected to a Nest Account", I would assume that's the limit. …
- Answered by Lionel G
- Dec 4, 2013
Does this CO alarm conform to EN50291:2012, the European standard for CO alarms
- Asked by Kevin M
- Nov 29, 2013
According to the manufacturer, Nest Protect complies with all of the following smoke and carbon mono According to the manufacturer, Nest Protect complies with all of the following smoke and carbon monoxide alarm standards:
UL 2034 - “Single and Multi Station Carbon Monoxide Alarms”
UL 217 - “Single and Multi Station Smoke Alarms”
CSA 6.19-01 - “Residential carbon monoxide alarming devices”
CAN-ULC-S531-02 “Standard for Smoke Alarms”
BS EN-14604 - “Smoke alarm devices”
BS EN-50271:2010 - “Electrical apparatus for the detection and measurement of combustible gases, toxic gases or oxygen”
BS EN-50291 - “Electrical apparatus for the detection of carbon monoxide in domestic premises”
BS EN-50292 - Electrical apparatus for the detection of carbon monoxide in domestic premises — Guide on the selection, installation, use and maintenance” …
- Answered by Miles R
- Dec 10, 2013