Similar questions from the community
Will I require an existing internet connection to use the Express, or can I use It's wireless features offline?
I would like to know if if can use the Airport Express without an internet connection?
I have a Mac Pro, currently I must set up an ad-hoc wifi network each time I want to connect my iPhone and iPad wirelessly to my Mac.
Will the Express allow me to create a lasting wireless network (as opposed to having to set up an ad-hoc network whenever I want to connect my devices wirelessly to my Mac?)
I receive my internet through my iPhone's wireless hotspot connection, so I do not have a router.
- Asked by Peter M from Armidale
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I require an existing internet connection to use the Express, or can I use It's wireless features offline?)
Can i use my airport express to both extend my network and connect a printer for wireless printing at the same time or do i need two airport expresses
I have an airport express hooked up to a printer in my office which is located a considerable distance from my base station and I have an IMac in my office as well. I was hoping that the airport express could be configured to extend my network as well as be used to connect the printer to the network. When I go to configure it it is more of an either one or the other proposition by asking me if I want to do one or the other during the set up. Do I need two airport expresses if I want to do both things?
- Asked by Kevin M from Ridgewood
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use my airport express to both extend my network and connect a printer for wireless printing at the same time or do i need two airport expresses)
If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?
I'm moving, and will be getting a Comcast modem/router combo for cable and internet. Can my Mac be set up wi-fi without connecting it to an ethernet cable?
- Asked by Denise W from Roseville
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?)
can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express
I have a Brother Laser printer that is wireless 2270DW and an epson wireless printer that students are using in an dorm. I have set secure wireless network but need to know if these two printers can print wirelessly or do they need to be connected via printer cable to Airport Express to perform wireless printing? Last but not least you us a spliter on the USB outlet on the Airport express and hardwire the two printers via printer cables?
- Asked by Chris P from Sandy Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express)
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
Will having a printer in the USB port of the AirPort Express allow me to print?
I have an HP printer that is not AirPrint capable. The printer does have wireless capability as I can print using my laptop PC but not my iPad or iPhone. If I hook it up to the USB port on the AirPort Express will I be able to print from my iPad or iPhones?
- Asked by Adrian K from Spartanburg
- Flag as inappropriate (Will having a printer in the USB port of the AirPort Express allow me to print?)
Can AirPort Express be used to link devices such as iMac, iPad, AppleTV etc... WITHOUT ANY INTERNET CONNECTION?
I want to create a wireless network in my home for my apple devices, but do not want to connect them to the internet (at this stage). Will AirPort Express allow me to stream music & video held on my iMac on my TV via AppleTV?
- Asked by Tom B from Adelaide
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPort Express be used to link devices such as iMac, iPad, AppleTV etc... WITHOUT ANY INTERNET CONNECTION?)
Will this set up communication between a wireless printer and an iPad without outside network?
I have no wi-fi and want to set up a wireless printer to print stuff from my iPad. Can I do it with this router?
- Asked by Theresa J G from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this set up communication between a wireless printer and an iPad without outside network?)
I have a wireless broadband internet connection, can I use Airport Express to connect my iPad to the web with this kind of internet connection?
- Asked by Barrie C from Blackheath
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a wireless broadband internet connection, can I use Airport Express to connect my iPad to the web with this kind of internet connection?)
If I connect my non-wireless printer to the AirPort Express Base Station, can I print directly from my iPhone when it is connected to the network?
- Asked by Theresa I from Staten Island
- Flag as inappropriate (If I connect my non-wireless printer to the AirPort Express Base Station, can I print directly from my iPhone when it is connected to the network?)
No Internet network in our RV?
Can we set up a network in our RV, with a airport express and AppleTV? We will not have internet access at the campground, but want to use Airplay from our iOS devices. Is this possible without an Internet connection?
- Asked by Jason C from Hebron
- Flag as inappropriate (No Internet network in our RV?)
No answers yet
No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?
My wife and I live in a very rural area without internet. We have a mobile share plan (with tethering) for out Iphone 4s'. I want to setup a wireless speaker network to play my itunes music around the house. Will the airport express allow this?
If I understand correctly, I will need to purchase multiple airport expresses. Let's say, 4 total, 1 for each room I want speakers in and one connected to my PC with my Itunes library? I connect each airport to a set of speakers in said rooms and I can control the itunes library from my iphone via an app from anywhere in the house, and it's all completed wireless save the connections from airport ex to speakers and pc.
please help me make sure this is clear before I go and spend $400 bucks on these pups.
- Asked by Susan M from Monroe
- Flag as inappropriate (No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?)
Do I need a fast internet connection if I plan to use AirPort Express only to stream music from my iOS device to AirPort Express-connected speakers?
What I'm trying to set up is this: I have a primary router in one room, and then I'll have AirPort Express in another room. The AirPort Express will have speakers attached to it. I also plan to move AirPort Express around the house for the times I want to take music to another room. My iOS devices and my AirPort Express will always be in the same room.
My concern is: if I stream music from my iOS device to my AirPort Express speakers, will the music have to be streamed first to my primary router in the other room before being relayed back to AirPort Express? Or will my iOS device have a direct connection? The reason I'm wondering this is that I've noticed that with iTunes wifi sync, I'm actually required to be online, even if my Mac and iOS device are in the same room. I believe that's the same for the iOS remote app as well. So it seems that I have to go through the cloud first anytime my iOS and Mac communicate wirelessly with each other. My concern now is, is that going to be required for streaming music to the AirPort Express that is just a few feet away from me? Because I hope not. I have thick walls in my house and my AirPort Express will probably at times be far from the main router. Additionally, I only have a 1 mbps connection (there are no faster connections in my area). So if I have to go through the cloud first before being able to stream music, there could be significant skipping.
Can I connect a network printer to the airport express using the Eathernet port and then print from my ipad or iPhone using AirPrint .
- Asked by Marcus M from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a network printer to the airport express using the Eathernet port and then print from my ipad or iPhone using AirPrint .)
Can I use the AirPort Express to connect to my existing wireless and then make my printer and music play wirelessly?
I already have a wireless router, and wired printer. I want to extend my wireless range, and I also want to be able to turn my wired printer into a wireless one, along with my wired speakers into wireless speakers. Is this possible?
- Asked by Xavier S from Washington
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the AirPort Express to connect to my existing wireless and then make my printer and music play wirelessly?)
Can you print using a usb printer via the airport express in your iPad?
- Asked by Angelo Roleo B from Legazpi
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you print using a usb printer via the airport express in your iPad?)