Similar questions from the community
DCHP Scope. Does the AirPort Express have DHCP scope limitations; i.e., can it only support a limited number of wireless devices?
- Asked by Dale R from Holly Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (DCHP Scope. Does the AirPort Express have DHCP scope limitations; i.e., can it only support a limited number of wireless devices?)
Can you have multiple devices running off the airport express or are there limitations? Is the airport express compatible with Hughes net?
- Asked by Julie L from Machesney Park
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you have multiple devices running off the airport express or are there limitations? Is the airport express compatible with Hughes net?)
Can I restrict access to this device with a whitelist of MAC addresses?
I currently use another brand of router which has limited capacity to list MAC addresses. And the number of devices at home is increasing.
I'm considering getting an Airport Express -- but it will only help me if I can create a whitelist of around 50 MAC addresses.
I want to deny access to any device that is not listed.
Can I accomplish this with an AirPort Express?
- Asked by David K from Mississauga
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I restrict access to this device with a whitelist of MAC addresses?)
Can the Airport Express use a cell phone "hotspot"?
While sailing in Puget Sound, I use my cell phone "hot Spot" for a wireless access point. However the range is limited. Could an Airport Express use the hotspot as the "Source" network and extend it?
- Asked by Arnie H from Bremerton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Express use a cell phone "hotspot"?)
Will the Airport Express work with a satellite broadband system (Tooway)?
i.e. by connecting the Airport to the satellite modem via ethernet cable will this enable me to connect other devices (e.g. iphone and ipad) wirelessly?
- Asked by Richard F
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express work with a satellite broadband system (Tooway)?)
is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV
I want to bring the iTunes library to my stereo, and googling on this there were a number of posts that suggested that Airport Extreme had better decoding for CD quality audio then did the AppleTV. All the iTunes files are of course digital, and I am intending to use the optical output of either the Airport Express or AppleTV.
To really hear a difference I would need to do an A/B test of one against the other - which I do not intend to do, but I do have a very high end system so when things are not as they should be there is no hiding it.
I don't need the AppleTV right now for the theater setting - so video streaming ability would be on hold there, for now but likely added sometime in the next year or so.
It's really a matter of which device is going to be better for delivering the iTunes music library to the stereo system. Why there would be a different between the Airport Extreme and the AppleTV is not clear to me. The limiting source would seem to be the bit rate of the files in iTunes - but perhaps I am missing something. Perhaps there is a difference in DA converters - though that too would seem strange, but with the use of the Digital Optical Out I would think that there should be no difference.
But certainly better to know about it before I buy the device and get it set up - appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
- Asked by Dan R from Superior
- Flag as inappropriate (is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV)
Can AirPlay Sync music over multiple devices? i.e. Apple TV and an Airport Express?
I currently have an Apple TV in the living room with my Network set up of my Time Cap. With the AirPlay feature of the Airport Express can I sync music being played off the Apple TV to the AE in an other room?
- Asked by Mark H
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPlay Sync music over multiple devices? i.e. Apple TV and an Airport Express?)
Does the AirPort Express Base Station support "Wake on Demand" (Bonjour Sleep Proxy)?
Providing the wireless network is hosted by airport express, will I be able to wake my imac (2013) to access itunes library from my apple tv?
- Asked by Joachim F
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort Express Base Station support "Wake on Demand" (Bonjour Sleep Proxy)?)
Can I plug an ethernet-only wired device into an Airport Express so it can connect to my network?
I have a Cisco IP telephone that requires a wired Ethernet connection. I need to install it away from my primary Airport Extreme router. Can I use the Express to serve as a wired to wireless bridge? Thanks!
- Asked by D Gavin G from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I plug an ethernet-only wired device into an Airport Express so it can connect to my network?)
Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?
The only limitation I have with the current generation of Airport Express is the fact that I can only plug in one wired device when using it to extend or join a current network. If someone gets one of these and has an existing network, could you please find out if both ports are usable or if you need to buy an external hub to connect 2 wired devices to the network.
- Asked by Julian A from Gilbert
- Flag as inappropriate (Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?)
What are the dimensions of the device?
- Asked by Michael P from Newnan
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the dimensions of the device?)
No answers yet
What is the number of connections the airport express can handle?
- Asked by Tyler W from Wausau
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the number of connections the airport express can handle?)
How many connected devices // users does it support?
The original Express only supported 10 devices...
- Asked by Fernando M from Von Ormy
- Flag as inappropriate (How many connected devices // users does it support?)
Does USB port of AirPort Express support 3G UMTS modem for internet sharing...?
i.e By connecting the 3g dongle to the usb port we can utilize the internet connection on the network.
- Asked by Sushil J from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Does USB port of AirPort Express support 3G UMTS modem for internet sharing...?)
Do I need a fast internet connection if I plan to use AirPort Express only to stream music from my iOS device to AirPort Express-connected speakers?
What I'm trying to set up is this: I have a primary router in one room, and then I'll have AirPort Express in another room. The AirPort Express will have speakers attached to it. I also plan to move AirPort Express around the house for the times I want to take music to another room. My iOS devices and my AirPort Express will always be in the same room.
My concern is: if I stream music from my iOS device to my AirPort Express speakers, will the music have to be streamed first to my primary router in the other room before being relayed back to AirPort Express? Or will my iOS device have a direct connection? The reason I'm wondering this is that I've noticed that with iTunes wifi sync, I'm actually required to be online, even if my Mac and iOS device are in the same room. I believe that's the same for the iOS remote app as well. So it seems that I have to go through the cloud first anytime my iOS and Mac communicate wirelessly with each other. My concern now is, is that going to be required for streaming music to the AirPort Express that is just a few feet away from me? Because I hope not. I have thick walls in my house and my AirPort Express will probably at times be far from the main router. Additionally, I only have a 1 mbps connection (there are no faster connections in my area). So if I have to go through the cloud first before being able to stream music, there could be significant skipping.